best clubs/bars in DC?

dutchxoven

Red

Unmarked black door on Thomas Jefferson, off of Connecticut and 18th, leads downstairs to this basement house party. friday and saturday are the nights to go to. music is deep house/tech house/tribal house. i personally consider it to be the best vibe in dc post '98 due to the mixed crowd. best time to go is around 1-130am. the place gets packed around 230-3am. cover is 10 for girls and 15 for guys.

Dragonfly

Sushi bar clad in all white. decor is minimal and neo-tokyo-ish. upstairs is a little more lively. music is ambient drum and bass/abstract downtempo/etc. no cover. D-fly is a great place to start the evening but gets pretty packed and crowd is a little too dressed to impress.

Five

This place is across the street from Dragonfly next to 18th street lounge and andelou (sp?). music varies but usually they bring in top DJs to spin i.e., Miguel Migs, Max Graham. Crowd has gotten progressively worse over the last few years but this place can be fun with the right crew and party favors.

Capital Ballroom/Nation/Buzz/Cubik

I think this place longer exists (left dc a few months ago) but I could be wrong. Home to Sasha, Paul van Dyk, Digweed, Craze, Optical, Scott Henry, John Tab, etc. when they were in town. Became a SuperClub in 1999/2000 reopening after a Fox 5 newsreport on illegal additives used and sold in the club. RIP. Oh it was in South East DC. 1015 Half Street SE i think. Cover varies according to DJ.

Chi Cha Lounge

Favorite place in DC and also in my old neighborhood on 16th St. and U. Lots of low lighting and sofas and couches. Hookahs at every table. Live music on the weekdays and dj on the weekends. Go on the weekdays! No Cover.

18th Street Lounge

Affiliated with the 18th Street Lounge label ala Thievery Corporation. you can find this place above a mattress store at 18th and Conn. Crowd is very Euro and attractive. Music is downtempo/jazz/abstract. Cover is 15-20$.

Gazuza

In Dupont Circle above Chipotle. Very modern and dark. Small wonder of a bar. Decent crowd. Basically a nice place to start but not somewhere to end the night. Hookahs are available. Same owner as Chi Cha Lounge. No cover but dress code enforced.

Tobaq

Fun place on the new U street corridor. Very modern and cool. Top floor is beautiful. No cover. dress code enforced. So far doesn't get too crowded. +++

InDeBleu

Never been here but have heard mixed reviews. Indian/French fusion food. Located in Chinatown. Dresscode enforced and usually has a line outside the door.

Mie N Yu

Asian fusion joint right on M street in G-town. Decent bar and overpriced gimmicky food. Crowd is all from across the river from VA. nice place to pick up interns and entry level girls. No cover and nice decor.

Leopolds

Located in Cady's Alley in G-town. nice cafe with bar and Austrian food. yum!

Bar Pilar

Bar on 14th Street next to Saint Ex. Great music selection (they were playing an old Lush album last time I was there). Good food. Nice crowd from the neighborhood. +++

Saint Ex

On 14th Street around Q or R I think. Brunch is excellent. Basement turns into a dance party during late nights. Fun crowd from the neighborhood. Antithesis of G-town crowd. Good beer selection. etc.

Red Room

Located on 14th St. inside the Black Cat. Lots of indie/punk crowd. Music is excellent. Pool table and beer. Overall a fun place. The anti Dragonfly/18th Street Lounge crowd.

I'm sure I left off some. Dream. Fur. VIP Club. Platnium. etc. Not really worth the mention IMHO.