What car would you purchase with 15 grand?

I've been saving hard and have about 15 grand to spend on a new car. It has been close to a decade since I go car shopping and at that time I had very different goals: I wanted a pussy magnet essentially.

Now I have practical considerations...

Gas mileage is a priority as is dependability. If I can manage, however, to get something fun to drive as well that would be great.

Also I should note, 15 grand is what I can spend and still have enough so that I don't have to work my first year of grad school, which has been my main goal of saving money, but if I can manage to spend less than that then that's even better.

Am I making the matter much more difficult than it needs to be? Is some 4 cylinder Honda the obvious answer?

I realize sufu isn't the best place for this query, but I am curious as to what fellow sufu'ers would buy if in my shoes.

I've been saving hard and have about 15 grand to spend on a new car. It has been close to a decade since I go car shopping and at that time I had very different goals: I wanted a pussy magnet essentially.

Now I have practical considerations...

Gas mileage is a priority as is dependability. If I can manage, however, to get something fun to drive as well that would be great.

Also I should note, 15 grand is what I can spend and still have enough so that I don't have to work my first year of grad school, which has been my main goal of saving money, but if I can manage to spend less than that then that's even better.

Am I making the matter much more difficult than it needs to be? Is some 4 cylinder Honda the obvious answer?

I realize sufu isn't the best place for this query, but I am curious as to what fellow sufu'ers would buy if in my shoes.

If you want to get something new, a no-frills Honda Civic seems like where the action is. I have a 2003 Accord that I bought new off the lot; I've driven more than 100,000 miles on it, and it still runs smoothly. No problems whatsoever.

P.S. I'm no auto expert; just relating personal experience. Happy New Year!

From everything I've read and been told by friends who work in the auto industry, Honda, Toyota, and to a slightly lesser extent Nissan make the most efficient, reliable cars. The Honda Civic and the Toyota Corolla both seem like excellent choices; they are dependable, stylish enough, get good gas mileage, and have enough room for you to cart some of your stupid friends around.

Good luck, friend!

acura rsx type s or s2k..

depends on how bad enough dude u are..

are wrxs', is300s', a4s' and 3series' in that price range? i dunno..

you can find plenty of used e36 and e46 for that range, but i know alot of people who've had bad experiences with used BMW's...

my '04 TL-S is going strong after 130,000. I see them sell for like 10k to 15k depending on history. replacing this summer though :]

From everything I've read and been told by friends who work in the auto industry, Honda, Toyota, and to a slightly lesser extent Nissan make the most efficient, reliable cars. The Honda Civic and the Toyota Corolla both seem like excellent choices; they are dependable, stylish enough, get good gas mileage, and have enough room for you to cart some of your stupid friends around.

Good luck, friend!

Thanks man! And yeah, that's what I need someone with insight. I might very well end up going the Civic route.

tls are nice lookin cars

but heavy fwd torque steer:(

but who cares, who u racin anyway..

how bout a cadillac and throw some d's on it

depends on wut u like..

fuck im sure u can kopp a 300c/charger used?

just yellin options..

Actually D's are sounding pretty good right about now. fUcK pRuDenCe!

But seriously thanks for the suggestions, keep em coming.

I don't know if you've already googled this or not, but

http://carfamily.wordpress.com/2007/03/30/best-cars-under-15000-mileage-and-room/

http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/list/top10/104546/article.html

The first one is kind of wordy, but provides a pretty thorough explanation to back up its ratings.

Both seem to be consistent with the "get a new civic" consensus though. Hope this helps.

get a porsche 944 for like 5k. good on gas and its a porsche! or u can get a 968 for around 15k they look better and not everyone has one. if it breaks tho itll b a expensive to fix, but imagine all the pussy ull get.

i got an BMW e36 for 8 grand, gets more respect than any 08 jap crap car. If i were you I'd get a e36 BMW M3 for under 10 grands. If you got swagger than get a e30 M3 (these may cost a little more than your budget due to their rarity nowadays), depends if you can handle gods chariot or not ;)

BTW all BMW's are pussy magnets

i got an BMW e36 for 8 grand, gets more respect than any 08 jap crap car. If i were you I'd get a e36 BMW M3 for under 10 grands. If you got swagger than get a e30 M3 (these may cost a little more than your budget due to their rarity nowadays), depends if you can handle gods chariot or not ;)

it's almost like you're parodying BMW owners with this post.

extra props for working in "gods chariot" and "pussy magnet" on consecutive sentences.

you are the reason people hate people that drive BMW. driving an e36 3 series is not a pussy magnet. Hell, you probably have that one with the hubcaps and think your "swagger" pulls it off but it just makes you come off as some guy driving a car because of how he thinks it makes him look.

from his post it does not sound as if he is trying to buy a random ass used car that is going to cost money every few months because something is gonna come up. Dont buy a used European car unless you want to take care of it. i have an a4 and that shit has something come up all the time that costs money to deal with. parts cost alot, labor costs a lot. if I could do it over i would have a civic or something.

bottom line. Buy a fucking honda fit or something and you will not have to worry about your car. it will be under warranty, get good fuel millage, and just be generally worry free. Better yet, buy a year old used civic so you dont get fucked by the dealer fees and what not.