G20 Thread

Doing this on such a small scale is not going to do anything productive, so it's pretty worthless. It has to be large and actually make "the man" (or whoever these people think they are battling) nervous or uncomfortable at least. It's retarded, especially thrashing shit because of reasons that don't really warrant it.

I guess, but I just saw them clearing the street, which is kind of their job. I'm not going to ignorantly say that there wasn't police brutality but I will say that in a lot of ways it's a reaction to the bullshit that went on yesterday. It's awful and unfortunate that a bunch of masked pussies had to provoke everyone and its just as awful that some officers took the influence of a few imbeciles and reacted onto everyone.

Most of the police were restrained, at least initially, just as most of the protesters were peaceful. But just as the media is highlighting the few bad apples on the protesting side, people are now starting to overreact from the opposite perspective. Speaking as someone who knows an officer that was attacked on her way to work, I can say that the table swings both ways.

Regardless, at least we can all agree that this enter fiasco was a joke and waste of money. The cost of the last G20 summit was somewhere in the $18M range. Ours was about a billion.

And dude, I'm not sure protesting the police so soon is the greatest idea right now.

http://www.amnesty.ca/resource_centre/news/view.php?load=arcview&article=5453&c=Resource+Centre+News

I think its best to voice your opinion in a way that's not going to piss the cops off any more than they already are.

agents provacateurs have been used in canadian and internation protest forever. get people riled up so you have an excuse to take them off the street. if you weren't around yesterday, then you didn't see what i and thousands of other people saw. i saw an older man shot with rubber bullets at 7-730 pm and the chief of police didn't acknowledge use of them until much later in the evening. plainclothes officers were clearly dispersed through crowds and numerous videos are online to evidence this. it was fucking shady no matter which way you look at it.

ok but that's the whole thing. you saw the media portrayal of what happened. of the 600+ arrests made over the course of this weekend, the 50+ that i personally witnessed were all in the so called "designated protest area" or were other similar non-violent demonstrators who looked at one of the thousands of angry, on edge police officers the wrong way. i'm not a political person, but what i saw this weekend was undeniably strange and upsetting, and the canadian media has twisted it into "toronto is burning!" when all that really happened was a few smashed windows and some cop cars (cars that had been entirely stripped of consoles, weapons, ammunition, etc... ok) that were torched in an orderly, calm fashion.

call me a hippie or whatever, but the things i saw yesterday really troubled me, and until you've been in a legitimate police state where you can be hauled off the street into an unmarked vehicle and detained indefinitely for wearing the wrong colour clothing i don't think it's fair for you to take a stance like that

No one is condoning what the vandals did, but I think it's important to point out that mass protests always have warts (Look at the past G20 summits for the most obvious analogues) and attract people simply looking for an excuse to misbehave. That's because they are a decentralized, emotional response. The onus is on the police to react within the boundaries of morality and what is unfortunately often the more ethereal concept, legality.

The complete lack of preparation seen on saturday resulted in the sweeping of the protest zone which dispersed the crowds and forced them into unorganized rabble rather than the peaceful march that they were earlier in the day, not to mention made it all but impossible for police to suss out the criminal element. The patrol cars that were burned were either unaccompanied by crowd control (Queen) or actually left by their officers who were dispatched on foot elsewhere (King & Bay) The embarrassment and panic led to the violence on Queen W. at sundown, the muzzle blasts at Pape & Eastern the next morning (both of which I had the bad luck to see first hand) and the inexcusable and inexplicable public detention last night. Blaming the "anarchists" is an easy road because these people are never going to materialize to be made culpable. The actions of the security forces warrant an inquiry and people's attention is being divided by the sensationalism of broken glass.

I had sort of pledged not to get into this thread at length but this is the most important thing to happen to Toronto in the new Millennium, so maybe it's okay to get excited.

you know when something is going wrong when sufu, of all places, starts paying attention...here's my propoganda...enjoy

"Many of the arrests occurred on Sunday when police raided a University of Toronto building housing protesters. Amnesty International has called for an independent probe into the police crackdown. In a statement, the human rights organization said, "important rights associated with peaceful protest have suffered considerably in the city over the weekend." The protests were largely peaceful, though several police cars were set on fire and store windows were smashed."

http://www.democracynow.org/2010/6/28/headlines#1

superfuture has its own opinions about religion and politics but it doesnt post them on supertalk cos its not relevant to the purpose of this website - which incidently, happens to be superficial fluff like shopping and travel.

should be the same for everyone else.

blahblah.jpg