PROJECT SHOW, NYC

HUNCHBAK

yes, and nothing was really interesting

Dc shoes is doing it big though. Possible the nicest full selection and most complete offering, although that might not be anything that interests ya'll

DOES WHAT I SAY INTEREST YOU?

I am available for employment,

full time, part time, & consulting, depending on the numbers

I am willing to work for major companies, brands, stores, and magazines

possibly whereever you want me to work, or what gap you need filled is up for discussion, from working directly with clothes to freelance writing

feel free to inquire about anything

contact email: [email protected]

I posted this in a Hot & Cold trend thread, and think it's relevant here:

I walked the Project Show yesterday with a friend who owns a boutique.

IMO, each booth looked the same. Same muted colors, same trends, same graphic treatments.

Christ, even the booths were the same except for ones that paid for the union labor to build a custom booth.

Anyway, I asked my friend "What makes you, as a buyer, walk into one booth and not the other?"

He was stumped. and this guy has an answer for everything. He finally called me this morning and told me

his brilliant response: "Have hot girls and hot guys in your booth." Then he offered this gem as far as designing your own line: "Be the same, but different."

So here's my hot and cold:

HOT: whatever trend that was presented in a booth at a trade show with hot girls and hot guys

COLD: whatever trend that was presented in a booth with the fat ugly guy that is bankrolling the whole operation

OR whatever trend that was presented in a booth by a company that is being self-financed by people that are considered less than hot......

REGARDLESS OF THE TREND.

http://www.TheLifeLtd.com

I agree, the whole set up this season was INCREDIBLY boring. Too plain all around, and very few exciting brands

possibly whereever you want me to work, or what gap you need filled is up for discussion, from working directly with clothes to freelance writing

^^^^ That makes sense. Our wovens biz has been really off for the last couple of years. So much so that we have cut a few lines to do more and better grade tees. It's sda but true, it's easier to sell and $60 tee than a $90 woven. At least in our market. But, it kinda makes sense, the stuff that never goes out of style for men are denim, tees, and sneakers. Period.

i had my line at project ny but i was at asr (surf, skate, snow) in san diego. and all i kept thinking was how lame it was that there were scantily clad chicks promoting lines. dont get me wrong i was looking but not accepting any bullshit flyer they were trying to hand me.

this buyer who had all this advice is going to have a grip of hot girls pretending to like him while he buys shitty stuff. bad advice.

as far as the booths who cares what they look like. how about we realize that we are there to sell clothing and buyers are there to buy it. at 7:00 when the show ends we get drunk and go to the titty bars.

i am glad that i am not luring in lame buyers with hot girls and flashy booths. i am too busy designing good shit.

i can spot the wide eyed people at the shows trying to get free shit and trying meet celebrities and models. those people are why the general public is not admitted to tradeshows. i will look for you at ptoject las vegas. maybe we can try to get fred dursts autograph.

Quote:

i had my line at project ny but i was at asr (surf, skate, snow) in san diego. and all i kept thinking was how lame it was that there were scantily clad chicks promoting lines. dont get me wrong i was looking but not accepting any bullshit flyer they were trying to hand me.

this buyer who had all this advice is going to have a grip of hot girls pretending to like him while he buys shitty stuff. bad advice.

as far as the booths who cares what they look like. how about we realize that we are there to sell clothing and buyers are there to buy it. at 7:00 when the show ends we get drunk and go to the titty bars.

i am glad that i am not luring in lame buyers with hot girls and flashy booths. i am too busy designing good shit.

i can spot the wide eyed people at the shows trying to get free shit and trying meet celebrities and models. those people are why the general public is not admitted to tradeshows. i will look for you at ptoject las vegas. maybe we can try to get fred dursts autograph.

--- Original message by ok on Jan 23, 2006 02:46 PM

thats what i;m talking about, its about what u got on the inside, not what you hang on the out side

ok, as we all know, there is 2 types of lurker on this forum, one of them is just here to look and ask for advises about clothing selection, and there is us, the type who actually run things in the clothign biz. i think we could potentially help each other grow as far as business side goes. i think we should set up a net work in order to excahge info that might benefit each other, what do you all think, i work in LA i design tops and jeans, i'm working on some raw selvege right now ( just so u might wanna know what i do). for those of you who are interested please let me know.

Those tees are nice. Dope concept and you carried them out great

I actually could see great success for them if the right places pick them up

My one question is do you know if the copyrighting is straight for them? Like is it possible to be shut down for some of the designs?

6MT, I agree with what you are saying 100%, as far as network development

just to clarify what I said, was that the atmosphere was boring. No double tee model could have even fixed that, it was just a lacking event all around

i have done everything in this industry the hard way. and done ok for myself.

i think most people on here that are in the this industry are somewhat skeptical about telling people about cut/sew, wash techniques, printing techniques, sales, etc. if i feel like someone knows what is up and has done some leg work i am down. but i dont need to feel responsible for the next 1,000 shitty tshirt companies that arise.

since there is no forum you can pm me and let me know what you are thinking.

so did i, i started working in this biz since i was 17

and no one should feel resposible for the next 1000 shitty co. they pop up, matter of fact there is like 1000 shity company pop up everyday regardless.

what i'm talking about is contractors, fabric sourcing, trim sourcing, we could exchange these infos and benefit each other, its not neccessary just one party gives out all the tips, its more of a group effort.

notice how this thread's topic is "project NY show..........." and there is less than 10 ppl contributing to this topic none stop? we are that group of lurkers i'm talking about.

Project = underwhelming/vomit-inducing

like a motherfucking car show left behind their booth bitches and atmosphere

as it has already been said, where's quality? where's innovation? where's just a good goddamn idea to work with?

i may be young, i may have a year left at school, but i'm not some jaded poseur prick.

this stuff courses through my veins, and Project left me anemic.

jjs & 6MT,

Thanks for the props on my line.

I appreciate it. I've spoken with a few laywers and they've stated that the © issue is debatable.

If a company wishes to send a cease and desist, I'm sure they can and will.

But my goal is to make a clever graphic, on a quality tee (ours are cut & sew),

that people want to wear. I want the consumer to see them and say: "That's a cool shirt."

Once they get the inside reference, that should be a bonus and lock the sale.

I want people to say "That's cool. That's different. I'd wear that."

Each graphic has some small detail(s) in it that sets it apart like the machine gun resting on the palm tree on the

Montana Realty shirt. There's also a dead guy on the beach just to the right.

Some have a significant year printed on them.

On Brooklyn Butchers, the address 217 N. 4th Street, is my grandmothers house in Williamsburg!

My goal is to have "easter eggs" in each design, so the wearer has something to look for, something to tell his friends when they ask "what's that shirt from?" or "what is that on your shirt?"

A conversation piece on a cool tee.

http://www.TheLifeLtd.com

Well for me, I felt that too many companies were knocking each other off.. (cali brands), and being in the Industry, I was there to see whats hot, but also whats NEXT. -I was impressed with a few brands namely DECENT (gotta love the cut and sewn jeans), and Creative Recreation footwear. -they have this Barneys exclusive comming out that looks sick! -why didnt I ask when they drop, I dont know, so if anyone does, please let me know.. And Staple design (gotta love them guys, cool and humble) are always good to vibe with when it comes to graphics and kicks..

It wasnt really there, but I feel the Tee game is gonna be up there with the Kicks game.

And Artful Dodger looks like a Red Monkey Bite. (no hate included)

All in all...yeah, a little too "hollywood" for me, but I enjoyed myself...getting in that club that one night when it was raining was a bitch!

I also ventured to the first time to Project this January. I found that I walked by half the booths selling the same thing. Vintage reproduction and destroyed t-shirts and heavily treated denim from LA. I mean I understand the precursors to these companies have made a killing on doing just that ie walk through Atrium, but come on lets turn it up a notch.

I think the most interesting thing at the show was the Prohibit booth which looked like they were writing serious orders to some underground majors. If anyone is familiar with Prohibits private label they know the cut and sew quality and that everything is made in Japan.

The back of the Project show was my favourite part, just ill new york independents making they're claim...

Lemar and Dauley gets my vote for best new t-shirts....

funny u point that out, as i been advising alot of companies lately and try to tell them keep the goods simple and clear, but yet they till steer into the over process direction, its really frustrating.

and the worst is when they tell me, "well, if you are correct, then how come company like monarchy and grail is making so much money? "

and it really is time like this makes me hate my job......

I was @ project for the first time and felt the same way.

Granted, I'm not a buyer, but the whole show lacked personality. I'm definately not into scantily clad girls handing out flyers, but some amount of creativity would have been nice. I've been told that previous shows were better. May this be because of the Magic buyout? Either way I've been turned off from exhibiting my line there. We'll see if Pool NY in July is any better.

Also a group for industry people would be real helpful. I've done a lot of research and tried many methods and would not mind being involved in a knowledge exchange network. IMHO that's the power of forums like this. Not idle chatter.

Afrique C'est Chic

I think a seperate trade forum would be great, I am 20 and have been at it for 2 and half years and would love to just rap industry stuff and trade tips.

We were at Agenda in San Diego and I was pretty impressed by it, it wasn't to over done and had a nice mix of buyers and brands.

Damn, I thought my post went through, but it didn't, so here goes...

Being in the Industry, I went not only looking for whats hot, but whats NEXT. -but i thought that there was a bit too much knocking off, and not enough creativity..

Artful Dodger looks like a RMC bite, even though it looks O.K. -all of those Cali brands look too similar, distressed tops and denim that looks like it all got washed at the same factory. -Except for Decent, but then i'm bias, being that i love cut and sewn jeans and I kinda design the same way... -kinda like "fuck what you want, this is what i'm giving you!!" -I gotta give props for thinking outside the box..

Its always good to talk to the cats at Staple. -about graphics, kicks, -whatever. We always hear bad talk about some industry cats, but not them...cool in my book.

Some more cool cats are them dudes from Creative Recreation...easy to approach and ask questions...LOL..

I was talking to one dude (the designer I beleive), and he was showing me some Barneys exclusive...I forgot to ask him when are they coming out!! -And they got some FIRE joints for the spring/fall..

I also heard about the buzz at the phohibit booth, but I never really liked the store, so I kept it movin'. -Another spot I heard had some shit was PRPS, but again, I kept it moving..and as someone said before, the back of the show was cool...Someone was puffin' trees back there!! -I dont smoke trees myself, but most of my time at project was spent in the back..

It was cool, and I think it'll get better...my prediction is the TEE game is gonna be up there with the sneaker game...seen alot of potential....

I think a trade forum could be possibly really beneficial.

I think that myself like many other people on this forum adhere to a fairly small population of the people that go to these shows. What I mean by that is, many of the people walking these shows run that old school mentality about bringing new lines in overselling them and moving on like t-rex's...

My motto is building relationships over time and creating a buzz based on the quality and visual aspects of products rather than what celeb rocked it to a club on saturday night. I don't think celeb hype is all bad, but to gain street cred in our industry its a shaky move....

I hope to see everyone in Vegas in a few weeks....

^^^ I agree with you about the building relationships. Plus, most of the stuff I do or want to do in the store is simply the best stuff I can find every season. Hyp helps in some aspects to sell lines, but my customers could are less if a celeb was wearing something or not. They just want unique and cool, and they define it.