new Barney's in Boston

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the barneys in boston is flagship material. the mall it's in is pretty luxe. i've worked on the construction of several of the stores there and know that company that built that store and they were pretty wowed. when construction workers are wowed that sually means something cause everything now is crap. what are you shooting it for?

yea i mean if you consider the other stores in the copley mall (louis vuitton, tiffanys, gucci even? dont remember but still) you can imagine that the barneys there will be quite the sight to see...

and its the first barneys flagship in 11 years, so it should be pretty hyped

Thanks Complice,

I am off at the end of the month to do some more work in Dubai. The company who are building the Burj are funny because they still haven't decided how tall it will be. Depends on other buildings they are competing with. It will definitely have Armani's first hotel inside though, which will be cool. You should be able to see iran from the top, so get a telescope and eventualy you will see Condaleeza riding gunshot on a tank!

On the opening sales night, which was only for Emirates natives, even the invites could be sold for $25,000 each. Pretty much every apt sold on that night, with people trying to buy 10 apartments at a time, and a fist fight broke out when one guy took a call before signing for a place and lost it to the guy behind!

Wouldn't recommend the place to live though. My assistant described it as a house of cards built on sand, which is very accurate. With all the new irrigation from desalination plants, the marine life has all been killed and the weather is gray thanks to the amount of evaporating water. Politicaly it is run by a guy who is ruler after stabbing his brother to death ("but it was 30 years ago") and one terrorist bomb would make the whole place fall apart. Considering there is alcohol and prostitution it would seem an obvious extremist target were it not for the fact that the terrorists probably go there on vacation themselves.

It is also full of expats who want to sit in the heat with their Indian servants pretending they are in some kind of colony. And if you think you have ID trouble opening a bank account in the US, go to Dubai. No accountants means the place is swarming with people with bags of cash putting it straight into Dubai branches of your local bank.

Forget about the overblown Dubai ports thing though, they have so much money invested in all sorts of areas and the amount invested in US companies is insignificant compared to Saudi investments here.

Still, the pay, food and hospitality is good, so I will enjoy it!

If you go, stay on the creek and go to the old traditional village, it really shows you nice Arab life and you can even understand the beauty of wearing a dish-dash or bhurka. You know even Prada and Armani make bhurkas?

I am shooting a film set in 7 World Trade Center tomorrow with Bruce Willis and Halle Berry - now that's more like it!

Adrian

Adrian Wilson

Interior and Architectural Photographer

www.interiorphotography.net

hey, anyone go to barneys today?? i was there around 3:30-4:00pm... they had nudies, forgot what model...but they were on the cashier counter for 195...they had some dior homme stuff, marc jacobs, some capital E levis, prada...etc nothing really caught my eye tho besides the dry nudies and this one pair of levis in 36x36 i believe..dont know what model but i only saw 1 pair.

if anyone was there at that time, i was the asian with the rigid evisuxpuma jeans on and a black hooded jacket...u couldnt miss my mint green evisu logos on my ass... haha

yeah @pokpok i was there like at the same time. lol the girls stuff was kinda wack. i mean mad 7 for all mankinds. i saw some acne jeans for women. bad colors tho. :( boring ass. juicy couture sweatsuit skirt things. :/ some splendid c+c company shirts... mad marc jacobs. i found a gorgeous tan trench coat for like 4 something. loved the marc jacobs, i wasnt feelin the rest really.

beautiful store tho. lol

i wonder if you saw me. i was the only black chick. i had a black hoodie, green skirt black leggings and silver sparkle shoes w/ bag. lol

i was quite pleased with barney's. new york it ain't, but it blows all other shops in boston out of the water. louis, neiman, and saks will have to step up their game for sure. they had it all: cloak, dior, nice, rogan, nudie, acne, prada, marc jacobs, trovata, engineered garments, comme de garcon, etc.

Well I shoot a lot of stores and I liked it. There were some genuinely interesting ideas and the finish was very good. Liked the vintage display furniture choices.

Not sure about the VM though, the guy has a weird sense of humor, such as placing piles of socks on heads, or even mannekins holding their own heads a la Hamlet pose. Blue mannekins are a but strange - too close to Blue Man Group colors.

FYI the whole store was designed by a company of 4 designers and it is made from 2 buildings. This is why there is a strange expansion strip running through the store.

I have pictures if anyone is interested?

Apparently there is an even more spectacular one opening in Dallas in a few months.

Adrian

Adrian Wilson

Interior and Architectural Photographer

www.interiorphotography.net

Quote:

Better clothes.

--- Original message by RedFoxxworth on Mar 13, 2006 12:37 PM

let me ask again, please elaborate. what is 'better clothes'? what do you want to see hanging on their racks? what would you like to buy there? what brands do you want them to carry? can i ask it any other way? what is 'better' than nice collective, dior homme, rogan, trovata, paul smith, zegna, marc jacobs, etc?

Guest Fade to Black
Quote:
Quote:

Better clothes.

--- Original message by RedFoxxworth on Mar 13, 2006 12:37 PM

let me ask again, please elaborate. what is 'better clothes'? what do you want to see hanging on their racks? what would you like to buy there? what brands do you want them to carry? can i ask it any other way? what is 'better' than nice collective, dior homme, rogan, trovata, paul smith, zegna, marc jacobs, etc?

--- Original message by giantreptile on Mar 14, 2006 07:16 AM

hmm i don't find that list of brands particularly attractive either. For starters, I'd say Yohji Yamamoto, Raf Simons, Junya Watanabe, Ann Demeulemeester, Rick Owens, Comme des Garcons, Number (N)ine, etc etc. are better than any of the brands you listed.

edit: i saw you listed CdG as one of the brands they carry so scratch that off. The rest stands.

Edited by Fade to Black on Mar 14, 2006 at 09:10 AM