Clothing for The Great Outdoors

? I don't know whether to sense a great bit of frustration in that comment or not. Now, assuming it's not, and assuming you'd still want some help and are not trying to be blatantly contentious to a response that was perfectly honest, and assuming you think that posting one picture of a tag is enough for anyone to determine whether your garment is "fake" or not, maybe try cross-referencing with these Sierra Designs I found on a quick search through rakuten.

If that doesn't help, maybe more pictures and a better description of what you have would.

http://item.rakuten.co.jp/backdrop/20394001/

http://item.rakuten.co.jp/backdrop/20394002/

http://item.rakuten.co.jp/backdrop/10077005/

http://item.rakuten.co.jp/backdrop/20204024/

http://item.rakuten.co.jp/hinoya/c/0000000606/

http://en.item.rakuten.com/bas-clothing/501_72_8001/

8001_1.jpg

Cross-referencing against modern jackets wont help, I've done that. This is a "vintage" jacket. This is the point of only needing the tag. It is a 60/40, but is it a Sierra Designs parka with an old style logo, a one-off logo, a logo a manufacturer licensed to produce the coat for Sierra Designs out of the US used or a blatant fake/knock off?

I appreciate the help.

Maybe you can contact the guy that runs the blog ready4thehouse... He is a Sierra Designs geek. He could maybe be able to help you out.

My best guess is that it is a rather new one. I heard rumours that SD produced some 60/40s for the Canadian market not too long ago. But I am just guessing. You could ask some of the experts that you might find on some hiking/outdoor forums across the web.

Couple of weeks ago I saw a mountain parka that Sierra Designs apparantly made for The North Face a long time ago. I am still wondering if it was fake or if there actually was a link between the two. Pretty cool collaboration if it is genuine.

@ Vamks: You should have a look at some parkas that were made in Norway some time ago. They are called Fjellanorakken or maybe Fjell Anorakken (I would have to check with the one I have).

I have found one for my girlfriend and one for myself in a thrift store a couple of years ago, and they are really good.

The fabric is pretty similar to the ones made by Fjällräven, but the details are nicer in my opionion. Mine has fox fur around the hood which is a great deatail for instance. Wether the "Fjellanorak" is still produced, I don't know, but I think you could easily find it on the bay or maybe somewhere else.

Thanks for that. Funnily enough, I just got an email back from the people at Sierra Designs. It is apparently a logo from 20 years ago. Seems a step outside their normal logo's development over time to me. Their logo in '65 has more relevance to the current one, than the one in my picture.

I'm off back to the shop to get myself a bargain.

Fair enough, the blogger from "ready for the house" has had his hands on some vintage sierra design pieces. I think he's worth a look...

http://ready4thehouse.blogspot.com/2009/01/rbredsblues0109.html

http://ready4thehouse.blogspot.com/2009/05/sd-fmp.html

http://ready4thehouse.blogspot.com/2008/12/sdmp.html

I believe this looks like yours? He's excellent at responding to emails so it wouldn't hurt shooting him one.

sdthree.jpg

Maybe you can contact the guy that runs the blog ready4thehouse... He is a Sierra Designs geek. He could maybe be able to help you out.

My best guess is that it is a rather new one. I heard rumours that SD produced some 60/40s for the Canadian market not too long ago. But I am just guessing. You could ask some of the experts that you might find on some hiking/outdoor forums across the web.

Couple of weeks ago I saw a mountain parka that Sierra Designs apparantly made for The North Face a long time ago. I am still wondering if it was fake or if there actually was a link between the two. Pretty cool collaboration if it is genuine.

@ Vamks: You should have a look at some parkas that were made in Norway some time ago. They are called Fjellanorakken or maybe Fjell Anorakken (I would have to check with the one I have).

I have found one for my girlfriend and one for myself in a thrift store a couple of years ago, and they are really good.

The fabric is pretty similar to the ones made by Fjällräven, but the details are nicer in my opionion. Mine has fox fur around the hood which is a great deatail for instance. Wether the "Fjellanorak" is still produced, I don't know, but I think you could easily find it on the bay or maybe somewhere else.

Ah, thanks for that, i'll look into it.. i wish i could speak norwegian though, or at least read it!

Thanks for that. Funnily enough, I just got an email back from the people at Sierra Designs. It is apparently a logo from 20 years ago. Seems a step outside their normal logo's development over time to me. Their logo in '65 has more relevance to the current one, than the one in my picture.

I'm off back to the shop to get myself a bargain.

AlanC posted a sweater on styleforum with that SD logo. Awesome that SD customer service got back to you with a solid answer quickly.

AlanC posted a sweater on styleforum with that SD logo. Awesome that SD customer service got back to you with a solid answer quickly.

Wasn't too quick, hence why I posted on here, but the lovely Stephanie at SD was very helpful ;)

Its a testament to their quality that this parka is still in mint condition after 20 years.

Sierra Designs have produced a number of tags and variations on tags over the years. I would say (though maybe with some hesitation given the current climate on ebay) that we don't yet need to fear bootleg vintage SD parka's on ebay.

I feel like that triangular logo tag below the standard 60/40 cloth label came about in the mid 80's and continued on into the early 90's as I have seen in on a number of ugly malaysia made track top looking things that can be found in thrift stores.

On the Anorak tip, did I ever post pics of this class 5 joint I scooped of Shoreman on ebay a while back?

If so I apologize. I've yet to see a vintage one quite as nice in person, or on ebay for that matter.

Oh. My. Word.

That's incredible, the exact aesthetic I believe Mountain Research tried to get, cept theirs is $400 and I'm damned sure yours wasn't. Great find my man.

On the Anorak tip, did I ever post pics of this class 5 joint I scooped of Shoreman on ebay a while back?

If so I apologize. I've yet to see a vintage one quite as nice in person, or on ebay for that matter.

Oh yeah that is by far one of the finest looking anoraks I've ever seen and exactly what I've been looking for <immediately starts a google search for "class 5">

I feel like that triangular logo tag below the standard 60/40 cloth label came about in the mid 80's and continued on into the early 90's as I have seen in on a number of ugly malaysia made track top looking things that can be found in thrift stores.

Exactly. I started watching that tan SD 60/40 on the 'BAY...bearing the Triangular mark of the beast. Something was fishy when a SD 60/40 that is in mint condition isn't near the $50-80 mark with 2-3 days left...there weren't any bids (starting at $9.99).

I then noticed that the same Triangular logo was on the flap of the lower left pocket... and soon came to realize that it was much in the vein of that 80's-90's style of OD-branding, to which most of these companies distastefully sacrificed their good ol' "clean" aesthetic.

Fuck you ugly whore logo.

A Sierra Designs 60/40 for $50 and change on eBAY...THIS YEAR??!! Someone got GOTTED.

Wordup...the Class 5 destroys everything. Dope color combo that IS reversible. Extra Pockets. Freshest kangaroo pocket in life. All of the details.

Truth be told, he wasn't the only one watching that auction...but that's my mans and 'em...if it was anyone else on here, you'd be dead on that. DEADED.

Not like we didn't have a convo or two about that very piece (how lucky heads were to have searched "Class 5" in eBAY that week).

oh wow - no comparison between tan and blue sides, that tan is just too ill.

like how you're pimping out that black fleece hangar too. you gotta post up some of your collection one day, i'm sure there's some crazy shit lined up.

That's Shoreman coming through with the black fleece jawn actually. These are his flicks from the sale.

Both sides are ill, but in real life, the blue pops off pretty hard without being overkill. I have got numerous comments on both this and my new fracap's from people who don't care about mountains or clothes so someone's doing something right.

Sadly, there is not that much "crazy shit lined up" in my collection, but one day, when i get a digital camera I will begin to catalogue it. Some of the more interesting pieces are not clothes, but rather chouinard big wall hammers, telescopic tin cups, OG Sierra Cups, Colorful Slings, etc....

Oh. My. Word.

That's incredible, the exact aesthetic I believe Mountain Research tried to get, cept theirs is $400 and I'm damned sure yours wasn't. Great find my man.

Yeah, you know how those dudes (RESEARCH GROUP), Workers, S2W8, etc... gather old garments as inspiration for current collections? I feel like this would be right up their alley, mostly because I haven't seen anything quite like it, plus it's fit and pocket/zipper detailing is strangely modern.

You guys shouldn't have slept on my auction! RBW got a pretty good deal, I think--I hope he gets more use out of it than I did. Class 5 gear generally still slips under the radar.

Fifty bones BIN I believe! I really appreciate you not trying to rape fools with the Buy it Now price. I been using it a lot lately, actually. It's a little thicker/softer than 60/40 or nylon shells, so it has some warmth to it.

The only problem is it;s a bit of a bitch to get on and off. A qaurter side zip would be helpful and dope looking, but that's a small price to pay for it's great fit and handsome looks.

Yeah, you know how those dudes (RESEARCH GROUP), Workers, S2W8, etc... gather old garments as inspiration for current collections? I feel like this would be right up their alley, mostly because I haven't seen anything quite like it, plus it's fit and pocket/zipper detailing is strangely modern.

Yeah. I've been on a mad search for a proper anorak, since I really do need it. I'm currently just literally sitting and waiting for Edinburgh to start pissing on me while I frantically look for a decent anorak. Hopefully I can come up with something with the same aesthetic as yours.

The thing is, the fjallraven ones are quite pricey, i might want an arcteryx but i can't really get a hold of them here, ebay is an option but i don't really want to wait it out....

tough situation, thanks for the inspiration though.

Just some anorak's you might consider vamks. I'm not sure if they're available in Edinburgh but come to scandinavia and they're everywhere.

Lundhags (65/35 polyester / organic cotton)

1112290.jpg

Norröna

P_0118072214.png

Norröna you can get also in Gore-tex pro shell version but it's about 800$... Those both are under 200€.

I have that Norröna but in anorak style called "Arktis Amundsen anorak" but seems that they don't make them anymore. I can personally vouch for that anorak and it's "arktis cotton" (it was used in first solo expedition in the south pole)... :)

Really impressed with this collection.

http://maidennoir.com/store/all/

While not trying to disrespect your taste, i have to say that from where I'm standing, this appears to be some of the most recycled, unoriginal looking stuff I have seen in a while.

It honestly looks like they pulled a couple flicks off anoutcommunemeta (or shit, even this thread for that matter) and sent them straight off to the pattern maker. I actively encourage the support of USA based purveyors of quality 70's/80's influenced outdoors wear (see my endorsements of CDW and Altadena Works as proof) but what we don't need is people jacking tasteful japanese interpretations of said garments wholesale, and trying to foist them on the street wear market.

This is more of a rant than I meant it to be, but put simply, it doesn't look like their design team put in the work on either the research or production ends.

A bit of quilted barbour+Obligatory mounntain parka+BoOish shirts does not=that new hot fire, it equals hot garbage.

(On the plus side, glad this thread is moving again)