NYC Clubs -- what are people rocking these days?

peteyross

I hate to be that guy with jeans, black shoes and two buttons undone on a striped shirt. Unforntunately though this seems to be a standard get-up that passes most dress-codes and or bouncers.

What have other people rocked? (keep in mind I'm talking about higher-end clubs here...like $300-$400 per bottle table service type places)

As somewhat of an expert in this area, I respectfully disagree with both of the above comments.

Unless you want to go to a bridge and tunnel-esque lounge in Midtown somewhere or a club that DOESN'T ALLOW SNEAKERS, then you certainly don't have to wear the uniform of "button down, unflattering jeans and black kenneth coles." However, I wouldn't go as far as to say "People don't care what you're wearing as long as they know they'll get their money" They will get their money regardless, and the thing that will continue to allow them to get money is the quality of their clientele.

First and foremost, how much thought or style you put into your club clothes depends on the quality and style of the girls you are with. NY clubs, at least any ones of the upper echelon, which include: Marquee, Double 7, Stereo, Bungalow 8, Cain, Pink Elephant, among others. If you are with hot girls, it really doesnt matter how your dressed. If you are flying solo or with a couple of other guys, you will definately have to put s'more effort into your look. Remember that most of the doormen who are in charge of letting people in, are either 1) Gay or 2) Metrosexual. Often times they receive free clothes from top notch designers to maintain a proper look. In turn, any of these doormen whomever it may be, Armin, Aramis, Wass, Erickson, etc., will immediately know if you are club worthy or not even before you get to the entrance. They will spot you from three blocks away if you are wearing a striped button down and Mavi Jeans, and at that point you are dead in the water.

Where is this all going? I would apply the rule Dan Harringon applies to his No Limit Holdem, and that is: K.I.S.S. or Keep it Simple Stupid.

I would say that 75% of outfits seen in WDYWT, would be ok. I would remain on the safe side and not go too casual, esp. if you don't know anyone at these clubs, so you might stay away from looking hypebeast, skater or whatever. I would also say, the Cobra Snake look is a little too, em, 'mismatched' even for NY taste.

but fitted denim jeans, some designer sneaks by swear or just plain ol' Cons/Vans, fitted T-shirt, and then to top it off something unique that will say "I have arrived" never hurts. Once you become a regular a place or get to know the bouncers, you can increasingly wear whatever the eff you want. It's kind of a fun game, for instance, I would be wearing shorts and walk into Bungalow 8 with a plastic bag with a tuna sandwich inside, sit next to a group decked out in tuxedos and it was all good. Just gotta know your situations, places, which night your going out, etc...

Also, if you're going anywhere in the L.E.S., youre pretty safe wearing whateva the F you want.

Cheers.

Ham sandwich on stale rye bread. Lots of mayo, easy on the ham.

Edited by sleazie ninja number 47 on Apr 27, 2006 at 06:00 PM

Absolutely true. Girls rule the club. I would also like to add that you should try to be an exception to the rule when going out and be-friend the bar tenders, owners, workers. If everyone is street style, do it a bit formal; rock a blazer. If everyone is in formal/dressy, dress-it-down. Also have a center piece to an outfit, be it a blazer, or some hot kicks. For example last week at a club I rocked a black slim DH suit with blood red sneakers, draws attention to the shoes but keeps it classy...Also, here in Tokyo, Ive gotten pretty close with a ton of people at various clubs. One night there was a strict black suit dress code but because my bros and I knew the club owner we got in for free in t-shirts and jeans. Needless to say all the girls were eyeing us cuz we stood out and couldn't figure out how we got in. Plus, standing out makes a great conversation opener.

I live in Tokyo, bro. I think i should know. Many of the clubs I go to have dress codes. U just don't hear bout em cuz they don't entertain the foreign cliente.

Edited by djrajio on Apr 27, 2006 at 11:15 PM

i'm japanese bro! i think we go to different types of clubs though--i go mostly to hip hop clubs.

i'm sure you'll agree that hip hop clubs in tokyo generally don't have a dress code, even the ones that are exclusively for natives.

the dress code at hip hop clubs in new york is generally to keep out knuckle heads.

Yeah Hip hop clubs like Harlem, Vuenos, Club Nuts don't (but then again, most japanese hip-hop clubs have their own "dress-code" i.e. Look like MTV videos with everyone trying so hard *i degress*) but try getting into Genius on a friday night without a suit or Velours or Luxg on a Saturday night without looking fashionable and you'll get asked to turn around at the door...

Edited by djrajio on Apr 28, 2006 at 01:40 AM

I got turned away from Harlem coz I didnt have any girls with me at new years. I tried to recruit one in the convenience store and just scared a lot of girls icon_smile_dead.gif. Went and saw DJ Shadow at Club Asia instead...I think its such a dump they let in anyone.. DJ Shadow was great tho.

Got W)Taps? The United Snakes of America: http://stores.ebay.com/Cobra-Command

LEAD, FOLLOW OR GET THE FUCK OUTTA MY WAY. EVERYBODYS GONNA DIE. 12345666789 - this guy is nuts, I gotta get me more I:M!

Quote:

awesome MilSpex. i would take dj shadow live over harlem any day.

--- Original message by mizanation on Apr 28, 2006 05:39 AM

Did I say Shadow. Oh fuck, I meant Krush, the japanese one...icon_smile_blush.gif

LEAD, FOLLOW OR GET THE FUCK OUTTA MY WAY. EVERYBODYS GONNA DIE. 12345666789 - this guy is nuts, I gotta get me more I:M!

True the politics aspect of it is very stupid... But I do know this:

1) Pabst is not my steez.

2) I'd rather be castrated then to have to live in Boston.

3) It's [the politics] is all worth it in the end, when you are sitting at a table with 15 (sometimes 20) hot models, free bottles of champagne and vodka and they're all wondering who the hell you are b/c you're wearing a new era, jeans and thinking "why are we sitting around this dude."

4) I'd rather be politiking rather than sitting on my ass at home, or even worse, waiting on line ouside somewhere waiting to not get let in. (Actually in my older age, I would probably rather stay home and shop on Ebay, but that's neither here nor there).

Ham sandwich on stale rye bread. Lots of mayo, easy on the ham.

Quote:

I believe DJ shadow was playing at AIR in Daikanyama.

--- Original message by djrajio on Apr 28, 2006 05:58 AM

I`ve seen Krush 3 times now, every time is totally different so its cool but if I had known DJ shadow was at Air (Much better atmosphere than Club Asia) I would have been on that.

regarding the girls, it is discusting but a true fact.. girls=you get to go wherever you want and the bouncers do not give a fuck what you look like. for example, when i go out with the swedish bitches i met in college i can walk straight in to bungalow 8, stereo, marquee without a problem. however, the very few times i have been there with my homies looking dressed up they look down at us like bums :) as a result, i only go to bars and shit when i do not bring the women with me. one of my favourites are definately spring loung on spring street between mulberry and elizabeth (i think).. there's a really nice place called pianos over at lower east side worth checking out if you are a regular guy looking to have a good night.

look through my blackened eyes and you'll see ten thousand lies

regarding the girls, it is discusting but a true fact.. girls=you get to go wherever you want and the bouncers do not give a fuck what you look like. for example, when i go out with the swedish bitches i met in college i can walk straight in to bungalow 8, stereo, marquee without a problem. however, the very few times i have been there with my homies looking dressed up they look down at us like bums :) as a result, i only go to bars and shit when i do not bring the women with me. one of my favourites are definately spring loung on spring street between mulberry and elizabeth (i think).. there's a really nice place called pianos over at lower east side worth checking out if you are a regular guy looking to have a good night.

look through my blackened eyes and you'll see ten thousand lies

Quote: when you are sitting at a table with 15 (sometimes 20) hot models, free bottles of champagne and vodka and they're all wondering who the hell you are b/c you're wearing a new era, jeans and thinking "why are we sitting around this dude."
hahahahahahahaha

Yeah, in my experience, its always good to have a couple hot plutonic girls friends that you'd never think of f@cking but are down for having fun. Not only do they help you get into clubs, sometimes free or with discounts, they help peak the interest of others around cuz they can't figure out the relationship, they can help you wingman and pull girls you are interested in. I always try to roll with some girls when going out or my model guy friends.

hey dj rajio,

saw your pic in WAYWT, and you look pretty young (though you might not be). my wife (who used to be a tokyo party promoter) says it's harder to get into some exclusive clubs in tokyo when you look young (under 25), especially if you are not japanese. if you are having any problems now, i'm sure they will disappear in a few years!

I wear whatever I want and I don't obey any NYC club rules, smoking inside included, plus my posse are all so stylish, in the company of 2 girls at least. Also I stay away from clubs not in the downtown area. If ever I get any invitation to go to some Midtown club, I wear my darkest, punk attire, I go in I don't care say hello to my friend, then roll. It's all about attitude

Edited by darkanimal on May 3, 2006 at 09:51 AM

Quote:
Quote:

I believe DJ shadow was playing at AIR in Daikanyama.

--- Original message by djrajio on Apr 28, 2006 05:58 AM

I`ve seen Krush 3 times now, every time is totally different so its cool but if I had known DJ shadow was at Air (Much better atmosphere than Club Asia) I would have been on that.

--- Original message by MilSpex on Apr 29, 2006 08:59 AM

that time was in september. shadow hasn't been to Tokyo since. but that show was dope, he only palyed obscure funk but it was really good. Krush's really good also, i've seen him like 5 times and like you say, everytime is just so different, but always good.

Quote:

darkanimal, your site is dope. very good stuff.

--- Original message by mizanation on May 3, 2006 10:13 AM

Why thank you. It's about time for a redesign of that, I'm working on it 80% done.

IF THE CLUB WON'T LET YOU IN WHY WASTE YOUR TIME AND ENERGY TRYING TO ABIDE THEIR RULES AND DRESS LIKE THE REST OF THEM, QUIT SUCKING THE CLUBS DICK,

DO WHAT I DO, GET ON THE LIST AND GO THERE WITH LIKE 5 GILRS