designer sneakers

shinobi2000

Can anyone attest to the functional quality of designer sneakers? For the longest time now I've only bought sneakers from athletic gear companies (Nike, Reebok etc). Quite frankly, I've alway thought it was a little ridiculous to buy such a functional item like sneakers from the likes of Louis Vuiton, Gucci etc. But I've recently caved in and decided I'm going to keep separate, pairs of "functional" sneakers (for working out, heavy walking etc), and "fashion" sneakers (for completing an outfit, just for the look etc). That said, I don't want my "fashion" sneakers to fall apart after the second wear. I have my eyes set on a white pair from Dior with a black and pink stripe on the side. If I got them I obviously wouldnt' take them to the gym but I do walk a lot (this is nyc and I don't drive). Do they last? They're over $400!

the only designer "sneakers" i've worn are black leather prada sports with the single velcro fastening piece/strap/thing (more like cycling shoes than sneakers now that i think about it). the soles, by vibram i think, made the shoes pretty heavy compared to my usual nikes but they def. held up pretty well...didn't wear down too much even after 2-3 years of abuse.

one thing tho, i had to break them in unlike other athletic sneakers...and i remember hurting my feet for the first couple days. this was 6 years ago so i'm guessing the designer sneakers that come out these days are better in terms of comfort/construction. hope this helps.

Quote:

I wear a pair of black leather dior hightops every couple of weeks, I've done this for the past 8 months or so so probably 10-12 wearings and they've held up fine and I do plenty of walking too.

--- Original message by ten100switch on Mar 27, 2006 10:50 AM

I definitely wouldn't consider 10-12 wearings, even if you walked the entire day on rough concrete, do be an adequate measure of a shoe "holding up".

If they fall apart after that, you got yourself some lemons...

nairb49

Guest Fade to Black

The only pair of "designer" sneakers I have is from Y-3, the Spring/Summer 2003 collection bought in Paris back then...they're the most well made/designed sneakers I own, have held up very well after 3 years of wear. Unfortunately nothing I've seen from Y-3 or Yohji/Adidas since has matched these in terms of functionality or style.

The Mihara Puma's and the 96 Hour collection from puma are both fashionable and functionable. I wear my MY-16s alot,

342747_01.fpx&obj=iip,1.0&wid=225&qlt=100&cvt=JPEG

They are extremely comfortable and easy to wear, even comparable to some of my "higher-end" shoes, I would still rather buy another pair of Mihara's over anything else.

http://www.baskew.com