Levis Shrink To Fit

sneakeraddict

Already got some LVC raws, 47 model but am a bit worried about washing them due to potentially too much shrinkage.

So Im plannning to buy a regular Levis 501 STF since I am hearing good things about them. Dont care that its not selvedge.

Just wanted to know, how slim are they?

I really dont want them to be any slimmer than the 47 and ideally it would be cool if they were looser on the thigh and knee.

cheers for any info

Quote:

I really dont want them to be any slimmer than the 47 and ideally it would be cool if they were looser on the thigh and knee.

then you are in luck. they are looser there (and in the seat as well). Watch out, though; if you intend to shrink them, they run a little big (about a size i'd say).

thanks for response.

I bought a 47, (38 x 38) and after a cold soak they are pretty much perfect on the length, maybe a bit big on the waist, but still bearable. I guess I could afford to lose an inch on the leg, as they currently stand. However, I'm not sure if I want to risk washing them, so I think the best solution might just be to keep and dry clean only.

This is why I want to get a regualr 501 STF. I plan on getting a 38 x 40, so I can just live in them as normal - meaning I dont have to worry about washing them and shrinkage etc. If they are still too long after a couple if washes, I can just roll them up no worries

So I am glad I found that out thanks

swisloc is right about them running a size big. In most jeans I wear a 30, so I ordered some regular mexican 501 STF's in 31 and I gave them a cold wash and I even washed them and the waist is still a little big. Wish I wouldn't have followed the directions on the label about sizing up for the waist.

Dude, seriously you should wear your 47s and to wash them just hand wash them in a tub with little detergent and in cold water. They shrink very little in a cold hand wash.

Quote:

Dude, seriously you should wear your 47s and to wash them just hand wash them in a tub with little detergent and in cold water. They shrink very little in a cold hand wash.

--- Original message by rnrswitch on Apr 30, 2006 12:15 PM

Really?

That's good news then.

I also want to get a STF for my own 'research' so to speak.

I look at this way, I love the 47, but it cost me £117. I dont wear them cuffed with selvedge showing, so really there is no way to know that they are 'expensive' jeans. (Not that I care, because they are very well made)

My point is this - if I can get a similar pair of jeans for 30 US, and get pretty much the same fading effects - is it really worth paying mega bucks for the LVC range?

You will never get the same fading effects from an STF jean compared to the LVC. You will see some STFs that look decent in pictures, but if compared to some higher end jeans in real life the differences are drastic. STFs tend to peak in appearance and then fade to a light blue, but LVCs will continually look better with time.

actually they do shrink the amount thats mentioned..i bought a 31x34 raw then soaked it in hot water for 8 hours because i had left to work..when i came home i let them dry and they fit 30x31 and they were darkish blue as if you would cold soak.

I got some 31x34 a few months ago. When I got them they had that shimmer and seemed huge! They slipped off me at the waist and made me feel tiny because they were so long. I took a warm shower with them on and filled the tub up with hot water and swished them around a little bit. Lots of indigo left the jeans and it smelled like cornbread. I let them sit in the water overnight and hung them up to dry. They did shrink considerably, but I think they ended about 31x32. They lost the shimmer and I've been wearing them ever since even though they are a little loose in the waist since I followed the tag directions on sizing of "1 up in the waist, 3 up in the length." I was going for 30x31.

All of the 501 stfs that I have bought are my correct size. They fit large at first and then shrink to tagged size. I am a 31 waist and I usually buy a size 31.

• 2 weeks later...

The last pair that I bought was 34 x 38. Washed them once in hot water with cold rinse. No drier. They are still pretty stiff. The waist tightened up about 1/2 inch. I'd say they shrunk about 3 inches on the inseam. There is still a little extra room in the back between the pockets. I think this will be less noticeable as they soften up, which will allow them to lay flatter. My advice is don't size up in the waist and seat. Do allow at least 3 inches on the leg.

Quote: My advice is don't size up in the waist and seat. Do allow at least 3 inches on the leg.

i got my true size 30x32. I could have used a bit more on length though. icon_smile_dissapprove.gif

After cold-soaking inside out for a good 8 hours, they shrank a bunch, to the point where the waist barely fit and my ankles were exposed. I'd put it at about 28x28. I got the excess water out by putting them in the dryer (lowest heat/tumble) for a minute or so (stained the shit out of the rotating drum). put them on damp, and the jeans stretched out again in the seat/thigh/waist area. I pulled on the leg (while damp) to get them to my proper length, and now there is some drag when I wear them w/o shoes. After going commando for a few days, the waist became about an inch loose. After a month of wear and heavy skating, the pants are still somewhat slim, but not unbearably tight. Perfect!