INCEPTION (spoilers)

phen3N

Folks were expecting a lot more of a mindfuck with this film than it ended up being.

exactly dude. for a film that deals with a topic where literally anything that happens can be justified (in a dream), it was boring as hell. the scenery couldn't change because the projections would realize it was a dream? when does anyone who is dreaming ever question reality? i really wanted to see some fucked mindbending shit.

i liked the idea of time stretching the deeper they went, and the idea of inception.. but i really felt like my hand was held throughout and never had any "wow" moments whatsoever.

the anti gravity fight scene wasnt a wow moment? slow motion explosions on the streets of paris? the entire world curving inward? i think youre expecting too much, if the movie had even more trippy visuals, it would revolve around that instead of the story

as for the handholding comment, i agree but i think you just gotta deal with it because after all, it is a summer blockbuster. gotta dumb it down a bit

the anti gravity fight scene wasnt a wow moment? slow motion explosions on the streets of paris? the entire world curving inward? i think youre expecting too much, if the movie had even more trippy visuals, it would revolve around that instead of the story

the anti gravity scene and world curving bit were in the trailer.. so no, i wasn't wowed. slow motion explosions however were real dope, that's what i was expecting more of.

nah not michael bay, explosions are the exact opposite of what i mean. i'm talking about a more imaginative plot accompanied by fucked up visuals.. it was a dream afterall. inception was decent, done very well for the "summer blockbuster" crowd, but it was very safe.

I agree with that. When Eames brought out the grenade launcher, i was thinking "why the eff don't they deck themselves out in swat gear and better guns, its a dream isn't it??"

I suppose they played it safe with the dreams so that you can keep questioning reality v dream? iono.

Snow scene instantly reminded me of Metal Gear Solid or Call of Duty.

i thought the plot was pretty good. of course you can get a little crazier with anything involving dreams, but if that were to happen i agree that it would take away from the plot.

if this wasn't such a blockbuster movie i think there would be more room to make this movie more surreal

nah not michael bay, explosions are the exact opposite of what i mean. i'm talking about a more imaginative plot accompanied by fucked up visuals.. it was a dream afterall. inception was decent, done very well for the "summer blockbuster" crowd, but it was very safe.
I agree with that. When Eames brought out the grenade launcher, i was thinking "why the eff don't they deck themselves out in swat gear and better guns, its a dream isn't it??"

I suppose they played it safe with the dreams so that you can keep questioning reality v dream? iono.

Snow scene instantly reminded me of Metal Gear Solid or Call of Duty.

you two are obviously missing the point, the integrity of movie is based on the fact that the dreams could be received as reality. the slightest miscues proved to be factors that would cause the dreamer to question the reality of the situation he/she was in, so why would it now be more appropriate or make more sense for them to be callin in the call of duty kill streaks?

p.s. totally unrelated, this movie screams sequel(s)

you two are obviously missing the point, the integrity of movie is based on the fact that the dreams could be received as reality. the slightest miscues proved to be factors that would cause the dreamer to question the reality of the situation he/she was in, so why would it now be more appropriate or make more sense for them to be callin in the call of duty kill streaks?

p.s. totally unrelated, this movie screams sequel(s)

Well the dreamer was able to put up a defense system and have call of duty type soldiers in there to save him. I'm just saying they could have came more prepared.

btw i thought i said they played it safe so that you can keep questioning reality v dream. So maybe I didn't obviously miss the point.

yes to sequel. ellen page is cute.

most defiantly. probably explore more into cobalt (sp?)

in case any of you supernerds missed it, the prequel comic book here: http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/inception-comic.html

the slightest miscues proved to be factors that would cause the dreamer to question the reality of the situation he/she was in

right, as per what was said in the movie, but this is totally uncharacteristic of ACTUAL dreaming. never once do you question reality. you always follow your subconscious thoughts regardless of what happens. "building a go-kart with your ex-landlord" type shit.

du was "trained in seeking out extractors." he would know if shit was out of place since he's tried to protect himself from this

also, it's a fucking movie. when's the last time you saw a major movie that had situations that are completely viable in real life?

i got confused by what limbo actually was. was it the level they entered after the 3rd snowy metal gear solid level, or was it the last one where cobbs on the beach? or are they both limbo?

They were both limbo. Assuming you mean the world Cobb and Mal created and the world where Saito is a old man.

Also, as for the part of major movies not having realistic situations... it probably would've turned out better if they stuck to the real definition of what a dream is. I think the article YMFY linked said it best.

But, as detailed as his dreamscapes are here, Nolan is more enamored of vehicles, architecture, tailored suits, $100 haircuts, marbled surfaces and automatic weapons than he is with the stuff dreams are really made of. As critic Jordan Hoffman elegantly points out,“…no boobs? We’re inside six guys’s subconscious for a long period of time and no one, ever, gets naked?â€

So when Ariadne (Ellen Page), the architect hired to assist Cobb, starts nosing around in his dreams, she’s clearly unnerved at what she might come across. No need. Cobb’s memories of his lost love and shattered family are the kind of stock images you find in a brand new wallet: pretty wife strolling a sunny beach; adorable kids frolicking in a backyard, hair backlit with a Miller Time glow. Even the “traumatic†stuff is familiar from daytime soap opera cliffhangers. If you want some idea of how timid and businesslike Inception is in its human concerns (while very bold as a feat of engineering), see a film I suspect was on Nolan’s list of homages here, Satoshi Kon’s Paprika.

That anime also involves a dream machine project run amok. But Kon, a true sensualist and surrealist, isn’t afraid to imagine that people’s minds contain something more than just chaste, greeting-card love, movie violence and conceptual chatter. Paprika is bursting at the seams with Japan’s barely repressed pathologies, in the form of an insecure scientist who runs his hand under the elastic skin of the woman he can never seduce, then pops her like a balloon; or a parade of salarymen whose heads morph into cameras to take upskirt pictures of high school girls; or a giant naked toddler who feasts on a towering, soot-black demon—the avatar of a tyrannical patriarch character—until she grows into a bodacious giantess the size of Godzilla.

In Paprika, Kon confronts his tormented society with visual poetry, not just a remix of tropes and set pieces. He goes deep, where Inception just talks of depth and darkness but, as a screen experience, sticks with glib pyrotechnics fit for a Superbowl commercial or an Usher concert. Like I said, film of the decade.

And I think people are analyzing this movie too deeply. It's not even deeply thought provoking movie, the concept was pretty interesting, but the execution was so bland and boring that it's undeserving of all the credit and praise people give it. I think I wanted to like it much more than I actually liked it. Don't get me wrong, it was a good movie.. just not great.

The limbo space in unconstructed dream space...the other dream levels were constructed by the architect. Once anyone went past the 3 levels that Ariadne made they will have entered 'limbo'. The dreamer constructs their own limbo space. Since the dream is being shared by all they are witness to the dreamspace Cobb had already created in limbo.

There were many parallels in the plot lines of Cobb and Fischer that lead me to want to believe it could all have been a dream (with the exception of the airplane scene being a reality) and the inception was done on Cobb (by his subconscious).

According to the film, we know we are dreaming because we don't know how we got there. This is how the audience enters the movie (or any movie), we just jump in in the middle of the story somewhere. Also according to the movie, people in dreams are just projections of the subconscious. If this is so, again, the entire movie may have been a dream in which Cobb just fell asleep on the plane and had a dream with the people around him. The 'totem' in this case may have just been something that was in his pocket, which is why he doesn't pay much attention to it in the end.

I liked the info on this link: http://www.cinemablend.com/new/What-If-Inception-Were-Analyzed-By-Dream-Experts-19638.html discussing Jungian archetypes