G20 Thread

All the burning car photos make it seem a lot more exciting then it is. There a lot of people on megaphones calling for "love warriors" and Montreal has kind let us borrow all their crusty punks for the weekend.

Long live the anarchist black coc.

I think the G20 is good, because I went to Lee's Palace last night for a friend's show and there was close to no traffic. I also watched a reporter nearly get smoked in the head by a brick, and one that got punched in the face! I also worked from home Thursday and Friday because of the G20, and all I did was smoke and play God of War.

http://www.blogto.com/city/2010/06/g20_riots/

http://www.blogto.com/city/2010/06/g20_protest_videos_capture_chaos_on_toronto_streets/

pics and vids of some of the banana's shit. i'm going downtown tomorrow to get pics of the aftermath, and maybe the second round.

i like the 1 vid with the undercover cops. the white dude rocking a che patch on his bag haha.

I saw two of my best friends be arrested on cp24 tonight, a few hours after we parted ways. I also saw people shot with rubber bullets and tear gas, trampled by horses, beaten and dragged on their faces. This has been one of the most uncomfortable days of my life

Anyone wearing a mask tomorrow should be shot on sight. Sick of these poser anarchist douchebags trashing the city. I saw some twerp in a System of a Down shirt with a mask trashing a bank on TV today. Real fucking cool, he is. Or this dickwad. Nice glasses, dipshit.

6a00d8341bf8f353ef0133f1dff9bc970b-900wi

I love pictures like this

6a00d8341bf8f353ef0133f1dffa28970b-900wi

6a00d8341bf8f353ef0133f1dffc45970b-900wi

I was so pissed when I found out the rioters were causing so much destruction that half the subway had to be closed and the streetcars weren't going to where I needed to be downtown. I ended up getting a drive, and all the roads on the way were completely empty.

I had a friend who worked on the street where these people were walking and smashing every store window along the way. He showed me pictures he took of the damage and it was horrible. As I was leaving a bar out east on Queen St, more police cars were gathering and I was told that more rioters were causing problems again. At 2:45am. I really can't wait until it's over.

it's like, really not all that horrible

the vandalism is over exaggerated in terms of how bad it really is

a couple (planted?) cop cars got burned, a few windows got smashed, but it's not anything that can't be quickly fixed, at least from what i see

i'm not condoning any of it and i think anyone involved is completely retarded, but it also did not justify the police response that i witnessed this evening

my friends were both arrested and beaten, one of them was covered in blood, and now both their phones are off and no one knows what's going on. it's kind of surreal

I have a few friends who work at various places along queen west that had to be evacuated. Who covers all the damage that's taken place?

It's surreal to see pictures like this, I've seen countless riot shots over the years, but seeing them in areas I've been on a regular basis makes me real uncomfortable. I'm glad I stayed out of town this week.

I'm not sure they do, either.

Most of the protesters, the peaceful ones, are angry because of how much it costs to protect and host the G20. Others are protesting specific issues. One large group was against something to do with the Ethiopian leader, for example. But a large number of factions were little more than a bunch of idiots protesting random causes because it was a convenient time to do so. The Animal Liberation Front was there for some reason (presumably so they could 'get away' with trashing a Swiss Chalet while yelling "Meat is Murder"). There was a group of women protesting for the right to abort (uh, pretty sure that's already legal) while carrying a giant coat hanger (so quirky!).

Mostly it's anger over the fact that this is what our government is spending money on. Worse, that they had to have it downtown. As suggested by the Mayor and more or less anyone else with any sense, the Exhibition Grounds were the logical place to have the summit (if at all), since it's already self contained and essentially on the lake, creating a natural southern border unto itself. The cost of this thing is in the billions if I'm not mistaken and that money could have gone to education or healthcare. That is what the majority of the peaceful, sensible protesters were angry about. Thus I'm not sure most protesters have a goal so much as an argument. Those with goals seem to be the ones employing the black bloc; their goals are to create chaos, claiming to be against government institution while using that to justify their ironically unified destruction of city stores and streets. Their goals are to try and draw law enforcement away from the barriers if not to just destroy shit. No, actually. More often than not they just want to destroy shit and up the punx. Can't forget to up the punx.