condoms in tokyo

chad

i was walking around daikanyama backstreets today and found a strange sight - a condom vending machine.

this was strange because you do not often see something like this in the lovely suburban daikanyama area (or cum to think of it, I havent even seen it in kabukicho or other places). i looked around for love hotels, or tried to think of some other reason, but i couldnt cum up with anything. it is in an empty street next to the toyoko train line.

i thought that maybe i had found lovers spot, where couples drive here and watch the trains go by? or maybe at night it turns into a seedy pimp filled street? or maybe it could be a government safe-sex initiative to put condom vending machines in 'action' areas? or maybe a business idea trying to capitalise on young love? or a clueless ojisan that purchased these machines by the thousands during the bubble in a get rich quick scheme and is trying to get rid of them in tougher times? there are so many convenience stores around that it should make something like this worthless. there must be deeper meaning to it.

anyone with any ideas?

condoms_sml1.jpg

the vending machine

large photo - http://superfuture.com/city/supertalk/images/threads/condoms1.jpg

condoms_sml2.jpg

vending machine on the left, on an empty street. toyoko train line is on the right.

large photo - http://superfuture.com/city/supertalk/images/threads/condoms2.jpg

condoms_sml3.jpg

detail shot.

large photo - http://superfuture.com/city/supertalk/images/threads/condoms3.jpg

Edited by chad on Jan 5, 2004 at 10:01 AM

You were asking about the sign. The top says something like "bright family planning", and the second line indicates that's it's top-grade stuff. There's actually a condom vending machine not far from where I live, and it would be considered a residential area (the machine is on a small shopping street, but never busy at all).

As for the Daikanyama machine you saw, well, since Daikanyama is where all the cool kids wanna hang out, I guess it's a good place to reach them.

Jean Snow

http://jeansnow.net

i live just across the tracks from there.. a few months back, i asked two guys smoking near the entrance of the office building next to the machine about it - they said that it has been there a long, long time. older office guy said the only thing that had changed in the last coupla years was the addition of the theft deterrent chain. they have never seen it being serviced or used (but admitted that they are there only during the daytime, outta the prime binge-condom-purchasing time).

my vote is with oji-san patiently waiting for his ROI.. even if it takes another fifteen years.

capsul

speaking of condom machines, I remember when I was in Tokyo a few years ago, me and my friends were out drinking and we were stumbling home when we came upon a...well, it's like a sex shop vending machine - there was school girl panties, a blow-up doll, panty hose, and other assorted stuff - we shoulda taken pictures but we didn't....if I remember correctly, it was south of Takadanobaba .....crazy shit.....

E

-----------------------------------------------

It's not LA, it's Hell-A !

Quote:

speaking of condom machines, I remember when I was in Tokyo a few years ago, me and my friends were out drinking and we were stumbling home when we came upon a...well, it's like a sex shop vending machine - there was school girl panties, a blow-up doll, panty hose, and other assorted stuff - we shoulda taken pictures but we didn't....if I remember correctly, it was south of Takadanobaba .....crazy shit.....

E

--- Original message by eric2019 on Jan 7, 2004 10:43 AM

I always thought the panty vending machines were an urban myth.

You know , I thought they were urban myths too until I saw that machine. Anyone from the Takadanobada area who can vouch for this ? I remember it was not on the main road but one of those smaller ones that cut through to the main roads. It was a small parking lot - I think 4 car size and the machine was in that lot....damn I really wish we had taken pictures...I can't rememebr if we even had our camera with us or not.... I believe we were talking in a north-east way and it was on our left handside...oh well, whatever...

Anyone else seen something like this before ?

-----------------------------------------------

It's not LA, it's Hell-A !

speaking of condoms, thought i would report a few tokyo items. maybe these are available everywhere else?

recently there have been advertisements everywhere for a new thinner condom. it is apparently a breakthrough in rubber technology allowing 0.3mm thickness.

"Okamoto Condoms' 0.03 millimeter rubber cap allows the condom to expand safely to as big as a daikon radish. Thin and durable, it transfers body temperature and almost feels like you are not wearing a condom." (from japantoday.com)

http://www.003mm.com/

but for my personal favourite is a condom that has some type of parachute rip-cord for deployment. at the crucial moment, place the rolled up condom on the tip, and then pull the rip-cord and the condom auto-unrolls. i like it because it is so dramatic. i feel like a paratrooper about the jump off a plane and into battle. it makes the moment more fun.

speaking of condoms.... thought it was a good time to mention some condom trends in tokyo.

lately there have been many big advertisements for a new condom that is about half as thin as normal condoms.

"Okamoto Condoms' 0.03 millimeter rubber cap allows the condom to expand safely to as big as a daikon radish. Thin and durable, it transfers body temperature and almost feels like you are not wearing a condom" from japan today. site is here >> http://www.003mm.com/

the other great thing i noticed, and these might be available everywhere, are condoms with "rip-cords" that you pull to activate the condom. you place the condom at the end, and give the cord a yank and it automagically unrolls. it adds some drama to the moment, and can be done by either party. very fun! feels like you are about to jump out of a plane and into some action. ready.. 1-2-3.. go!