Levi's Warhol

Shorty Long

Aww... what happened to the silver "Factory" model?

Let me guess... it was either too expensive to produce, or it's Japan and/or Europe only...

Thanks for posting! Had been looking forward to seeing these... but from the web site, doesn't look like a purchase. I will go check them out at the SF store though (if they have them.)

ask a cassowary

Here to eat crow and thank Shorty Long for the heads-up.

Saw the jeans, along with some tee shirts at the SF Levi's flagship store.

The cuffs are not sewn in place.

The slim cut jeans, which don't say Strummer or Skinner on them anywhere, are referred to as Strummer on the linked site above, and called Skinner by the store employees. They have a button fly, whereas on the web site it says zipper fly. Maybe it is a different model than the one on the web site but otherwise it looks pretty much the same.

They have a very slim cut, and they fit me much better than any Levis I've tried on in years. The wash is nice, IMO, fairly subtle. The denim is medium weight and soft. They are made in Hong Kong. The detailing is interesting, silver trademark patch, silver paint inside, designs printed on the inside (face, skull, graphic patterns.) They are overpriced ($260 US) but being the Warhol fan that I am, and given that I will overspend on denim, I bought a pair. My "usual" size fit perfectly.

The 501 model had a pattern of silver crosses screened over one hip on the rear, which I didn't like as much, a little too flashy for me.

ask a cassowary

Edited by tangerine on Mar 8, 2006 at 05:47 PM

Quote:

I have a book of Factory photos by Billy Name and Warhol often wore 501s (blue.)

--- Original message by tangerine on Mar 9, 2006 03:21 PM

So did DOZENS upon DOZENS of other stars at the time...501's were not some sort of Warhol trademark...I don't believe Andy did any serious work with Levi's...I may be mistaken.

from THE PHILOSOPHY OF ANDY WARHOL (From A to B and Back Again)

(page 13)

"I believe in bluejeans too."

"The ones made by Levis Strauss are the best-cut, best-looking pair of pants that have ever been designed by anybody. Nobody will ever top the original bluejeans. They can't be bought old, they have to be bought new and they have to be worn in by the person. To get that look. And they can't be phoney bleached or phoney anything. You know that little pocket? It's so crazy to have that little little pocket, like for a twenty-dollar gold piece."

"French bluejeans?"

"No, American are the best. Levi Strauss. With the little copper buttons. Studded for evening wear."

"How do you keep them clean, B?"

"You wash them."

"Do you iron them?"

"No, I put fabric softener. The only person who irons them is Geraldo Rivera."

This talk of bluejeans was making me very jealous. Of Levi and Strauss. I wish I could invent something like bluejeans. Something to be remembered for. Something mass.

"I want to die with my bluejeans on," I heard myself say.

Edited by denimdestroyedmylife on Mar 12, 2006 at 03:44 PM

• 1 month later...

levis needs to stop trying so hard. this warhol stuff is repulsive. i would throw away all of my 501s if i cared about how bad levis has been messing up lately... i heard talks of a new levis with an ipod pocket. sigh. if any one thinks that levis can mess up even more than they already have, remember that they make JEAN SHORTS! gross!!!!!!!