Recommend me a button down shirt..

i have some shirts from brooks brothers that fit amazing. catch them on sale though as they tend to be around $85-120. they have classic pales, ginghams, and some solid colors.

i've been seeing a TON of polo custom fits at tj maxx lately, and those are cut slimmer w/o a chest pocket. selling at $25ish for a $100 shirt.

Quote:

Hmmmm...Thanks for the suggestion, but $565 for a shirt seems a bit much.

--- Original message by eastcoastrider27 on Mar 7, 2006 10:29 PM

haha. word.

H&M

Paul Smith

Banana Republic

Polo / Ralph Lauren

Modern Amusement

^good BD fits in my humble O

In my past life I was a biblical times savor, in this day and age I'm a political sign waver.

Quote:

Hmmmm...Thanks for the suggestion, but $565 for a shirt seems a bit much.

--- Original message by eastcoastrider27 on Mar 7, 2006 10:29 PM

hte point is you get a shitload of them, so you end up saving and getting amazing shirts. i should go to thailand one of these days.

chwa?

APC anyone? colors are a bit limited but the new shirts are in at the NYC store. I think it's black, white, red (could be another color).

and honestly, A/X is good for reasonably priced slim-ish shirts

BR is terrible if you are slim and not tall (I'm 5'8") -- the smalls practically swallow you

ALL THE BEST

Most of the shirts recommended in this thread aren't good quality

Polo RL custom fit shirts are decent when they're on sale

For a good value, Charles Thrywitt shirts are fine quality for their price. Size down for a better fit

Thomas Pink slim fit shirts are fine too, but are way more expensive.

If you want higher quality, look at Turnbull and Asser, Brioni, Kiton, etc.

Trust me, American Eagle and J Crew make some of the nicest button-down shirts out there. The fits slim but not tight, the colours are nice but not too busy, and the cotton is very nice. They are the right length to wear either in or out, and they work with a tie too. The quality is nothing to write home about, but I have two American Eagle shirts I bought 3 years ago that are still going strong today. Do not be put off by the fact that they are mainly worn by jocks. The jocks do not have access to an iron or a mirror. If I can make it work without looking like I've on my way out to the psi-beta-kapa kegger, so can you.

If you're looking for something a little more trendy, Modern Amusement do some nice ones with quite funky cuff-linings.

Edit: If you live in the UK, there's nowhere better than Marks and Spencer.

Edited by blindlemonjefferson on Mar 8, 2006 at 03:20 PM

Quote:

Trust me, American Eagle and J Crew make some of the nicest button-down shirts out there. The fits slim but not tight, the colours are nice but not too busy, and the cotton is very nice. They are the right length to wear either in or out, and they work with a tie too. The quality is nothing to write home about, but I have two American Eagle shirts I bought 3 years ago that are still going strong today. Do not be put off by the fact that they are mainly worn by jocks. The jocks do not have access to an iron or a mirror. If I can make it work without looking like I've on my way out to the psi-beta-kapa kegger, so can you.

If you're looking for something a little more trendy, Modern Amusement do some nice ones with quite funky cuff-linings.

--- Original message by blindlemonjefferson on Mar 8, 2006 03:19 PM

this is a joke. AE and JCrew shirts are crap quality.

Quote:
Quote:

--- Original message by blindlemonjefferson on Mar 8, 2006 03:19 PM

this is a joke. AE and JCrew shirts are crap quality.

--- Original message by cchen on Mar 8, 2006 03:35 PM

I've addressed that in my thread. They're not spun by hand by Tibetan monks, but they don't fall apart either. And they fit nicely.

but for a few more dollars you can get a much better quality CT shirt (around $50 for their low-end shirt)

Fit is ok, they have slim fit shirts as well as regular fit.

Probably would not be worn untucked - their dress shirts are regular length

Edited by cchen on Mar 8, 2006 at 03:54 PM

I fairly thin and ive always had trouble buying a button down shirt that doesnt make me look like im wearing a balloon. Ive bought some shirts from some of the brands mentioned above like AX, H&M, brooks brothers and J crew but i think most of those shirts are fairly cheap. If youre willing to spend the money (around $100) agnes b makes some really nice quality shirts, i found the finishing and quality of the fabric to be quite nice, the only downside of the shirts i have from them is that they dont have those little plastic inserts in the tips of the collar, so im not sure how well the collar will look in a year or two. Anyways, if youre slim, agnes b has the best button down shirts ive come across so far. Honestly though, it comes down to trying shit on if you can because the fit is everything when it comes to button downs

Seize Sur Vingt and Paul Smith keep me nice and fresh.

I've heard Agnes B is nice as well but I haven't been to try them on.

Charles Tyrwhitt is good for the price but in all honesty, they aren't very slim (even the fitted ones).

Once you delve into the $100+ price range, its very hard to go back. You really just have to wait till your favorite shirt maker has a sale. Then you buy like 5-10 shirts and you're good for a while.

A tailor can also solve many fit related problems.