Random Question: Bleeding Jeans/Staining Shoes

bluefintoro

Wondering if anyone has advice about this...

Some of jeans (usually Paper Denim, Evisu etc) rub against and stain my shoes making them blue. I've gotten into the habit of not washing my jeans but dry cleaning them... (Don't like the unpredicatability of the shrinkage etc.)

Has anyone had this happen to them, and short of actually washing the jeans, have any tips on mitagating this?

Thanks!

even after washing them they're still gonna stain your shoes...I have the same problem as well. But I just don't bother too much about it.

Some guy asked this questionn before and someone(can't remember who) here on the board adviced using some tape on the insides of your hem.

I hate everything and everyone.

If you're careful about your wash settings and hang dry your jeans they won't really shrink... I mean they will a little, but will go back to their original size after a couple of hours of wear.

About the jeans staining shoes... The only tip I have for you is to line the inside cuffs of your jeans with Masking tape (maybe even duct), so that the tape is what is rubbing onto your shoes and not the denim. BUT Tape doesnt always stick so well to fabric and can rip off when you move or if th shoe brushes againt it the wrong way.

This happens to me all the time, and I just live with it. It's the mark of a indigo lover LOL.

Someone mentioned taping the underside of your jeans.

You could try protecting your shoes with some kind of stain guard.(spray or wax).

Personally, not washing your jeans is a shame. I find the beauty of denim is the way the wear, fade and shrink.

BTW shrinkage should not be much of an issue in modern jeans, especially if you have bought them already with an industrial wash. Most of the shrinkage will have taken place in the mill (most denims are 'fixed' and many are sanforized at the mill) or in the industrial laundry. (Many washes, especially the more 'vintage' looking ones, will have already spent up to 48 hours being washed and dryed in industrial machines).

Narrow loom non sanforized 'selvage'denim in a raw, unwashed state may shrink a bit more, but not that much to worry about. (as denims will also stretch a bit when you wear them).

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Problem is: I'm a denim lover AND a sneaker lover! :)

Usually, I hem them and the dry clean once and really don't clean them a lot after (gross, I know).

I'll try washing one pair and hang drying to see what happens.

Have had terrible shrinkage (espescially Japanese Evisu selvage stock) problems before rendering a couple pair too tight and short to wear!

How many washes you think before the bleeding stops? Two, three?

How many washes you think before the bleeding stops? Two, three?

It never really stops, it just gradually decreases with each wash as the indigo is released from the denim.

2 or 3 washes should really decrease the amounts of indigo deposits on your sneakers.

You've gotta wash them jeans. icon_smile.gif It's part of the whole fascination of denim.

Sorry to hear your Evisu's shrank so much - you must have long legs!

I'm not that tall! It's just really hard to estimate that selvedge/un-pre-washed denim and how much it will shrink...

Question: So do you guys generally wash you jeans, then hem them? (I hem, then dry clean.)

I like my jeans sort of loose fitting... Those who wear them this way, do you buy a size up to compensate for shrinkage?

Thanks.

Re: Hem-wash-or-wash-hem

Depends. Some jeans I don't hem at all, and just wear them with turn ups or leave them long.

Usually with raw denim, I'll wear for a while, with turnups. Then wash. Then hem after the first wash.

With jeans that have already been pre-washed at the factory, I'll hem 'em straight away, or whenever I can be bothered. Pre-washed jeans will hardly shrink at all.

I wear jeans a lil'loose like you. If they fit loose in the shop then that's good enough. I rarely need to compensate for shrinkage. Besides, if they shrink it's usually more in length than width.

When you buy your jeans, the shop assistants should be able to give you an idea of how much those particular jeans will shrink. Ballpark would be 3-5%. Wash them in a cool or cold wash and they will shrink less than in a hot wash.

• 1 year later...
Quote:

wear stan smiths

lol i got shit loads of indiglo on the heel

o well

like ringring said

its the mark of an indiglo lover

Edited by tm on Mar 27, 2006 at 06:59 PM

--- Original message by tm on Mar 27, 2006 06:58 PM

hehehehe, point of interest: "indiglo" is that funny watch background colour, trademarked by Timex.

you love "Indigo"

icon_smile_tongue.gif

nairb49

• 1 month later...