HELP NEEDED TO MAKE MY OWN JEANS

viv1984viv

I say find a cheapo pair that you like the basic fit/cut, and rip out all the seams and work your pattern from there. you could even use shorts, and add legnth to get the leg if you cant find a good pant.

Tips:

-measure twice, hell thrice, and cut once.

-Use a new sewing machine needle, nice and sharp, it will be easier that way.

-invest in a good chalk stick that washes out without smudging all over the place while you trace.

-NEVER watch TV and sew.... just dont do it, it is DANGEROUS (but I'm clumsy)

-take breaks, your back will get all cramped if you dont

-take your time

Okay, that's all I can say about this, I have yet to venture into jeans, but have done lots of skirts/dresses/tops/shorts/pants (in non-denim, mostly linens and silks)

Masochism at it's finest.

i am also looking for patterns, i took apart a pair of jeans i like for the pattern but i want more, something thin. and i dont want to have to keep taking apart my jeans to do it.

are there any companies that make good thin or slim fitting patterns?

websites that sell them?

call it what you want..

Guest jeffvyain

is it THAT hard to take a basic pattern and make alterations to it to change the fit? it seems like if you want something a little thinner, you could just do it...but then again i have no idea what i'm talking about

vogue patterns had some alright jeans patterns - even had a c klein one for a while

i recomend making a sketch of them first in calico or something cheap, this way you can practice tricky bits like the fly and once you have the basic shape right you can draw details on while wearing them - pocket size and shape etc making sure the proportions are aestheticly pleasing...

most important is making sure you cut the denim on a good grain / angle or you gonna get fugly leg twists

and buy propa denim needles they cost a bit more but save a lot of swearing

good luck

tgsig.jpg

Tg76, some good tips there, Ill have to go hunting for denim needles then....

At what angle should I cut the legs then, should I presume to go for a 45degreeish angle like the grain on my legs???

Oh sleezy, if your in the uk go to john lewis sewing dept, loads of old biddies willing to help! I got a pattern for 4 quid, tight bootcut, im just gonna bring the hems in to taper them.

Gonna make my first pair in cotton, 1 so I dont mess up on denim first, 2 cos theyll be cool in summer , 3 cos I aint got any denim yet.........

Anyone reading this know where to get good denim fabric ( preferably indigo dyed ), other than in large quantities from foreign lands through a website???????

viv,

i've been starting my own sportswear company for the past 8 months with a focus on denim for our first season, and i've been through like 90 different fits before getting the right one. What i would do if i were you is to take apart a pair of old jeans that you don't wear anymore that you like, make a pattern of the pieces with pattern paper, and cut everything on grain, i.e. lay the front and back patterns perpindicular to the edges. . , and then sew... all of my prototypes were sewn through a home machine.. so yeah... laksdjf;laskfj.... it takes a while though..

booty clap contest anyone?.......

At what angle should I cut the legs then, should I presume to go for a 45degreeish angle like the grain on my legs???

yeahish....ill try and find a pattern with grainline on when i get home

tgsig.jpg