define style

Guest dontcaretoomuchforcrap

man, i was going to make fun of you (i even made a post in jest of this one that quickly got turned into supertrash) but I think you're question is legit.

Just thinking about it, briefly, following the initial 'rolling of the minds eye' I came upon the thought that style, like many other sociological trends, has much to do with the science (if you can call it that) of memetics. Not sure if anyone here has heard of it, but I think the way style is formed and dissemenated can be explained by memetics.

"droppin science like galileo dropped the orange"

fuckin' right i'm a doctor

style, thought of as a social virus, or meme, is the product of collective preferences, ideas, psychological desires/wants, etc.

style comes from those around us, the political/economic state of the moment. It comes from what we think of ourselves, what we want others to think of us, what we think others want us to think of ourselves. style is an attitude, developed by and drawing from our evironment.

from very young we look to others, our friends, family, celebrities, news anchors, strangers, whoever and we pick out the things we like/dislike about the way they look, act, talk, eat, etc.

we model ourselves after everyone and everything we admire, are drawn to, every cause we support, political party we identify with and from ALL OF THIS we come up with this 'style' this way of portraying ourselves from the inside out.

style and how it's formed explains a lot about why people will pay $150 for BAPE t, and why they think this makes them stylish, it explains why a dude like robin williams can wear what kids less than half is age wear and some how pull it off. style is the dude that wears whatever the f#$* he wants without succumbing to what society or his niche of society thinks is cool. style is making what you like....stylish??

that took a surprisingly short time to churn out.

fuckin' right i'm a doctor

style Pronunciation Key (stl)

n.

1. The way in which something is said, done, expressed, or performed: a style of

speech and writing.

2. The combination of distinctive features of literary or artistic expression, execution,

or performance characterizing a particular person, group, school, or era.

3. Sort; type: a style of furniture.

4. A quality of imagination and individuality expressed in one's actions and

tastes: does things with style.

a. A comfortable and elegant mode of existence: living in style.

b. A mode of living: the style of the very rich.

a. The fashion of the moment, especially of dress; vogue.

b. A particular fashion: the style of the 1920s. See Synonyms at fashion.

7. A customary manner of presenting printed material, including usage, punctuation,

spelling, typography, and arrangement.

8. A form of address; a title.

a. An implement used for etching or engraving.

b. A slender pointed writing instrument used by the ancients on wax tablets.

10. The needle of a phonograph.

11. The gnomon of a sundial.

12. Botany. The usually slender part of a pistil, situated between the ovary and the stigma.

13. Zoology. A slender, tubular, or bristlelike process: a cartilaginous style.

14. Medicine. A surgical probing instrument; a stylet.

15. Obsolete. A pen.

tr.v. styled, styl·ing, styles

1. To call or name; designate: George VI styled his brother Duke of Windsor.2.

To make consistent with rules of style: style a manuscript.

3. To give style to: style hair.

-_-

there is no escaping style, it takes hold of the imagination: a way of doing things, comporting oneself, of seeing the world through one's own eyes.

style is doing something that's been done a hundred times before and making it seem like you just thought of it.

when it's copied, it's called fashion.

Edited by sarno on Feb 14, 2006 at 09:25 PM