Edwin Denim

MyMindSpray

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Ditto Tomoams & Superposition....The 503 line has beautiful denim. Double ring, rope dyed warp, sanforized...nice. The 503 line was introduced in 1997, dunno when the RV prefix was introduced. (RV=Rebel Vintage, RVS=Rebel Vintage Special - the RVS line tends to have more distressed 'hole-ly' washes).

Oh, and Edwin is DENIM with the first two letters swapped round.

Quote:

yes your right about the edwin is denim thing...hey ringring what is saddle stitch denim? stitching in a shape of a saddle? lol...

--- Original message by futuretalk on Dec 29, 2004 06:17 AM

It's probably just a fancy way of saying contrast stitching or decorative stitching, like the back pocket 'V' on a pair of Levis. Does that make sense within your context?

There is a store on West Broadway between Spring and Prince on the east side of the street that sells Edwin. They have many up to date Japanese models including Rebel Vintage and Sen. I was there today but I cannot remember the name of the store. There prices ranged from 140 - 220. Not cheap, but if you want Edwin, they had a great selection. I'll try to check out the name of the store tomorrow. Good luck searching!

this is so bizarre to read... edwin is a totally generic, GAP-esque brand out here in japan & the rest of asia.

i'm not saying the product is horrible or anything, but certainly doesn't justify the prices mentioned above. just because it's "japanese denim" doesn't mean it's any good, people...

:)

Quote:

this is so bizarre to read... edwin is a totally generic, GAP-esque brand out here in japan & the rest of asia.

i'm not saying the product is horrible or anything, but certainly doesn't justify the prices mentioned above. just because it's "japanese denim" doesn't mean it's any good, people...

:)

--- Original message by joen on Jan 5, 2005 09:53 PM

I agree with the GAP-esque tag. Edwin make a whole gamut of cottons, including some pretty 'normal' chinos etc.

I've always believed that GAP use some wonderful denims. I agree wholeheartedly that just because it's 'Japanese Denim' does not necessarily mean it's any good. But Edwin do use some lovely cloth, particularly on their RV range.

I guess for many people, brand value is often more important than the actual quality of the fabric and make. Which is okay. Paying more for rarity is OK, and I guess Edwin is more of a rare item outside Asia.

the prices may be too high, but compared to some of the naughty designer jeans that are sold for couple hundred dollars, I'll definitely go for the Edwins.

joen, have you seen the RVs? they're pretty nice... thought that maybe you've only seen the old calssic lines. those classic-lines ARE Gap-esqueicon_smile_shy.gif

I feel like I'm working for Edwin now...

hey, does anyone know any new denim brand thats hot?

tomoams,

you must know by now that ringring is the resident denimologist- he has crazy knowledge!

and what ringring said was true about gap denim and brands. there are some that look simply at the label, some that like the details and some that like quality. as i mentioned in another thread with ringring labels like prps and rogan have really simple and amazing details, however apc, another quality denim brand have virtually no details which in my opinion makes it just as attractive- the quality speaks for itself.

the mind's eye glitters with thoughts and ideas for the masses/

i take classes/ to appease the classless/ perhaps its/

counter-revolutionary or counter intelligence/

to understand the situation or take command of the circumstance/

never mind what i say what's done is done/

and when i look down and grin and say it's been fun/

understand that #1 means no #2's i'm the best/

and i will choose to act out in front if you all to put you to the test/

Edwin always provided a consistently good product until the past 4-5 years. They've lost a lot of marketshare and started producing their jeans in China in addition to using Chinese denim. This mainly had what to do with the global downhill(although mainly US) of premium denim which started in the early-mid '90s(recession time too). Premium denim then came back with the trend surprisingly starting here in the US. Remember, during the downturn, premium denim was almost impossible to find, so think of the relief the consumer had when wearing these jeans again after so many years if it wasn't their first time. Now that premium denim is just as strong as it was in the 80s, brands such as Edwin are trying to regain their marketshare. The challenge for them is the "Made in USA" label although in my opinion, the quality of the "Made in USA" jeans has been decreasing. Primarily becuase the brands who now have established names are looking to increase their margins by producing lesser-quality garments with the same suggested retail AND they are even raising the retail costs(not quality), marketing the jeans as "PREMIUM PREMIUM JEANS" when in actuality they aren't. Loss of product integrity in the customers eyes never proves sucessful in the long-run.

Once a brand has a name that really gets established, it takes a lot of strength not to keep the quality on par with the suggested retail which maintains consistent margins. It's hard not wanting to fully capitilize on the brand name. Look at all the dept store brands from the early-mid 90s. Polo Jeans, Tommy H, CK Jeans, etc.. These jeans were consistently selling at apprx 69-89 and these companies were buying the jeans for $5 in Mexico, China, Vietnam, etc..

In actuality, becuase Edwin has more experince in keeping their costs on par with the quality of their jeans, and the quality of a lot of the "Made in USA" denim labels have been decreasing, I see Edwin increasing their marketshare again. There are still many factors to this which can take hours to write.. The Japanese are the trendsetters of the world.

ALSO, another reason why the "Made in USA" brands have been decreasing in quality is becuase the LA factories and laundy facilities have really been capitilizing on the "Made in USA" reputation by becoming more and more expensive which brings the "Made in USA" brands to the lower tier competitors of their original factories/laundries but these competitors can't do the same job..

Edwin always provided a consistently good product until the past 4-5 years. They've lost a lot of marketshare and started producing their jeans in China in addition to using Chinese denim. This mainly had what to do with the global downhill(although mainly US) of premium denim which started in the early-mid '90s(recession time too). Premium denim then came back with the trend surprisingly starting here in the US. Remember, during the downturn, premium denim was almost impossible to find, so think of the relief the consumer had when wearing these jeans again after so many years if it wasn't their first time. Now that premium denim is just as strong as it was in the 80s, brands such as Edwin are trying to regain their marketshare. The challenge for them is the "Made in USA" label although in my opinion, the quality of the "Made in USA" jeans has been decreasing. Primarily becuase the brands who now have established names are looking to increase their margins by producing lesser-quality garments with the same suggested retail AND they are even raising the retail costs(not quality), marketing the jeans as "PREMIUM PREMIUM JEANS" when in actuality they aren't. Loss of product integrity in the customers eyes never proves sucessful in the long-run.

Once a brand has a name that really gets established, it takes a lot of strength not to keep the quality on par with the suggested retail which maintains consistent margins. It's hard not wanting to fully capitilize on the brand name. Look at all the dept store brands from the early-mid 90s. Polo Jeans, Tommy H, CK Jeans, etc.. These jeans were consistently selling at apprx 69-89 and these companies were buying the jeans for $5 in Mexico, China, Vietnam, etc..

In actuality, becuase Edwin has more experince in keeping their costs on par with the quality of their jeans, and the quality of a lot of the "Made in USA" denim labels have been decreasing, I see Edwin increasing their marketshare again. There are still many factors to this which can take hours to write.. The Japanese are the trendsetters of the world.

ALSO, another reason why the "Made in USA" brands have been decreasing in quality is becuase the LA factories and laundy facilities have really been capitilizing on the "Made in USA" reputation by becoming more and more expensive which brings the "Made in USA" brands to the lower tier competitors of their original factories/laundries but these competitors can't do the same job..

Tomoams wrote: the prices may be too high, but compared to some of the naughty designer jeans that are sold for couple hundred dollars, I'll definitely go for the Edwins.

Wonderfully put. Some of the cheaper Edwins are great too. I always think the raw selvage 'Grenvilles' look a conspicuous bargain as a basic jean.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The American Slims in that link look terrible. It's impossible to see the fabric, but the wash alone should be avoided.

I think Edwin selvage (Greenville, Nashville), compares very well indeed to APC. The fit is different, and Edwins have the leather patch on the waistband and back pocket stitching.

edwin had a pair of rainbow selvage last season... wicked look, was a mix of orange (i think) and blue threads....

i was wondering if anyone knew where i can get these... or any other pair of

'rainbow selvage' like that...

tx

They have the Rainbows this season too. Orange, Green and Ecru selvedge if I'm not mistaken. Lovely jeans.

Not sure where you can get a pair. Selfridges in London had them. Studio D'Artisan also do multi-coloured selvedge, but they are probably even harder to get hold of.