Sign in to follow this  
ChiTownHustla

[Music] Tokyo's hip-hop scene

Hi all,

I'll be traveling to Japan for the first time next month, and was really interested in checking out the underground hip-hop scene in Tokyo.

I'm from Chicago, and love good/smart/soulful hip-hop music (i.e J. Rawls, Lupe Fiasco, DJ Cam Quartet, Dilla, etc.). Now I'm not necessarily expecting to hear this same type of music in Tokyo, but moreso interested in hearing local takes on real hip-hop music.

Any websites/blogs that have a good listing of upcoming shows, etc? I'd love to check out as many local acts as possible, but it'd also be pretty sick seeing my Chi City brother Kanye perform :)

Thoughts/suggestions/advice?

Thanks!

iflyer

vuenos always has jrap events. A+ on 3rd thursday of every month.

Now I'm not necessarily expecting to hear this same type of music in Tokyo, but moreso interested in hearing local takes on real hip-hop music.!

what makes you think that? if you listen to that kinda music i'm sure you've heard of Jazzy Sport and the likes..?

herpsky, know any more joints?

^that's exactly the thing i'm looking for (release parties, small venues/local cats).

if i hear any 50 cent, i'm bouncin'

i'll be in tokyo from march 11-20. keep the suggestions coming...i've got 11 nights to fill :)

i know i can go to a kanye/lupe/commom/etc concert here in the US (especially in chicago), but if they were somehow performing while i was in tokyo, i'd definitely be down to jam out with some japanese kids.

i don't know shit about spots in tokyo, but i can say i really like the stuff i've heard by shing02. really great crossing of styles, as far as the beats go.

i don't know shit about spots in tokyo, but i can say i really like the stuff i've heard by shing02. really great crossing of styles, as far as the beats go.

^ i'll admit, i've never heard of dude [shing02], listening to him now..definitely dope.