whats the history of tongues out

low profile

• 9 months later...

As far as I know, wearing your tongues out is a late 70s,

early 80's black style thing, maybe even concentrated only

in NYC. Your jeans had to be tight,

and your shoes had to be hi-top basketball sneakers. And,

with leg openings as small as or smaller than the current slim-fit

denim trend, you had no choice but to rock the tongues out.

The tongues out trend totally came back a few years ago here

in NYC, but dudes were wearing baggy jeans with the tongues out, and tieing

the laces around their ankles to keep their hems from dragging.

Now THAT'S retarded.

I'm all for wearing tongues out on any bulky hi top (never Converse), and not just Jordans (for esoteric reasons only Carl understands), as long as you're

wearing jeans with a small leg opening. It doesnt look sloppy if worn correctly, in fact, it looks a hell of a lot more neat and sleek than having a weird bulge near your ankles from pulling a straight or tapered hem over the sneaker.

It's not a retarded trend. The people trying to work it are just not doing it up right.

i need shell toes

its been too long for me (the 25th anniversary was my last pair)

my boy was supposed to give me an 8.5 in the adicolor competition ones that he won. He said they sold out in SOHO real quick. asshole owes me like 180 bux still though, so i haven't even mentioned it until he gives me my cash first.

It doesnt look sloppy if worn correctly, in fact, it looks a hell of a lot more neat and sleek than having a weird bulge near your ankles from pulling a straight or tapered hem over the sneaker.

well not sure if i am doing it up right ;)

and it is mainly for the reason above...i hate bulges in the bottom of jeans...unsightly...and the majority of my jeans are under 19cm hems...

sometimes i do it on purpose but mostly it would be way more effort to put the jeans over the shoes and keep them in place...hmm more effort for a awkward look...

the same applies to putting my jeans inside boots...mostly it is easier...and i have always liked it...i remember my first pair of docs being destroyed from harly ever lacing and letting my oversized 501s fall where they may...

this said i have been guilty of wearing chucks popped...often with the tops folded over as we used to do in the 80's...this is perhaps indefensible and i offer my humblest apologies :D

this said i have been guilty of wearing chucks popped...often with the tops folded over as we used to do in the 80's...this is perhaps indefensible and i offer my humblest apologies :D

hahaha, now that you mention the fold-over on a pair of chucks, I totally remember people wearing them like that when I was younger... not too many, as I'm a child of the late 80's, but I definitely remember that. it doesn't look half-bad actually, now that i think about it.

what bothers me, really, is people attempting to keep the flimsy canvas tongue of a pair of converse over the big, bulky sack of denim raining down from their ugly bootcut jeans. it is utterly futile.

hahaha, now that you mention the fold-over on a pair of chucks, I totally remember people wearing them like that when I was younger... not too many, as I'm a child of the late 80's, but I definitely remember that. it doesn't look half-bad actually, now that i think about it.

what bothers me, really, is people attempting to keep the flimsy canvas tongue of a pair of converse over the big, bulky sack of denim raining down from their ugly bootcut jeans. it is utterly futile.

That's a very good point, popped tongues really depend on the pair of jeans. I wear one row popped on my low tops because it looks nicer IMO, and with my 501s and stuff one tongue always seems to pop out unintentionally. Complete waste of time with bootlegs I agree though... tongues out just defies the whole point of bootlegs, which were made to have smooth lines over bulky shoes and boots.

fixed it for you

thanks, but no i ment shoes, the most memborable one was a guy wearing a dark red shoe and a yellow one to match exactly what he was wearing. saw it a few other times but that was most memorable

• 4 weeks later...
wrong, the worst trend ever was wearing 2 different color shoes to match your hat and your shirt.

i stumbled upon this gem while looking at the much loved complex, the 3rd guy. http://www.complex.com/index.php?task=Articles&id=485&section=110&issue=1