Real Vintage Denim

johnmc

Just keep on lookin', I have scored 2 pairs of redlines at thrift stores recently and a couple of cool 70's bells.

I think the 509 is like a a student version of the 505 jean that has skinny legs and an orange tab.

--- Original message by Serge d Nimes on Jan 24, 2006 07:04 PMI am curious, the jeans you say are "not for wearing". What exactly are they for then? I am not hating...I just have always wondered why people collect stuff and just look at it. Are they like an investment that you are planning to flip in a few years because that I can definately understand. I own quite a few pair of vintage 501s and 505s (all big E) and I wear the shit out of them. (sorry I quoted the wrong post)

Edited by damnIam on Jan 27, 2006 at 07:45 AM

Edited by damnIam on Jan 27, 2006 at 07:46 AM

Yeah, I've being collecting vintage denim for more than 10 years. No, unless I'm really broke ...else i've never even think of selling them for profit...so investment is not really part of it. Just a passion for me, everyone got something to collect except mine is kindda strange collection. Another reason is those "not for wearing" 501XX of mine were bunch of really good condition jeans....deep indigo and some like new, so i dont see y i wana kill their beauty. I do have other deadstock big E & redline...well, they were just for my eyeing pleasure too..ha. One of my rare 501XX were WWII Levis aka S501XX. So u see...I just love them & big part of reason is I cant bear to wear them at all.

i have tons of vintage denim.

lots of levis 517 o tab from beat as shit to raw, 501's (no redlines), 505's, 509's, 646's, 684's, a bunch of wranglers(some cool bootleg/flare with awesome broken twill) some sedgefields, g. vanderbilts, plain pockets (j.c.pennys brand from 60's -80's)lots of random little known brands and even some 80's gap.

i only wear a few pairs regularly and the vast majority dont even fit. but if i see a cool pair i buy 'em regardless of size. i give a lot to friends and have sold some others but all told i must have 75+ pairs of vintage jeans.

for a while all i would wear is vintage levis but lately ive been rocking my julian red nikkis and even some of my older diesels. i go through phases. i definately am not a big fan of fake "vintage" washes mostly because they almost always look fake but some of the subtler washes (earnest sewn and 5ep) are not too bad. i do not own any repros.

btw if anyone is looking for something in particular id be glad to rummage through my piles for you.

Edited by cultpop 0217 on Jan 27, 2006 at 07:08 PM