Sunrise muddyed jeans/On mud dying in general

duck sauce

• 3 weeks later...

I've been meaning to post these photos for a while now. I documented a little project I had going this spring in which I extracted indigo from Dyer's Woad (Isatis tinctoria). Woad, as you probably know, is native to northern Asia, and even possibly central Europe. It contains indigo just like true indigo, but in lower concentrations.

Dyer's woad grows throughout much of the western US as a highly invasive weed. Its seeds last for decades and are not nutritious to wildlife. It's not uncommon to see foothills completely overrun with woad within just a few years.

How did it get there, you might ask? Well, from people growing it in their gardens to use as a source for indigo! SO, THOSE OF YOU WANTING TO GROW INDIGO PLANTS, BE SURE TO GROW THEM IN A CONTROLLED ENVIRONMENT.

My project was a little bit cheater status, as I didn't go through the steps of fermenting the leaves, but I still got some interesting results:

The plant

4059114176_fc76fb7dd2_o.jpg

The fresh green leaves are what you want to harvest

4058371455_d0a91f8318_o.jpg

After about an hour of stripping leaves, I had about five gallons. This was enough for a first attempt.

4059114254_e8fda11aae_o.jpg

Next step: chopping

4058371553_198621bf64_o.jpg

The reason for chopping the leaves is so you can make a nice strong tea.

4059114336_d040b90285_o.jpg

After several hours of steeping, I strained out the leaves.

4058371625_ae39df88dd_o.jpg

Now, the trick is to get the pH of the solution up to about 9 or 10. 6.5 is too low, so...

4058371667_ebc12fe551_o.jpg

...let's add some ammonia (about a cup at a time)! You really should use non-sudsing ammonia, but I couldn't find any.

4059114448_e25720f397_o.jpg

10 is much better!

4058371731_c636a18d8b_o.jpg

Now, we need to oxygenate the solution to get the indigo to precipitate out. The suds were outta control!!

4058371783_5b3746226a_o.jpg

Starting to appear :)

4058371821_cdbd110641_o.jpg

Next, we need to let it settle out for a while. Thank god for beer-making equipment.

4059114688_09ef6c064d_o.jpg

Once it settles out, you really need to siphon off the tea, and add clean water. This needs to be done a few times until the solution is fairly clear.

4058371929_e099356d58_o.jpg

Then I transferred the indigo sludge to some pans to dry in the sun. This took about 24 hours.

4058372073_7ce1e47e51_o.jpg

Scraping the dried indigo powder off the three pans. MMMMM...

4058372115_57753eda01_o.jpg

Well, guess how much I got?

Wait for it....

About a tablespoon! :D

4058372169_d9c12d882c_o.jpg

This should be enough to dye about two pounds of cloth. I'll probably do a couple tshirts or bandanas. I'm considering trying my hand at some shibori, which is sort of a Japanese method of tie-dying, except the fabric is stitched together. I'll keep you all posted!

blog-indigo-shibori-9-patch.jpg

Hey, thanks, guys. It's a fun little project. I'll probably prepare the vat in a few weeks. I have some time off around Xmas, so maybe I'll do the dying then.

what parts of the states are this plant commonly found?

I know it's very common in the West and possibly Mid-west. There's really only one time of year that you can harvest it, which is when it's done growing and as it's flowering. The state does a ton of "weed pulls" to try to get rid of it, so if I ever wanted to have a larger project, it's possible. Not sure if it's really worth the trouble...

Really nice, planned that for like a year now. But because my garden is pretty small i do not think that i will have enough space to get enough leaves to dye anything.

Yeah, I probably harvested about 200 large plants to get that many leaves!

What is the dying process? What do you do with the powder?

With the powder, you have to make a 'vat' with the indigo powder, ground madder root, wheat bran, and soda ash. The vat needs to ferment for about a week before it can be used. It turns out that a colleague of mine is big into natural dyeing, including with indigo. She's going to send me her indigo vat recipe :)

Now, back to making my backpack...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have a red chambray shirt that I like, but I've always thought the chambray was a little too bright for me to 100% love it. So, I decided to do an experiment! I had a swatch of the same chambray that I left in a mug of tea overnight to see if it would tone down the red a little.

The original red chambray:

35548870.jpg

The tea-soaked swatch:

99993114.jpg

And the two together:

51397624.jpg

I'm pretty happy with the results. It toned down the red a little and gave the white weft a nice unbleached look. Looks like I'll pick up a box of Lipton, brew a big pot of tea, and let it sit for a day or so sometime this weekend.

While I totally see the point of an entire from scratch project and find it super entertaining, if I were to invest that much time for an uncertain outcome, as we have seen with our English friend, I'd rather buy some natural indigo extract directly and give it a swing first to see how it works and how it looks.

Here is just one source:

http://www.paradisefibers.net/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=1007

Till

^In my opinion, it's not really worth it unless you live next to an indigo plantation or a giant field of woad and have a lot of time on your hands.

• 3 weeks later...

After watching this thread for a while, I just ordered a pair of the sunrise japans. Pics when they get here after hemming.

I'll start rotating them with my RJBs asap, im excited.

edit: Maybe not. Gordon just emailed me saying that the site was wrong, and they dont have my size in stock andthey can either refund me or swap for another size. Im seeing if they will stretch at all, so maybe I can fit into the next size down since im between sizes anyways :(

• 2 weeks later...
After watching this thread for a while, I just ordered a pair of the sunrise japans. Pics when they get here after hemming.

I'll start rotating them with my RJBs asap, im excited.

edit: Maybe not. Gordon just emailed me saying that the site was wrong, and they dont have my size in stock andthey can either refund me or swap for another size. Im seeing if they will stretch at all, so maybe I can fit into the next size down since im between sizes anyways :(

Any updates on this?

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up a pair of Apolis Activism Utility Trousers around Christmas and, to make a long story short, I wound up with them in black instead of my first choice of grey. No big deal, I thought. Then I realized I'd probably never wear black pants. The trousers are well made, and a nice trim fit, so I'd prefer to actually wear them. I thought 'what the hell, let's do an experiment'.

Said pants.

pants1t.jpg

My main worry was that the thread used for the stitching would be poly, but upon taking a close look, it sure seemed to be cotton. Let's give it a try...

Discharge the dye with one part bleach to five parts water. You can see the dye coming off pretty much immediately.

pants2.jpg

Within about five minutes, they had turned orange! :D Bleaching black is always risky because you never know what you'll wind up with.

pants3y.jpg

After about ten minutes, the solution was saturated with color and the pants weren't lightening any more, so I rinsed them a few times and deactivated the bleach in a solution of one part hydrogen peroxide to ten parts water.

pants4p.jpg

After drying, the color is best described as a light adobe. The color might be a bit much for me, but try wearing them in the daylight tomorrow. I'm considering doing another bleaching to lighten them even more, and then overdye them slate grey, my preferred color. I think I really lucked out, though, with everything winding up the same color. These must have been garment dyed.

pants5.jpg

Nice, I'm not really a fan of the new color, but if you successfully dye them gray that'll be cool.

Also, I know I posted in here over the summer I think that I was going to try persimmon dyeing some stuff. I finally feel like I have enough experience to make an informative post, so that should be coming in a couple days.