SUPERgreat foreign Words

Bigyen

It's funny how words change meaning over time in related languages:

In old germanic, the word kvenon was the normal word for "woman". In the Scandinavian languages, this is still the case:

kvinna (Swedish)

kvinde (Danish)

kvinne (Norwegian)

In English, Dutch and German, the word has lost its original meaning. In English, the word now stands for the highest woman of the state : queen. In modern Dutch, the word no longer exists, but in medieval Dutch there is the word kwien, pronounced roughly the same as queen, and it means prostitute.

In old germanic, the word kvenon was the normal word for "woman". In the Scandinavian languages, this is still the case:

kvinna (Swedish)

kvinde (Danish)

kvinne (Norwegian)

In English, Dutch and German, the word has lost its original meaning. In English, the word now stands for the highest woman of the state : queen. In modern Dutch, the word no longer exists, but in medieval Dutch there is the word kwien, pronounced roughly the same as queen, and it means prostitute.

ubi sub ubi.

My name is Ben, so occasionally when I meet indians they laugh at me because of that word. I tell all my japanese friends to call my Benji (Ben means poop in japanese, boo!!!).

I like the name of the Bank in Montreal "Couche-Tard"

Coochie-tard!? HAH!

wtf, couche sounds nothing like coochie. plus how can a bank sell beer?

couche-tard aint no bank, tabaranak.

kvinna (Swedish)

kvinde (Danish)

kvinne (Norwegian)

I find this kind of etymology of words very interesting.... For example, the indo-european word for horse is "ekwos" which evolved into equus in latin, asva in sanskrit (and lithuanian, strangely), hippos in greek, and eoh in old english.

My father tells a story about using the phrase "blessed be the mother that bore you" in the wrong part of Spain in the 1960s and almost getting the crap beat out of him for it because it meant something else there :)

wtf, couche sounds nothing like coochie. plus how can a bank sell beer?

couche-tard aint no bank, tabaranak.

Huh, always thought it was a bank. That's what I get for only going into the SAQ and strip clubs when I'm there...

I find this kind of etymology of words very interesting.... For example, the indo-european word for horse is "ekwos" which evolved into equus in latin, asva in sanskrit (and lithuanian, strangely), hippos in greek, and eoh in old english.

My father tells a story about using the phrase "blessed be the mother that bore you" in the wrong part of Spain in the 1960s and almost getting the crap beat out of him for it because it meant something else there :)

Love comparative indo-european languange history!

sanskrit yoga, old english yoke, northern germanic ok, all orginally meaning "put toghether".

PIE * kwekwelo, sanskrit chakra, germanic wheel. PIE most have been hell of a language to pronounce!

i learned what cabron meant yesterday, fucker. great spanish word.

hate to kill your buzz dude, but cabron literally means goat. like 'stubborn as a goat' but in a slang/swear way i would more closely associate it as being comparable to bitch than fucker, i.e: 'that stupid bitch' would be similar to 'ese pinche cabron.'

No one actually ever pronounced PIE language. It's a theoretical language constructed on the basis of the whole of PIE theory (Kurgan hypothesis, R1a haplotype spread, etc.)

But man, if someone ever did, it truly would be a bitch to pronounce.

Im well aware of that, but as you know, the point of PIE is as a theoretically plausible language, based on the evidence at hand. So it seems likely something like it was spoken, given the validity of the IE homeland hypothesis of course. And the method is sound, roman written latin is rather similar to what you get from reconstruction from cognates in the romance daughter languanges.

But its been some years since I studied the subject (my sanskrit´s gone real rusty...), so correct me if im wrong. Or elaborate on the subject, im not familiar with r1a haplotype spread :)

Im well aware of that, but as you know, the point of PIE is as a theoretically plausible language, based on the evidence at hand. So it seems likely something like it was spoken, given the validity of the IE homeland hypothesis of course. And the method is sound, roman written latin is rather similar to what you get from reconstruction from cognates in the romance daughter languanges.

But its been some years since I studied the subject (my sanskrit´s gone real rusty...), so correct me if im wrong. Or elaborate on the subject, im not familiar with r1a haplotype spread :)

You are correct.

R1a haplogroup spread is simply put strong genetic evidence of Europeans east of the Vistula gene barrier have ancestry in common with Indians. Because it seems to correspond in age with the imagined migrations from the urheimat/kurgan people, it is seen as strong evidence of the spread of IE from these regions.

West of the Vistula barrier most people carry the R1b haplogroup, in Scandinavia I1a is also substantially present. But still, point is there is some genetic indication that this migration did in fact occur.