Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Big Sur, San Fran...Please Help

gentleman

I'm going on a trip with the girlfriend in a few weeks to the above places. I've only been to LA before...I printed out the maps for San Fran on superfuture but it would be awesome if any of you guys listed your favorite things to do in each city, favorite shops, favorite restaurants (casual cheap grub like bbq or korean or fine dining), and assorted art stuff or stuff like that worth checking out.

I've lived my entire life in NYC, my style is more Steven Alan and APC than Good Enough, and I dig music and art...and all food.

I'm particularly interested in Las Vegas as I'm not too big on the bullshit normal stuff...any cool country bars or something original and not a joke?

thx in advance...

old school superfuturer.

My god. I just spent 15 minutes typing up a huge post and it got erased. GODDAMNIT. Here goes again, shorter this time.

Food: SF is full of amazing food. There are fantastic restaurants EVERYWHERE. Great cheap lunch spots: Pasta Pomodoro (all over the city), Siam Thai (downtown, address is 55 Cyril Magnin St., it's in the lobby of a hotel) -- unbelievably good Thai food for $6-8, Mifune in Japantown Plaza, Kiss Sushi or Kabuto on Geary for sushi, Tartine on Guerrero @ 18th (I think) for baked goods/coffee (Tartine's pastries rival those you'd find at a small bakery in France that's been owned by the same family for 400 years). Delicious food is everywhere. God, I miss San Francisco's food.

Music: Amoeba and Aquarius. Amoeba is gigantic, impersonal, and overwhelming. Gotta dig for hours but you'll find innumerable goodies. Aquarius is the exact opposite: small, crowded, incredibly good service w/ everything hand-picked for excellence.

Art: SFMOMA!

Clothes: Saks 5th Mens store, Azalea/MAC/Nomads/bunch of other stores (Hayes Valley), Rolo (Castro + Soma), Villains Vault (Haight), etc.

when you're driving north to Big Sur, stop for dinner in Petaluma. Small town on the way. It's where I'm from. Le Bistro, a tiny (we're talking max. 35 people) restaurant on the outskirts of town that is the most otherworldly French-Californian food I've ever had for EXCELLENT prices (avg. $15 entrees).

Let me know if you have any other NoCal questions...

LA

Food: not sure; i miss out on a lot of food since i'm a vegan. easy to find vietnamese pho, mongolian bbq, etc.

Music: there's another amoeba in LA. unsurprisingly, it is not as good as the one in norcal. Aron's records was cool. last i checked it was shutting down though.

Art: MOCA and LACMA are both good museums. Bowers has smaller, more focused and obscure collections.

Other stuff: uhh everything is all spread out, but check out the area around Hollywood. Go to santa monica promenade if you have the time.

sry i couldn't be of more help.

Quote:

oh shit, food-wise when you're in LA (or SF or Vegas, even): MAKE SURE you eat In 'n Out.

It will change your opinion of fast food forever. Seriously.

--- Original message by minya on Jan 24, 2006 06:40 PM

OH that's a must. good call, minya. and ask them for a paper hat too for a souvenir haha

^Even I may look into the Big Sur hot springs.

For SF: As Minya noted food is abundant. If shopping in Union Square a nice lunch idea is Mocca on Maiden Lane. A few doors up from Marc Jacobs. For Dinner: endless possibilites but I live near Japantown and some spots I like include Mifune or a Suzu for ramen. While, there pick a SF Weekly and look who may be playing at the Fillmore since its right around the corner.

www.shorthousecoffee.blogspot.com