7 replies to this topic

#1 guiltybyassociation

guiltybyassociation

semibored

• Pip
  • 86 posts
  • joined 05 june 05

Posted 05 June 2005 - 06:43 PM

goin to be there the week of july 4th. i'm into early 90's hip hop, funk/breaks, and house. can anyone recommend any spots to check out?

oh and can anyone recommend any spots to shop at and eat at?

#2 dsq

dsq

bored

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • joined 05 june 05

Posted 05 June 2005 - 11:43 PM

uncle otis, they just renovated and expanded recently.
http://www.uncleotis.com
http://superfuture.c...id=1567&lang=EN

also, queens street west is a must go for shopping.

#3 showbiz00ditc

showbiz00ditc

superjunkie2K

• PipPip
  • 2,561 posts
  • joined 03 march 05

Posted 05 June 2005 - 11:51 PM

for some food... Cafe Crepe on Queen West... across from Much Music
also theres a little market type thing down the road a bit from Cafe Crepe by the ben & jerrys theres a door n it brings you into a hall with food down both sides... check out the Steak and Cheese spot for a good lunch.. and also at the very last spot on the right... Shwarma's are good.
It's Worn || Girls in Supreme || @extrAndrew

#4 kidplastik

kidplastik

bored

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • joined 12 may 05

Posted 15 June 2005 - 05:49 PM

Yes yes, Queen Street has the greatest shops ever. They are expensive, but very cool. The Annex (http://wikitravel.or...ronto/The_Annex) is a cool area of town, old architechture and artsy. Kensington Market is a nice, they have a lot of vintage type shops, if you are lucky and look hard you can find some great stuff there. You will have fun, Toronto is a great city, I love it!

#5 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • joined --

Posted 16 June 2005 - 08:54 PM

Good Hip-hop parties:
Check out http://www.nowtoronto.com/ the week you are in for parties.

Shopping: Queen West means West of Spadina...West of Yonge used to be good, but now it's a little commercial. Some good shops left.
Also check Goodfoot -- only place in TO to get Dunks, on Richmond St. (block south of Queen) just west of Spadina.

Food: Sandwich box in St. Pat's market across from Much Music for a $5 gourmet sandwich.
Korean Grill house "All you can meat" is definitley worth it...also on Queen (at Duncan, again near Much).

Guilty, if you are from NYC do me a favour and reply and let me know the same about NYC. I've been there a few times, but there's always more to know.

#6 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • joined --

Posted 16 June 2005 - 10:29 PM

Check the SF guides for shops.

Areas to frequent: Queen West West, Kensington, Yorkville, Distillery District, Chinatown, Indian Bazzar, Roncessvalles Village, Little Italy, Danforth (Greektown).

Nightlife: Pick up the NOW magazine or Eye Weekly for current event listing. They release on Thursday's. There are too many parties to list.
www.garagehousemusic.com for event listing and message board

Eating:

Chinese - Swatow, Xam Yu in Chinatown, most in chinatown are decent.
French - Le Select, Jules, La Palette, the latter being my favourite.
Italian - go to little italy. Sotto Voce, Gratto Nero and Coco Lezzone are all good.
Portugese - Barriada (in little Italy west of Ossington). Cheap and huge portions.
Japanese - Hiro ($$$), Blowfish (fusion $$), Tempo (fusion). Most places are decent.
Indian - Lahore Tikka House, Bombay Bhel, Mt. Everest.
$$$$- Susur, Lee, George, Bymark, Lobby, Ultra
Bars - too many but Sneaky Dees is a landmark, Supermarket and the Embassy in Kensington are cool. The Beaconsfield is alright and good grub but you need reservations.
cheap, good and quick - Vienna Bakery, Portobello Market, Butlers Pantry, One of a kind pasta, 2 chinese places above.

There is a lot more to list but that all I can think of.
Hope this helps.

#7 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • joined --

Posted 16 June 2005 - 10:29 PM

Areas to frequent: Queen West West, Kensington, Yorkville, Distillery District, Chinatown, Indian Bazzar, Roncessvalles Village, Little Italy, Danforth (Greektown).

Nightlife: Pick up the NOW magazine or Eye Weekly for current event listing. They release on Thursday's. There are too many parties to list.
www.garagehousemusic.com for event listing and message board

Eating:

Italian - go to little italy. Sotto Voce, Gratto Nero and Coco Lezzone are all good.
Portugese - Barriada (in little Italy west of Ossington). Cheap and huge portions.
Japanese - Hiro ($$$), Blowfish (fusion $$), Tempo (fusion). Most places are decent.
Bars - too many but Sneaky Dees is a landmark, Supermarket and the Embassy in Kensington are cool. The Beaconsfield is alright and good grub but you need reservations.
cheap, good and quick - Vienna Bakery, Portobello Market, Butlers Pantry, One of a kind pasta, 2 chinese places above.

There is a lot more to list but that all I can think of.
Hope this helps.

#8 aDj

aDj

semibored

• Pip
  • 165 posts
  • joined 21 september 04

Posted 16 June 2005 - 10:30 PM

www.garagehousemusic.com for event listing and message board related to house music.

Eating:

There is a lot more to list but that all I can think of right now.
Hope this helps.
Edited by aDj on Jun 16, 2005 at 03:34 PM