13 replies to this topic

#1 smurf

smurf

semibored

• Pip
  • 95 posts
  • joined 09 july 04

Posted 16 July 2004 - 12:24 AM

I'm taking my first trip to Tokyo this September and am looking for hotel suggestions in the Shibuya area. I'm staying at the Claska the first 3 nights and like the idea of alternative/boutique lodging. Basically, I'm seeking out places with a cool vibe.

I'm thinking about the Excel Hotel Shibuya, but I'll consider any other centrally located hotels in the sub-$200 range. I'm kind of curious about the Shibuya Creston Hotel, so if anyone has experience there, I'd love to hear about it.

Anyway, thanks in advance!

:)

#2 Micka

Micka

bored

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • joined 30 june 04

Posted 07 August 2004 - 11:02 AM

i always stay at Shibuya Tobu Hotel great location walking distance to Harajuku
around 13,800 yen for single room

#3 marine_corpse

marine_corpse

semibored

• Pip
  • 116 posts
  • joined 01 march 04

Posted 07 August 2004 - 05:25 PM

i'm too poor to afford $100+/night hotels....I usually just stick with cheap business hotels that are on the main train lines but not too far from Shibuya/Harajuku/Shinjuku.
if they move, kill 'em.

#4 Tequila

Tequila

semibored

• Pip
  • 88 posts
  • joined 06 june 04

Posted 08 August 2004 - 06:38 PM

Hey does anyone know what was the name of the campaign for cheaper hotel prices that ran (at least) during this summer? I think at least Metropolis Tokyo had it mentioned, but I can't seem to find it...

#5 sugarboots

sugarboots

semibored

• Pip
  • 169 posts
  • joined 04 december 03

Posted 12 August 2004 - 10:49 PM

goin to tokyo in sept as well - sept 15 - oct 5 -
i usually stay at my sisters place nxt to yoyogi park
but one time i did stay at this really cheap hotel in jimbocho - it wasn't bad at all - about $80 a night for two people . . .

http://www.sakura-hotel.co.jp/

#6 HuongStar

HuongStar

bored

• Pip
  • 11 posts
  • joined 06 january 04

Posted 01 September 2004 - 06:53 PM

How was it? My friend Ed recommended that place to me for "Tokyo on a Budget" but I was sort of put off by the location (seeing as how I have little to no Japanese language capability).

#7 sugarboots

sugarboots

semibored

• Pip
  • 169 posts
  • joined 04 december 03

Posted 01 September 2004 - 07:24 PM

hi - if you're talking about sakura hotel - it was clean and friendly - people spoke english there and it was near the major train stations. i liked it and it was cheap! the bathrooms on each floor are shared but i didn't mind that at all.

#8 pbhats

pbhats

bored

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • joined 25 september 04

Posted 25 September 2004 - 10:39 PM

I got a good deal at the Shinjuku Prince, from their website. Tiny rooms, but clean and very central.

#9 dre

dre

bored

• Pip
  • 9 posts
  • joined 05 october 04

Posted 05 October 2004 - 01:03 PM

I liked the Tokyu Stay Shibuya Shinminamiguchi
nice and spacious rooms, kitchenette and free internet for an affordable price. make sure you dont check in to the large tokyu stay around the corner cause i heard it was a bit run down...

#10 smurf

smurf

semibored

• Pip
  • 95 posts
  • joined 09 july 04

Posted 06 October 2004 - 10:36 PM

Well I'm home now, but thanks for your posts.

The Claska was great! I stayed there my first 3 and last 2 nights. As the SuperFuture review says, it isn't exactly located in the center of Tokyo, but I actually liked that. The nearest station is a 5 or 10 minute walk and from there, Shibuya is like a 6 or 7 minute ride.

I stayed in the Excel Shibuya too, which was fine if you like non-descript rooms over a giant mall, but the Claska was less expensive and much, much cooler. I stayed in two different rooms, both relatively small, but well appointed. The bathrooms were very cool! The staff was great - they greeted me by name when I first arrived. Sure, there are only 11 rooms, it was 8 at night and I was the only gaijin staying there, but it was still a nice touch.

The restaurant/bar Lobby had good food and decent drinks, if not a little expensive. There was a party in the hotel the Saturday that I stayed there, which was great fun. Anyway, I've stayed in a couple of other "boutique" hotels, including 60 Thompson in NY and the Claska was every bit as cool without at all being pretentious.

I will definitely stay there my next trip to Tokyo!

#11 poly800rock

poly800rock

postwhore

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,040 posts
  • joined 09 september 04

Posted 09 October 2004 - 06:48 AM

There are 2 places in Minowa that are geared towards backpackers, like 40 a night US. Do a search, aron something......sorry, i;ll try and find more info, i was there last year..kinda far out there though..
TEAM OZAWA (oi lui xwy qluy wh l krcviukevi, zeaeylxy kibuiy kwbeiyt. oi lui drky l hlsi qemml kfwq.) http://www.superfutu...ad.php?t=255186

#12 dre

dre

bored

• Pip
  • 9 posts
  • joined 05 october 04

Posted 11 October 2004 - 02:40 PM

hey smurf, i was at that claska party too!

#13 smurf

smurf

semibored

• Pip
  • 95 posts
  • joined 09 july 04

Posted 11 October 2004 - 09:06 PM

Hey Dre, I guess the world really is a small place! :)

I didn't even know what the party was for until I checked out the following day. It was the one year aniverary for a new bar is Shibuya, but I never got the name of the place. I wanted to check it out, since I was staying in Shibuya the following 2 nights, but details from Saturday night were a little fuzzy.

If you know the name of the bar, let me know.

#14 bkkchris

bkkchris

bored

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • joined 25 november 04

Posted 25 November 2004 - 11:15 AM

I stay at the Miyako Tokyo Hotel every few months... pretty nice if you get the new rooms, but pricy. I actually really love the location... lots of cool thrift stores farther up in Meguro, along with the Claska which is also great but hard to get a room in...