「就職氷河期」再び…

djrajio

Is this something to do with i-bankers getting made redundant and being unable to find work?

djrajio you used to work for Lehman's, right? I guess you haven't got a job yet. I heard you were looking into quanty hedge funds? Seems like momentum/futures/global macro quant strategies are the only ones doing well at the mo (guys like AIG and Brevan Howard). I work for an EMN quant fund and I feel like the whole sector got raped pretty hard last year; a lot of funds folded. I guess this is true across the board. Once the dust clears, the survivors will start to rebuild and begin hiring again. Keep your pecker up.

Keep your pecker up.

Thanks man. The last three-four months have been a true test of will and perserverence. I originally had an informal offer with a hedge fund here in Tokyo for three months but today found out they were recalling their offer. The rejection has been quite painful largely because I was banking on the experience to give me a fresh start...

That sounds like a pretty depressing experience.

The job market must be pretty tough at the mo with all the layoffs. Most of those who get got rid of, assuming the whole firm doesn't go tits up, tend to be the dead wood/old people who usually piss off and retire. Nonetheless there are still going to be more talented people competing for fewer jobs. My recruiter mate does however assure me that hedgies are hiring, at least in London.

I was in a similar situation to you back in 2005. I wanted to quit a PhD after 1 year and get into finance. People were hesitant to give me a chance 'cos of the PhD thing, despite having a shit hot degree. I was applying for jobs through all sorts of avenues: personal contacts, uni recruitment websites, lists of hedge funds dredged up from the internet etc etc. Must have done 30-40 applications, maybe 15 interviews at 10 different firms. In the end I found that a decent recruiter was the best bet, as they seem to have access to the most high quality roles. You've got to pick a good one, though, as a high proportion are shitheads. I find the good ones treat you more as an individual than as a commodity. They'll still screw you on the salary negotiations though: it's in their interests to get people to settle for a lower salary to minimise the chance of the deal falling through. Werr that was a long post. Hope it helps!