Diesel jeans

chinoyboi

I've kinda noticed that nobody talks about Diesel jeans, is there something about them that's bad and no one likes about? I personally like them, their cuts and fits are great, and they fade their jeans rather nice. I just wish they had more selection of japanese denim which they get so few of.

I think the main reason there is not much discussion of Diesel is that they are pretty mainstream at this point, and this board tends to focus more on brands/lines that have less exposure.

I still have a few pairs of Diesels, but don't wear them much, as the look is a little played out IMO.

I agree that they have produced some good cuts and washes over the years.

ask a cassowary

Well, it's all relative.

I'm in San Francisco and I don't see as much Diesel as I saw a year or two ago, when a lot of people were wearing it (including me.)

Some people got tired of the extreme washes and went to the opposite extreme of raw denim, I am in this category.

It also depends on where you're hanging/who with. There are several demographics represented in the Bay Area.

So maybe Diesel isn't as mainstream as it was, or as much as the brands you mentioned. And of course many people are wearing Levis, Express, Gap, AE and A&F.

ask a cassowary

theres definitely a majority of people wearing the urban brands, such as ecko, sean john, regular levi's, gap, a&f, etc. a small percent, the ones who shop at nordstrom, saks, regularly wear 7s and other mainstream expensives regularly. and then, an even smaller percent, more like 1-2%, wear the extemely expensive brands that no one knows about.

i used to be a nikehead...but now i know that adidas is where the real heat is at!

Quote:

Does Diesel's new spring line have a pair of dry selvage?

--- Original message by cchen on Jan 27, 2006 12:43 AM

i dont think diesel has ever done dry selvedge jeans. they tend to not really follow denim trends as much as some of the other brands. i have always liked certain plainer styles and some of the washes look pretty cool. im not a big fan of the crazy look at me styles but the quality and denim has always been pretty good. if you like the way they look then go for it. wear what you dig.

some of their jeans look good but it's like PRPS, too much, overdone.

their washes look decent but not good enough so to buy it.

didn't find a description in the washes of any Japanese denim,

although generally there's at least one or two.

they actually did selvahe once or twice.

Quote:
Quote:

pretty sure that their spring line at least has a pair of selvage denim...

--- Original message by cchen on Jan 27, 2006 10:21 PM

the diesel KRATT. which was a very baggy jean. had a selvage version. i doubt they still make it

--- Original message by Corbin Law on Jan 28, 2006 10:59 AM

Let me rephrase. There is a selvage jean in the spring collection. My friend just purchased it.

Quote: It also depends on where you're hanging/who with.

Agreed...what's played out in one place might not be played out elsewhere. In Atlanta and Cleveland I see relatively few people wearing Diesels.

I'm hot and cold on Diesel jeans...it all depends on the wash. My buddy has some from a couple years ago that have this wash that makes them look striped...I don't like those at all. I also am not personally a big fan of the really dark ones with a greenish tint. But the more normal-looking distressed washes are pretty nice looking to me.

Bottom line for me is Diesel-style washes are like pretty much everything else in the clothing world: wear it too often, you look like a douchebag. Nothing wrong with having a couple pairs of jeans in your wardrobe with a flashy wash, as long as you have some other options.

Just went into the Diesel store in downtown San Francisco and asked about the raw selvage jean for Spring. They showed me two cuts, Shazor and Paddam, which did appear to be raw, but were not selvage, though the Shazor had "fake" selvage with two colors of thread.

Though raw, the jeans had been ironed or otherwise made to have some wrinkles on the hips and knees.

Maybe the selvage is not being distributed through that store, I don't know.

ask a cassowary

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

pretty sure that their spring line at least has a pair of selvage denim...

--- Original message by cchen on Jan 27, 2006 10:21 PM

the diesel KRATT. which was a very baggy jean. had a selvage version. i doubt they still make it

--- Original message by Corbin Law on Jan 28, 2006 10:59 AM

Let me rephrase. There is a selvage jean in the spring collection. My friend just purchased it.

--- Original message by cchen on Jan 28, 2006 01:20 PM

cchen-

please tell me what the model was and what art# is the wash? if diesel has in fact made a dry selvedge jean i must track it down and see it for myself. are you sure its not just colored thread on the outseam? i have a pair or rabox art 80m that look like selvedge from a distance but in fact is just red thread. diesel doesnt list any of thier denim washes for s/s 2006 as being selvedge and the flagship store also had no knowledge of this. so since you brought this up can you ask your friend what model he was lucky enough to find (the day after you happened to be looking for them)?icon_smile_wink.gif

Quote:

Why buy Diesels when you spend a little more and a get pair of raw APCs, Nudies, etc...

--- Original message by Neuman on Jan 28, 2006 10:02 PM

i dont want to buy them i just want proof of their existance. a.p.c. by the way usually costs a bit less than diesel.

I have a couple pairs of Diesels and some of their jeans are pretty nice, but when you start getting dorky about jeans (ie, posting to a messageboard about them) and you scrutinize what you see out there, their washes range from "subtle and tasteful" to the unfortunately more common "unnaturally faded in weird areas" all the way to "awful eurotrashy stripes" The way I look at it, beyond just name recognition, Diesel is known for their washes and weird cuts and detailing. Most of their jeans anymore are a little much for my tastes. I think a lot of their allure is flash rather than just being a sturdy and really well-made pair of jeans. Obviously there's nothing wrong with this and they're doing something right to be as popular as they are, but I prefer a different approach for jeans in that price range

Their jeans have gotten pretty played out recently. Indie kids still wear them, but when I find myself walking through the awful, meatmarkety, reggaeton playing bar areas of town on weekends (not by choice, hahaha) I see dudes who used to be fratboys a couple years ago and are now rocking the nasty striped shirts and spiky gelmet do's with the indicative bar on the coin pocket. That's usually a sign that it's time to move on.

Edited by mcflip on Jan 30, 2006 at 10:37 AM

I have the following Diesel Jeans -

Deegull jeans in 726 denim, 14oz selvidge spirit

I've never worn them... my girl has worn them a couple of times and basically just has blue legs for days... it's hilarious!

I'll try and post pics soon... they aren't my kind of jeans at all, but nice to have!

(: D)

Ok, well, my last pair of jeans were a Diesel Rabox that used to be somewhat greencasted and somewhat distressed. The cut is pretty nice, though I'm sick of ultra low rise and bootcuts. Anyway, they were my favorite for a while. After a year and a half of heavy wear, I busted out both knees hiking one day. I replaced them with a pair of NUDIES regular ralf dry selvage and now I can't even imagine wearing the Diesels again. Any Diesels. It doesn't help that my boss now wears Diesels. Kinda played here in Philly IMO. Anyway, the NUDIES quality is waaaaaaay better.