Forget Supreme, this is what you need....

Surplus stuff is almost always better quality than anything that is copied and rebranded, especially if it is made for the United States military. All government contracts are very specific about details because of the need for uniformity (it's the military remember). I have a "ammo bag" that I drug through the deserts of Iraq, Kuwait and the jungles of Panama and all the snaps, zippers, attachment points are still in serviceable condition after (since 1989) years of terrible abuse. Additionally, it has more cred in my opinion because it is original and not a hyped item. I guess there are exceptions as there always seem to be.

I will second this gentleman's statement. Most repro fashion gear does not come close to issue military gear in terms of durability. Issue mil gear is made to milspec, in other words it is meant to last through extreme abuse/use that is simply not required from your typical fashion item. Gov't issued items which have been Natick certified will almost definitely stand up better over time than many similar repro items.

Edited by Circa on Mar 21, 2006 at 02:14 PM

i've wanted to weigh in on supreme backpacks for a little bit now, so i'll go ahead and drop my 2 cents

i recently realized i needed a backpack. i shopped around for a bit, and decided that the recent scatterweave backpack had the sort of styling i enjoyed. i live somewhere wet, so it needed to be waterproof, i'd regularly be carrying around tons of stuff so i needed padded compression straps.

i did some research, and yes, i found several "special ops" backpacks that very closely matched the supreme backpack in styling and quality. however, comparable bags, even from army surplus outfitters, were running me $100-120 dollars. a good north face pack will set you back a bill, too. a technical backpack from a camping store, maybe even morei figure a 1.5x price hike isn't actually too bad, considering. besides, i'd be giving my business to somebody i respect and want to keep around (the local streetwear shop, not supreme)

on the other hand, some of the nonsense people are spouting upthread (ykk zippers? since when did YKK become some sort of mark of quality? half the backpacks in target have ykk zippers!) is just beyond the pale. yes, a waterproof moleskine m65 would be cool, but i can't handle a 6x or 8x price hike! just get an $80 surplus m65 and spray it with waterproofer!

Quote:

If people want to spend lots of money on a brand, let 'em. Ive never seen Supreme products first hand, but from just looking at photos a majority doesnt seem that great. Supreme grip tape? Supreme plastic baseball bat?

--- Original message by greentalks43 on Mar 22, 2006 06:27 AM

the bats wood I think. grip tape to go on the top of your skateboard.

US MilSpec is the best in the world on the battlefield but its not the same stuff supreme puts out. If I could afford it I`d take a US mil SPEAR long range recon pack produced by Gregory over any supreme bag:

backpack_l.jpg

Be Advised: Morgan Nixon AKA Moman631 AKA Moman6040 is a fraud.

^^

If all you want is an indestructible bag there are a number of companies that are contracted by the US military that make numerous packs in various configurations which are just as good as the Gregory packs if not better. LBT, Eagle, Blackhawk, TT, Specialty plastics, Lightfighter, SO tech, etc. all make packs in 1000d cordura with heavily reinforced stitching/webbing. Most are also BALCS/SPEAR/MOLLE/ALICE compatible. You will pay an arm and a leg for them but they will last a lifetime.

Edited by Circa on Mar 22, 2006 at 04:08 PM