tokyo tokyo

jellybutton

Marui Marui / Marui City / Parco / 109 - Shibuya

LaForet - Harajuku

Sunshine City / Parco - Ikebukuro

These places have many price ranges but tend to focus on lower priced bracket apparel / accessories for women.

how is the pricing really overall?

from what i've been told it's crazy high, above london. but if you were to put a

percentage of approx how much over it is, what would it be?

and is there i difference in various cities, okinawa for example?

thinking about comme, watanabe, yohji, etc.

knife chase..

Edited by iohan on Mar 10, 2006 at 08:37 AM

My friend has a magazine that has cheaper stores in Japan, but she said the quality isn't that good [obviously, I guess.. =\] I'm just trying to find reasonably priced ones.. I don't want to end up just buying one thing there!

Anyway, yeah Japan is expensive.. maybe 10%? (more or less) than London.

And I'm pretty sure it varies in the cities too.

Tokyo, for example, would probably be higher than Okinawa.

But the stuff you listed.. I think the pricing would be around the same regardless where you go..

Price wise, you are looking at a 10-20% markup on International luxury goods and for domestic brands it varies with the brand image/quality etc. Overall prices are fairly consistent whereever you go in Japan. Size wise: For men, approach a M here as a small in the US/Europe and work from there. Women wise, its an entire new ballgame. Just remember that the majority of Japanese women are crazy skinny.....

like djrajio said, for womens, if you're tall or a bit "busty" finding clothes that fit here will be very hard to near impossible depending on the person. as for being relatively cheap, well it depends what you mean by that. if you look a bit on this forum, you will find that quite a lot of ppl come to Tokyo with their only intentions being to shop. many japanese brands are not sold outside japan or if they are, they carry a huge premium and the availability is limited. department stores are usually a good find. otherwise, i suggest you go take a walk around the daikanyama/naka-meguro area. they have really nice boutiques. most boutiques are not on the cheap side, but you'll find so much stuff that you wouldn't find elsewhere.

as for sizing, for men's wear, it has changed a lot in the past few year. when i first came here 5 years ago, i freak out about sneakers availability but it was insanely hard to find my size (i'm only a 10.5). and now, i almost never have this problem. same goes for clothes, many japanese brand still only make clothes up to size L (an american medium, it's really frustrating sometimes, i wanted to buy a really wool jacket last week but it was way to small and the largest size they made was L) but it's usually not a problem anymore (i'm 5'11 to give you an idea).

Quote:

Price wise, you are looking at a 10-20% markup on International luxury goods and for domestic brands it varies with the brand image/quality etc. Overall prices are fairly consistent whereever you go in Japan. Size wise: For men, approach a M here as a small in the US/Europe and work from there. Women wise, its an entire new ballgame. Just remember that the majority of Japanese women are crazy skinny.....

--- Original message by djrajio on Mar 11, 2006 12:13 AM

i totally had that problem. when i went, i didn't find much of anything (being a girl and 5'7") but my friend who's about 5'4 found a whole mess of junk she liked. i found a lot of cute stuff at shibuya 109 but came out empty handed.. ALSO, thank god you're not going during the new years sale.. that's where i got screwed too. department stores were packed like no other. i think out of my trip i only came back with shoes and a hoodie.. and some bape junk. kinda bummed. i hope you don't have that problem!

• 2 weeks later...