Distressing dark, raw or black jeans

stockholm

Bought a pair of nice jeans on sale the other day, and they are way too dark.

If anyone has any good ideas of how to make them less dark, and give them that nice, worn look that we all like - without actually wearing them day and night for two years... I'd really appreciate it. Bleach? Bang them with rocks? Whatever - tell me!

Cheers!

You can do what many finishing companies or laundreis do, and sandpaper them (or use a stiff nylon brush). The best way of doing it is to squat down, which will simulate the correct kind of creases, and lightly sand all areas where the fabric is ruffled, knees, back pockets, etc use very fine sandpaper to avoid breaking any fibres and remember to do too little rather then too much. Just washing the jeans will make them look paler, but no necessarily better

That said, if they're good jeans, I wouldn't do it. It never looks as good as genuine wear. These days, when everything on the highstreet is prewashed, dark jeans are more exclusive. Learn to love your jeans in their dark state, and the wear, when it arrives, will look 10 times better.

• 2 years later...

Hello,

I hope such a thread wasn't here before, I read through the stickies but I only found information on how to age blue denim jeans.

Now I have here a Joey Hi-Standard from April 77, and it's made from a 98% cotton 2% spandex twill.

Detail pic of the garment, a bit bright, but you get the idea:

sub2.jpg

Now I washed it about 10 times with a detergent for black clothes. They are still very black.

What I want to acchieve is a vintage look like the new Hi-Standard Fight from the Records collection:

ap012.jpg

Or the look of the Hells Bells Royal Retro:

5016124_o3.jpg

So what advise do you have? Should I use bleach or something or will this make them overall grey?

Any comments are much appreciated, thanks.

Search the forum here for DIY wear - this might include lightly sanding your jeans (do so VERY carefully, preferably with a stone or brush, search for info) .

Also try washing them with a crappier detergent, something with more additives, these might take out some of the color. Don't use bleach. And if you're going to put stones in your washer, make sure they're pumice, or something light, and don't use your mom's or u might be in trouble.