4 replies to this topic

#1 Kane

Kane

superbored

• Pip
  • 295 posts
  • joined 12 august 05

Posted 09 March 2006 - 05:53 PM

Anyone have any suggestions or experiences they could share about Hot Springs and Traditional Inns in Japan, near Tokyo or Kyoto?

Planning to head there near to Golden Week, we'll probably hit them just after. Is this a good or bad idea?

#2 djrajio

djrajio

postwhore

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,349 posts
  • joined 03 april 05
  • talents:wearing ugly sweaters

Posted 10 March 2006 - 05:37 AM

Take Tobu-sen from Asakusa to Nikko. Edo-jidai temples with incredible onsens and scenary. Not terribly expensive either.

Also probably a perverse lack of self-confidence that causes me to overcompensate by exceling in other aspects of my life and boasting about sexual/monetary exploits (or lack thereof) on a fashion board viewed by thousands of anonymous users to make me feel better.

#3 presto718

presto718

bored

• Pip
  • 38 posts
  • joined 13 november 03

Posted 10 March 2006 - 03:22 PM

If you want to get your onsen on near Tokyo go to Hakone for sure

#4 Kasper

Kasper

superjunkie

• Pip
  • 1,838 posts
  • joined 09 january 06

Posted 13 March 2006 - 11:47 AM

on top of those 2 suggestions that are really good, i'd like to add Izu, also close from tokyo and really nice and next to the ocean...

as for kyoto, i'm only been there as a tourist so i don't know the area so much, but finding a traditionnal inn shouldn't be a problem at all.

as for timing, as i said before, as long as you don't go during golden week, you'll be fine.
Edited by Kasper on Mar 13, 2006 at 04:48 AM

#5 djrajio

djrajio

postwhore

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,349 posts
  • joined 03 april 05
  • talents:wearing ugly sweaters

Posted 13 March 2006 - 11:59 AM

Cosign on Izu. 4 hour (regular) train ride. Did a one night. Total was approximately 300 per person. The best part of onsen ryokans is doing onsen then eating a feast and then doing onsen again and then eating again. It's paradise.

Also probably a perverse lack of self-confidence that causes me to overcompensate by exceling in other aspects of my life and boasting about sexual/monetary exploits (or lack thereof) on a fashion board viewed by thousands of anonymous users to make me feel better.