What's the best Japanese 501 repro?

eastcoastrider27

It seems like there are so many 501 repros from Japan, so which one is the best?

I know it's really subjective, so let's just say, What's your favorite?

I'm leaning towards Samurai, but they are more difficult to get than Sugar Canes.

Also, which company makes jeans with the longest inseams? The longest I've seen so far is 38" on some Denimes I think.

Prefiero morir de pie que vivir siempre arrodillado

i don't own a pair (yet) but from what I have seen I think the Buzz Rickson's are nice. I would bet they would outlast and age more authentically than just about any other Japanese 501/101b repro. out there...plus you can order them from historypreservation and have them in less than a week if the waist size is a 30 or greater. the inseams are very generous. i just ordered the 42 101b and post shrinkage inseam was a 35 and it looks like the 501's have a 39" before shrinking to a 36". If you are interested I would recommend the one wash. Toyo (Sugarcane/Ricksons) gives them a warm rinse with no detergent to remove almost all the shrinkage. I wouldn't recommend wearing Sugarcanes or Ricksons before washing because they will both lose alot of length (up to 3") and the legs will twist so any crocking will undoubtably be off after your first wash.

i would recommend the Buzz Ricksons from History Preservation. I would bet these would outlast and wear more authentically than just about any other Japanese 501 repro out there and the nice thing is they are available in the US from History Preservation. I just ordered the 42 101b and the post shrinkage inseam measures 35" and with the 501's the inseam before washing is at 39" with a post shrinkage at 36" so they are plenty long...i don't think you'll find anything any longer. if you are interested i would definently buy these with the onewash. Toyo (sugarcane and ricksons) puts these in a warm rinse with no detergent. This removes most of the shrinkage (around 3" in the inseam) and causes the legs to twist so if you wear them "raw" any crocking on the back of the knee isn't going to matchup with any of the wear you'll put these jeans through after the first wash.

i would recommend the Buzz Ricksons from History Preservation. I would bet these would outlast and wear more authentically than just about any other Japanese 501 repro out there and the nice thing is they are available in the US from History Preservation. I just ordered the 42 101b and the post shrinkage inseam measures 35" and with the 501's the inseam before washing is at 39" with a post shrinkage at 36" so they are plenty long...i don't think you'll find anything any longer. if you are interested i would definently buy these with the onewash. Toyo (sugarcane and ricksons) puts these in a warm rinse with no detergent. This removes most of the shrinkage (around 3" in the inseam) and causes the legs to twist so if you wear them "raw" any crocking on the back of the knee isn't going to matchup with any of the wear you'll put these jeans through after the first wash.

Hey great suggestion on those Buzz Rickson's!

The 39" inseam is perfect!

They say they use natural indigo, which is awesome. I also love the lack of back pocket stitching.

How is the quality of the denim itself? Is it really slubby?

Do you think it would be better to order them raw and do the washing myself or do they do a good job?

I want to make sure I get the maximum amount of shrinkage with just one wash.

Finally, what size do you think I should get? I just measured waist circumference where I wear my pants, and it's 34", but I wear a 29 in Rescues. I want a pretty snug fit, so I was thinking 32" waist in the Buzz Rickson's. Will that be too tight?

I wish I could try these on before I buy them. I'm assuming you can't return them if you order them in the one wash state

Prefiero morir de pie que vivir siempre arrodillado

these run true to size on the tag and the size on the tag for both ricksons and canes is the size post shrinkage. so just measure your waist or wherever you wear your jeans and order that size. very simple. toyo knows what it's doing when it comes to denim so i would assume they know what they are doing as far as washing their denim....i trust them. i talked to the guy who handles the denim at historypreservation (charles) and he said they do a detergent free wash that should shrink them right to tag size. the denim from the one pair of ricksons i have seen in real life (levis knockoffs not sure what year) was pretty slubby...i got the 101b which will probably be similar. word of warning they only stock a size 30 waist and up and if you require anything smaller they need to be special ordered which pushes the wait time to 3 weeks or possible more if toyo doesn't have them in stock...he said they make a new batch just about every month.