Hooded Sweatshirt Production Advice (please help)

SETUP:

I have been buying Supreme hoodies for a while now, but realized that although the quality is great it never justified the price tag. I did my reseach and found that the makers, CYC, was a virtual old-boy's club in terms of the hoddy market. A minimum from them is 500, they hardly asnwer their phones, never respond to email, and pretty much unwilling to do any business. My beef is not with Supreme, but just wanted to find quality blanks. I know Carhartt is an obvious choice, but it's too heavy and the cotton is too textured.

YOUR ADVICE PLEASE:

I have sent back a sweatshirt to family members in Taiwan, and Hong Kong. I asked them to rip the entire sweat apart and find a way to reverse engineer the sweatshirt. I have told the manufacturers not to bother with replicating (it's not an exact replication, rather a search for comprable quality products/fabrics) the procuct unless they can committ to at least 80% of the quality.

What I want to know is what things I can add to make the sweatshirt better.

And whether their is a market for this product.

Best way to market the product.

And what cuts I should be looking for (what brands do you figure have the best SMALL, MEDIUM, LARGE)

MY IDEAS:

Double Zipper (two zippers)

Full Zip to Hood (a la Bape)

THANKS IN ADVANCE

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

your ideas are nice. but don't forget that people buy plain hoodies that are just damn good in quality, good colors, cuts, and good price.

i'm still lookin for a good quality, price, color, cut, etc.

but if you want something i've been looking for:

-a scuba hoodie, like a hood that's stitched in 3 places so it conforms to the head + the zipper zips to a high collar. i've wanted something like this for a while now and i haven't found anything that matches.

Well I would love to get blank CYC hoodies so if I ever found one similar I would buy a few of them. They would need to be thermal lined, thermal lined pockets would be cool too. Double zippers is good. Maybe thumb holes on the sleeve so you can put the end over your hand like a glove?

Im wearing my supreme thermal zip hood from about 5 years back now. I wouldnt add anything to it except the double zips (nice idea) which are like value added without making it look too overdesigned and trendy. Ive got double zips on some Masterpiece stuff and it feels quality, also ads some options to how you wear it.

But basically you dont want to fuck with the design too much, keep it simple.

One thing but on my thermal zip the only place that busted in 5 years is the stitching above one of the kangaroo pockets. This is from putting my hands in and pushing down I guess. I think I heard of others having this problem. Make your version reinforced there. Great idea by the way.

Be Advised: Morgan Nixon AKA Moman631 AKA Moman6040 is a fraud.

Quote:

Well I would love to get blank CYC hoodies so if I ever found one similar I would buy a few of them. They would need to be thermal lined, thermal lined pockets would be cool too. Double zippers is good. Maybe thumb holes on the sleeve so you can put the end over your hand like a glove?

--- Original message by bobby alto on Feb 8, 2006 09:15 PM

If you want a blank CYC hoodie, buy Spruce.

Milspex-Good observation about the reinforced pockets. And I agree that the design should be kept simple. Do you feel Supreme is a nice cut? Because I have felt the sleeves could be a tad longer.

Bobby-Thermal lined is another good observation. These are the things that make a good prodcut superior to others in the marketplace. Attention to detail is key, while keeping a simple aesthetic.

Thanks for all the ideas. I look forward to responding to everything. I was just looking at my Supreme deck jacket and wondered if a nylon (or any other fabric) tag to the zipper would help. It definitely helps, but does it distract from the simple hoody design?

-pete

well its possible, what you do is have one zipper a 'false one'... but maybe you could unzip it and reveal the internal thermal lining.

this might be nice if you want to 'cool off' and vent without unzipping and having your hoodie turn into a cape when the wind blows.

plus if the internal thermal lining is a whole different color (complimentary or fluorescent) i think it could be a very very sleek thing.

and i can't believe this came off the top of my head...

Minya-I guess the dual zippers is a hit.

Again, I will trying to detract from digressing from the simple design. The idea is to market this as an OEM product to independent design companies that cannot meet the CYC minimum. I've seen some Hundred Hoodys and they are executed so poorly. It's robbery to charge that much for that kind of quality, no doubt you are buying the name, but I think there should be something to expected when a hoddy is 80 bucks. Hundreds is only an example, there are a lot of companies out there. BTW I actaully really like the Usugrow design and was about to drop the money for the hoddy, but the qualty pulled me away.

-pete

I don't think the thermal lining is such a great idea.

You can always wear a thermal undershirt underneath the hoody.

If the thermal is built in people in warmer climates (california) might not want to buy it.

Thermal sweatshirts always seemed to thick for my liking. They're nice in the winter, but OD on Spring/Summer nights.

We should just organize a Superfuture order from CYC. If 250 people buy 2 hoodies each (pretty reasonable) then we could meet the 500 order min.

People would inevitably flake out though.

Prefiero morir de pie que vivir siempre arrodillado

Perhaps this website might help you:

http://www.loopwheeler.co.jp/

Loopwheeler is outta japan and they do some seriously great quality blank clothing. My friend has a hoodie and it's one of the best I've seen. I think you might take some interest to reading the english site to get a feel about how good quality stuff is produced.

Quote:

Milspex-Good observation about the reinforced pockets. And I agree that the design should be kept simple. Do you feel Supreme is a nice cut? Because I have felt the sleeves could be a tad longer.

Bobby-Thermal lined is another good observation. These are the things that make a good prodcut superior to others in the marketplace. Attention to detail is key, while keeping a simple aesthetic.

Thanks for all the ideas. I look forward to responding to everything. I was just looking at my Supreme deck jacket and wondered if a nylon (or any other fabric) tag to the zipper would help. It definitely helps, but does it distract from the simple hoody design?

-pete

--- Original message by starvinglawstudent on Feb 8, 2006 09:53 PM

yeah the cut is the best thing about supreme sweats. Its perfect imo, the arms arent too short for my liking but if they were a little longer it wouldnt bother me.

Be Advised: Morgan Nixon AKA Moman631 AKA Moman6040 is a fraud.

Quote:

I don't think the thermal lining is such a great idea.

You can always wear a thermal undershirt underneath the hoody.

If the thermal is built in people in warmer climates (california) might not want to buy it.

Thermal sweatshirts always seemed to thick for my liking. They're nice in the winter, but OD on Spring/Summer nights.

We should just organize a Superfuture order from CYC. If 250 people buy 2 hoodies each (pretty reasonable) then we could meet the 500 order min.

People would inevitably flake out though.

--- Original message by eastcoastrider27 on Feb 8, 2006 10:19 PM

that's a phenomenal idea. start a thread and we'll see how many people we can get to sign up.

Dystaind, a brand here in Canada, that is soon to be in the US, called lulu lemon actually makes a hoody called the Scuba. It has all the elements you have commented on. They "made it big" based on womens yoga wear, but they have soem great men's stuff that is not very logo'd or anything. I have a hoodie from them that is like nothing I have seen before in terms of quality (90 CDN) and is double lined throughout, has mesh within some of the pockets to hodl stuff inside, a pocket and cord run for an MP3 (I do not use this and you would not know it is there if you do not care to use it), and many other features. If you can call them that.

Any how, I got ragged on for promoting this hoodie in another thread, but I though I would point it out to you if you want soemthing like this but are having trouble finding it.

Cheers,

for a topic that may go unanswered so many other places, this one has been extremely informative and interesting

DOES WHAT I SAY INTEREST YOU?

I am available for employment,

full time, part time, & consulting, depending on the numbers

I am willing to work for major companies, brands, stores, and magazines

possibly whereever you want me to work, or what gap you need filled is up for discussion, from working directly with clothes to freelance writing

feel free to inquire about anything

contact email: [email protected]

Personally, I think metal zippers shit all over plastic ones. The plastic ones feel cheap to me unless they are the heavy duty ones you find on gore tex jackets. I am talking about the plastic ones they use on AA hoodies as an example of the crappy ones.

Also, I would like drawstrings on the hood. The end of the string needs to be covered in plastic though, similar to a shoelace if that makes sense. On my AA hoodie, the ends of the drawstring aren't closed up so they are becoming undone.

Haha I guess I am just telling you everything I hate about my AA hoodie.

Quote:

Dystaind, a brand here in Canada, that is soon to be in the US, called lulu lemon actually makes a hoody called the Scuba. It has all the elements you have commented on. They "made it big" based on womens yoga wear, but they have soem great men's stuff that is not very logo'd or anything. I have a hoodie from them that is like nothing I have seen before in terms of quality (90 CDN) and is double lined throughout, has mesh within some of the pockets to hodl stuff inside, a pocket and cord run for an MP3 (I do not use this and you would not know it is there if you do not care to use it), and many other features. If you can call them that.

Any how, I got ragged on for promoting this hoodie in another thread, but I though I would point it out to you if you want soemthing like this but are having trouble finding it.

Cheers,

--- Original message by HEWSINATOR on Feb 8, 2006 11:05 PM

The Lulu Lemon hoodies are definatley top notch quality... Look into it Dystaind...

my favourite things

http://mfthings.blogspot.com/

Edited by SENDkylHISPASSWORD on Feb 9, 2006 at 09:30 PM

Whoa S.L.S.

Them's fighting words.

First of all, you're claiming that you've tried contacting CYC. I'm pretty certain you haven't.

Next, you're quite calmly stating that you've picked up a sweatshirt (Supreme? Spruce?) and sent it "back" to family members in Taiwan and Hongkong to "reverse engineer". Pretty words for y'know, 'knock off', 'copy', 'rip'.

That's not very nice of you. Even if you're trying to be helpful by 'suggesting' that Double Zippers are an "improvement" (considering that pretty much all Spruce zipups have had them all along). And it isn't really your idea if Bathing Ape's done it before, right?

Anyhow.

If you want to make a line, power to you. I just don't think it's particularly kosher asking the good people here what you should copy so that you can mass produce it and sell it to the unwashed masses at WalMart.