Bryn Jones AKA muslimgauze appreciation thread

blm14

title.jpg

I love muslimgauze. For those of you not familiar with his work, Bryn made music from 1982 (as EG Oblique Graph) until his untimely death from a rare blood disorder in 1999.

Although his music is somewhat genre-defying, he has produced Dub, Hip Hop, Industrial, Noise, Ambient, Orchestral, and even 120bpm+ house-like material, all with a middle-eastern flavor. The man's politics were a little extreme, but boy did he make good sounds.

To date, almost 200 specific releases are attributed to him, not counting compilation appearances. Full discography here: http://www.muslimgauze.org/disc.html. His releases are frequently limited editions of 3000 or less and are known for really unique packaging: 9-cd box set in a towering wooden display, 5-LP compilations with each LP a different color, CDs with embossed cases and arab coins in the jewel cases, handmade paper sleeves, silk liners, etc.

If anyone's interested I can post the names of titles I personally own, and I'm always in the market for more.

Anyone else familiar with/a fan of?

One particularly nice example, the Syrinjia 2xCD release. Available 7 different colors of silk sleeves:

This is the white version

R-302034-1171719296.jpeg

R-302034-1209031221.jpeg

One hand-made paper insert per CD:

R-302034-1167398191.jpeg

R-302034-1167398228.jpeg

R-302034-1167398248.jpeg

R-302034-1167398262.jpeg

The cardboard sleeves the CDs come in:

R-302034-1167398279.jpeg

R-302034-1167398294.jpeg

And finally the CDs themselves:

R-302034-1167398312.jpeg

R-302034-1167398327.jpeg

I just recently discovered Muslimgauze and instantly became a fan.

I've just sort of downloaded what I've found thus far, and I'm enjoying United States of Islam quite a bit. I'm really excited to discover more, it'd be interested in listening to anything you'd recommend!

• 3 weeks later...

Muslimgauze is awesome. If you're into his stuff you should definitely check out Appleblim and Shackleton - both definitely take influence from him. If anyone wants to trade/ fileshare PM me.

Whow, i never thought i'd see this thread on Sufu..

i've got about 20 of this CDs and about 10 or 15 more releases on vinyl..

Including a few t-shirts..

I'm a huge fan, and have been since the mid 90's..

pm via positive rep for link to huge assortment to his shit and other mp3 goodies.

I have only heard maybe less than a fifth of his recordings and whatever John Peel used to play on the radio

but does it not get difficult to find the pearls among the prodigious output?

some didn't hit me at all

any opinion on fave album?

My favorite album is probably the Blue Mosque, but I like just about everything.

I have probably 60-70% of his stuff on MP3 but I'm really looking for more actual physical pieces. I'm still praying for a copy of tandoori dog for less than $150...

What's everyone else's faves?