Stores in Boston

lucense

I'm going to school in Boston, and I'm trying to find some intersting clothing stores that supply street-wear-ish kinds of clothing. Of course I'm familiar with Karmaloop, which is a great store, and I think there's another store on Newbury street whose name I can't recall. In Cambridge, there is the store Proletariot, which is a thrift/streetwear store which makes its own t-shirts (I think). ....And that's it. Or at least all I know about. Anyone got any other suggestions? Moving to Boston from New York has kind of been a letdown, as there is a severe deficit of unique stores. Newbury Street and Downtown Crossing are for the most part visiting the same generic stores in the mall. Oh yeah, by streetwear, I mean hipster kind of stuff, not like FUBU kind of crap. I'm not looking for Timberlands and shirts down to my knees, not really my style.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not many 'streetwear' stores in boston. there's the tannery in harvard sq. that sells a lot of shoes, but have a section for more nike related shit and other more streetwear related clothing like mhi, surface to air, etc... stel's on newbury streetwear sells rogues gallery, wings&horns, etc... other than that, i don't really think boston has that much.

what school are you going to?

unfortunately rrrecords is in lowell, which is far away. watching emil play is a pretty damn interesting.

I've been in the area for 3 years (university) and have found nothing.

heard so much bout bloody karma loop but where in god's grace is it?

And yea, all I go to is newbury -_- blah. so whats this tannery place again? is that the name of the shop? i need a spark of some surface 2 air magic.

Karma Loop is probably your best bet of urbanwear in Boston. My brother attends NEU and everytime I visit him, I'm on Newbury St. I only check out NT, Urbanoutfitters and Karmaloop. Sorry that that isn't enough help.

But hey, the person who asked where Karmaloop is:

10 Province Ct

Boston, MA 02108

You can contact them at (617) 695-0689.

-MECE

Be the change you want to see in the world - Gandhi

I too go to NEU for architecture(1st year). The shipping address of Karmaloop for orders is Province Ct, but the retail store is not there (I've looked). It's on Newbury St, right near Copley Square. I have also been to the Tannery (prett cool), and it's right near Harvard Square on Brattle Sq on Brattle St. If you wanna go there, take the Red Line subway to Harvard Sq. The Brattle St exit is right outside the Tannery. Forget streetwear, are there any cool stores that are worth checking out? I know of a few design stores on Mass Ave between Central and Harvard Squares, Abodeon on Mass Ave in Cambridge, and the other stores mentioned before in the thread, and Hosanyi, a furnishing store in Brookline, but are there any others?? I need cool stores to check out. Shopping is fun...

my god, you've come to the wrong place if you're looking for cool fashion. it doesn't exist, here. you want cool shoes? i mean SHOES, not nikes...nothing here to speak of, including the tannery. the only store that sells anything of any interest at all is Louis. and the chasm in both price and design between Louis and everything else in Boston is not, shall we say, discreet. Thank God Barney's is opening a store in Copley in a few weeks. I still don't believe it.

But despite the paucity of stores (particularly menswear stores) here, we have one great secret to finding decent fashion in Boston: Filene's Basement. Shop there a few times a week, keep an eye out and I garruntee you'll find what you need.

Agree about Stel's. They do need more "stuff," tho. And the prices are probably the best they can do for a small boutique in a prime location. I totally forgot about Bilzerian, he's been around forever. Good call. My impression the stuff there isn't so street-wise, more "fine clothier." One other place to check out is Bobby's From Boston over on Harrison Ave. It's a great "make-it-your-own" kind of place, mainly vintage stuff in great condition, some very traditional stuff, just a really cool place to know about and hang out in. The owner is very nice and laid back. I think, tho...I'm hoping...Barney's will make a big splash and give some good competition to Louis, Nieman and Saks. All of whom, by the by, send their leftovers to Filene's Basement...

Yeah, when I went to visit Boston to see some of my friends that are attending college there, the only store I was able to find was Karma Loop. I guess there's not many people into street wear there.

The kid with the most knoweldge

Will touch and attain top dollas

Oh Boston, How I love you, I wish you had a bit more to offer in terms of High Fashion.

I shop at:

stel's

louis boston

vintage stores (garment district in cambridge)

barneys when it arrives.

I'm pretty conversational with the owners of stel's They will be brining in some cool stuff for this summer/next fall; including acne.

Barney's is said to be carrying full dior homme and jill sander mini boutique along with all the usual barney's staples.

Stel's is by far the best atmosphere for shopping, though if you don't go right when they get stuff in the pickings are slim for small sizes.

ricardi is eurotrash shit with a few cool pieces mixed in, most of the people I see there I wouldn't want to glance at twice. I'm not one for street wear, so I can't really reccomend.

Also a few new boutiques, relic (owners of riccardi) market (on Newbury next to camper)

H&M downtown.. Bloomingdales in chestnut hill... Neiman Marcus and Sak's in the Pru Mall...Slim pickings indeed(at least in the boutique market)!

...and of course there is ebay... :)

Quote:

Oh Boston, How I love you, I wish you had a bit more to offer in terms of High Fashion.

I shop at:

stel's

louis boston

vintage stores (garment district in cambridge)

barneys when it arrives.

I'm pretty conversational with the owners of stel's They will be brining in some cool stuff for this summer/next fall; including acne.

Barney's is said to be carrying full dior homme and jill sander mini boutique along with all the usual barney's staples.

Stel's is by far the best atmosphere for shopping, though if you don't go right when they get stuff in the pickings are slim for small sizes.

ricardi is eurotrash shit with a few cool pieces mixed in, most of the people I see there I wouldn't want to glance at twice. I'm not one for street wear, so I can't really reccomend.

Also a few new boutiques, relic (owners of riccardi) market (on Newbury next to camper)

H&M downtown.. Bloomingdales in chestnut hill... Neiman Marcus and Sak's in the Pru Mall...Slim pickings indeed(at least in the boutique market)!

...and of course there is ebay... :)

--- Original message by allplay on Jan 23, 2006 09:47 AM

it will be interesting to see how barney's shifts the demographic of where people shop in boston. i'm sure saks, louis, and nieman are shaking in their boots. if anything, it might drive up the quality of all of those places. especially louis, which i think has declined quite a bit over the last couple years. i know people here seem to like stel's, but i think they are weak on the men's side. alan bilzerian has them beat by a longshot for menswear. i

lived a lot of places, and i don't think there's much to complain about boston's shopping. new york or la it ain't, but it's a hell of a lot better than most places. what's relic? i'm afraid to ask, actually.

Bilzerian is high-concept designer (yohji, rick owen, etc). interesting, but super expensive. great selection of shoes. you have to get buzzed in the door, and the shop is small. the staff is friendly, but it's not really a great browsing place unless you have a few $K to drop.

i think Stel's on upper newbury is closest to an ny boutique concept, in that what they stock reflects their personal taste. it's a highly edited, very cohesive collection: you could get one of everything they had and you'd have a great wardrobe. but i think it's targeted more mid-20's early 30's in age. but they are really helpful people, and i think if you were to stop by and tell them what you were after, they'd be the best people to help you find it in boston.

Louis sort of does men's streetwear on their 3rd floor. They pick a couple of newish brands, really promote them for a few years, then move on. right now i think they are doing travota and nice collective.

i wonder about barney's. i'm afraid they'll tone things down for boston, and not be all that interesting. hopefully not.

bilzerian is high, but things are reduced all the time (especially now), which is something that doesn't happen at stel's very often. i would equate bilzerian with jeffrey in chelsea. although i actually have never found anything i want at jeffrey. i like stel's, i really do. they just need to stock a whole lot more on the men's side of things.

Edited by giantreptile on Jan 24, 2006 at 08:15 AM

I just graduated from BU and realized the same thing - i have opened a streetwear/sunglass store on newbury st. with two other guys. We have a small selection and are experimenting with different brands and looks. We have wide array of sunglasses and i am focusing on clothing. But if you get a chance when your in town stop by and check us out would like to get some feedback on what brands to go with and where we should head - to get an eclectic range of clothing that no one else has at prices that won't make you feel bad when you leave. Store is I Boutique 251 newbury st www.iboutiqueboston.com - any comments on anything in store or on website welcomed - thanks

a.j.

A.J. Rich

sorry for the double post, but i just checked out laced, and it looks promising. the store's only like 2 weeks old, so they don't have too much yet, but you should definitely check it out if you're into streetwear. they have skateboards, apparel, with some brands like supreme, and a decent amount of sneakers.