new Barney's in Boston

Quote:
Quote:

Better clothes.

--- Original message by RedFoxxworth on Mar 13, 2006 12:37 PM

let me ask again, please elaborate. what is 'better clothes'? what do you want to see hanging on their racks? what would you like to buy there? what brands do you want them to carry? can i ask it any other way? what is 'better' than nice collective, dior homme, rogan, trovata, paul smith, zegna, marc jacobs, etc?

--- Original message by giantreptile on Mar 14, 2006 07:16 AM

Leave me alone.

IT GETS WACKER BY THE SECOND!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

just asking someone to back up their argument, that's all. i'm tired of unfounded opinions. no i don't work there.

--- Original message by giantreptile on Mar 14, 2006 10:10 AM

If an opinion was founded, it would be a fact, not an opinion.

barney.jpg

IT GETS WACKER BY THE SECOND!

Guest Fade to Black
Quote:

emphasis on the ETC, they did have cloak, junya watanabe, and rick owens. i'll agree with you on raf simmons. but a majority of the clothes you listed are for a niche market, particularly asian.

--- Original message by giantreptile on Mar 14, 2006 09:15 AM

niche or otherwise, the clothes i listed are better than the boring/cookie cutter stuff you mentioned. You were just asking which clothes were better, hell i might as well throw even more niche stuff like Carol Christian Poell, Carpe Diem/LMaltieri up in the mix.

And the Asian market comment is silly, that's just a representation one gets from browsing online message boards like The Fashion Spot where a lot of people expressing interest in these brands happen to be Asian. There's a much wider market for the brands I listed, hence their strong presence in Europe/the US. Aside from Dior Homme, I don't even see anyone reppin these brands real hard in Asia itself.

boring, cookie cutter? i'm flabbergasted. first off; i was just listing what they had, not what are my personal favorites. and my argument was that it's hard to look at that list that they carry (in boston mind you) and go 'hmm, whatever'. and all i was asking is if that's whatever, then what's better? and thankfully you chimed in and gave me your list, which i appreciate. now, back to those brands being cookie cutter: i can't believe i'm reading you say that about brands like nice collective, cloak, rogan, marc jacobs, paul smith, and dior homme. especially after the stuff i've seen you wear on "what are you wearing today". you're not exactly going out on a limb. and i meant no insult on the brands you mentioned as being asian targeted. i stand by what i said that a number of those are asian influenced, designed by asian, and fit with the japanese asthetic. i'm not defending barney's and i'm not really that bent out of shape. i'm just curious about what someone would be expecting from a place when they walk in.

Edited by giantreptile on Mar 14, 2006 at 02:26 PM

Guest Fade to Black
Quote:

"I'm just having fun on the internet."

It wasn't even the brands. I just didn't really see anything I liked. What can I do? I expected to find something. Too bad.

--- Original message by RedFoxxworth on Mar 14, 2006 03:25 PM

yeah...even the main Barney's in NYC, the last few times I went I did not see anything I wanted to own. oh well.

Hell, it's hard to sell Cloak in LA. I remember NYCers amazed that the F/W 2004-2005 Cloak hoodies were on sale at the Louis sale, and not selling, when the piece had been sold out for months in NYC. And Carol Christian Poell, Number (N)ine, etc... would not sell well in Boston. May as well put them on clearance immediately. Seriously, it's hard to sell CCP in L.A.

I'm wondering how the denim collection is though. Are they carrying 5EP or Crate or YEN, or sticking to the old tried and true Diesel/True Religion/Nudie? Not that there is anything wrong with tried and true, which, like niche brands, range from really good to really bad.

Guest Fade to Black
Quote:

Hell, it's hard to sell Cloak in LA. I remember NYCers amazed that the F/W 2004-2005 Cloak hoodies were on sale at the Louis sale, and not selling, when the piece had been sold out for months in NYC. And Carol Christian Poell, Number (N)ine, etc... would not sell well in Boston. May as well put them on clearance immediately. Seriously, it's hard to sell CCP in L.A.

I'm wondering how the denim collection is though. Are they carrying 5EP or Crate or YEN, or sticking to the old tried and true Diesel/True Religion/Nudie? Not that there is anything wrong with tried and true, which, like niche brands, range from really good to really bad.

--- Original message by LA Guy on Mar 14, 2006 03:38 PM

i imagine the CCP, N(N), C Diem etc. would be tough to sell in pretty much any place other than New York or LA, in the States at least...but isn't there a store in Boston, Alan Bilzerian or Louis Boston (don't remember which of the two) that carried some pretty avant garde stuff like Undercover, Maurizio Altieri stuff...i wonder how that store does.

even i-cii in Toronto which was selling some of those Japanese brands for a while seems to be going through trouble...i recently learned they teamed with 83 Bloor, so i-cii's gonna be in there...all of i-cii's sale stuff was put there.

Redd: It's gotta be in some abandoned wearhouse that you can only get to by standing at a certain location where a minivan will pull up, masked men will put a paper bag over your head, whisk you into the van and drive you there...

Quote:
Quote:

--- Original message by LA Guy on Mar 14, 2006 03:38 PM

i imagine the CCP, N(N), C Diem etc. would be tough to sell in pretty much any place other than New York or LA, in the States at least...but isn't there a store in Boston, Alan Bilzerian or Louis Boston (don't remember which of the two) that carried some pretty avant garde stuff like Undercover, Maurizio Altieri stuff...i wonder how that store does.

even i-cii in Toronto which was selling some of those Japanese brands for a while seems to be going through trouble...i recently learned they teamed with 83 Bloor, so i-cii's gonna be in there...all of i-cii's sale stuff was put there.

Redd: It's gotta be in some abandoned wearhouse that you can only get to by standing at a certain location where a minivan will pull up, masked men will put a paper bag over your head, whisk you into the van and drive you there...

--- Original message by Fade to Black on Mar 14, 2006 03:42 PM

Alan does sell Carpe Diem boots, and some Undercover, as well as lots of Yamamoto (both pour homme and Y3) - he is a huge fan of the Japanese aesthetic. He even goes into really niche brands like BB London and Krone's & Kin and I know that he imported Jas MB accessories at some point (since we're dropping names, I thought I'd do so myself). But his mainstays are easier to sell brands like Margiela and his own brand, and he has an amazing eye. And he doesn't need an amazing sell through to walk in customers to keep in the black, unlike a megastore like Barneys.

Don't bet on it. AFAIK, Nudie is making a huge push into the US, which means that it is registering on every single radar screen across the country. It's going to be the new Seven, from what I hear. I have three pairs, and am definitely not going to be shelling out for a fourth unless the discount goes super low (at least 50%).

Guest Fade to Black
Quote:

The guys from I-CII are going to be opening up a store on Bloor I believe..I forget the name...it's not open as yet but the windows are already up and they've listed all of the brands they'll be carring...N(N) being one of them....

--- Original message by triniboy27 on Mar 15, 2006 09:30 AM

it's called NOIR...basically gonna be opened up in conjunction with the guys at 83 Bloor. So i-cii has the Japanese avant garde section set up, while 83 bloor will be pushin the Dolce and all those other European brands.