valentines day dinner in nyc!

sawn-off chef

you may want to check this out before you go: http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/556131

if you feel like changing your mind, be aware that most popular restaurants are probably fully booked already though you could always try ko since they only book one week in advance.

i haven't been out for v day in years, it's basically an excuse for restaurants to rip you off. also the last time we went out, matt damon and ben affleck were on a double date at the same place and apparently i spent the entire meal staring at the insanely hot chick sitting next to ms. ready. so it's not without peril

300-500 dollar range can get you 2-3 stars michelin restaurants. You can't really go wrong with any of these places. Though i have only been to JG.

jean georges

daniel

ler bernadin

per se

Are you planning to go somewhere else after dinner? if yes, you may want to eat early. Tasting menu can some time lasts up to 2-3 hours.

Personally I like neighborhood restaurants more.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

to be honest this is all old-people food and going to one of these for v-day would betray a serious lack of imagination / insecurity complex.

also for this money i'd rather go to bouley, or del posto

anyway i'm curious to hear how the op's dinner was. i was going to make black truffle pasta from fresh but the damn things didn't come up in time so it was a fruilian barley soup and lamb rib chops which wasn't too bad

300-500 dollar range can get you 2-3 stars michelin restaurants. You can't really go wrong with any of these places. Though i have only been to JG.

jean georges

daniel

ler bernadin

per se

Are you planning to go somewhere else after dinner? if yes, you may want to eat early. Tasting menu can some time lasts up to 2-3 hours.

Personally I like neighborhood restaurants more.

dinner went great, elizabeth's food was amazing, though their portions of the pumpkin ravioli were meager at best. my girlfriend was still starving so i gave her the fries from my burger which was amazing. definitely a good place, doesn't card good drinks. overall a good v-day though some plans fell through. in retrospect making her dinner would've been better and i'd have a hundred dollars for jawns. oh well, memories are worth every penny correct?

ko wasn't that bad but i'm not sure if they've sussed out how to not let the small space of the hot area of the kitchen be a limitation (from my memory there was basically one course that wasn't either cold or a reheat job when i went).

i do like that you don't have to book your meal months in advance, very refreshing. of course i scored a reservation for the exact day and time i wanted the first time i tried so i may be biased there.

very surprised if they got a star since the service component is acknowledged as being minimal and that's a big deal to those guys

scott.m - this is an open internet forum, probably about as public as you can get