hige

i searched this forum but got nothing. looked in dictionary. nothing. the internet yields mostly manga.

what is the etymology of the word hige? how is it pronounced? how did it get into usage? any precise definitions?

it doesn't help that all my conversations about denim have been virtual.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

shhh....

If it's pronounced "heegay" then the word smacks of Japanese origin as that is how you would pronounce it in japanese. This would make sense given the jeans culture there.

I just did a search on the Japanese word "hige" (ひげ) to find the meaning and it came up with:

髭 or 鬚 (I guess there's two kanji for it?) (n) moustache / beard / whiskers.

So there you go, it means whiskers in Japanese.

Interestingly (and perhaps completely unrelated) is that it also means "self-abasement / humility / self-depreciation" (卑下).

Thanks for asking the question! I was unsure of the origin/pronunciation too. Given the "heegay" information, it was relatively easy to piece the puzzle together.

i just KNEW it had to be japanese in origin. HEE-gay, like yr outing some dude? nice. the "whiskers" bit jives, too. the self-depracation angle, though... hmm...

thanks, folks. not sure i will be using hige in conversation, but now i know, and knowing is... half... the...

shhh....

"pronunciation is more like he-ge (ge like gecko) theres no "ay" sound in the japanese language"

You're correct here. When English speakers learn Japanese, they traditionally treat anything with an "e" in romaji as an "Ay" sound (like saying the letter "A"). So when saying a word like "sake" they pronounce it like "sock-AY" which is a bit more correct than saying "sock-E.' Still, the "e" sound is more correctly a toned down version that sounds more like "eh" as in the name Edward.

This post has nothing to do with denim sorry

• 1 year later...