Clothing for The Great Outdoors

I actually really dislike the new White Mountaineering offerings. Not down with this whole sub trend of "mountain Dandies". Also interesting to see that anoutcommunemeta stopped stocking them.

I'm pretty much in love with the Altadena Works packs. Plan on scooping one within the next month or so i think. If the quality is as good as it looks, these beat most any of the Japan-issue packs of recent years. It's nice to see (and support) folks in the USA who are putting out a quality product inspired by the clean lines and functionality of 1970's outdoor gear.

Sometimes I wish i could just turn this thread into a store. Would be great with everyone's contributions.

I been absent as of late, but now that the temp is headed sub-70's, I should be around the way on the interwebs a bit more.

Carry on!

Just recently switched from a messenger back to a backpack for work and the Altadena bags do indeed hit all the right spots--good design, good leather, etc. Would have to lie about the price to the ol' lady, though.

Took a flyer on a jp-issue sierra designs 60/40 down vest. Hoping thing fits... (Note--site photo, not me)

img55773737-1.jpg

I've been holding out in search of a gem--good condition vintage Sierra Designs pack--but the two I've seen, pics below, went for $300 and $150, respectively. Not to mention they are probably actually too small for my daily use, and there is no real main compartment in a lot of vintage hiking packs - there are separate lower and upper levels.

Picture1-1.png

Picture2.png

These things are still sick, but for the money Altadena is looking really good.

GNAR-

I've been adresssing that issue by searching for kind of "off-brand" packs from the same era. The term off-brand is a little misleading, but you know what I mean: Wilderness experience, Class 5, Kelty, etc...

Sommetimes you get lucky with those guys, but with SD...forget about it. The market has spoken and those packs are headed towards Chouinard heights soon if people keep paying the big bucks.

I'm gonna wait for the black/oak rucksack restock at Altadena, and then make up my mind.

I actually really dislike the new White Mountaineering offerings. Not down with this whole sub trend of "mountain Dandies". Also interesting to see that anoutcommunemeta stopped stocking them.

I don't even mind it so much but it seems this season especially a lot of the brands that have been showing up in here (especially the japanese ones) went way too far down that path. Stuff would get you laughed at no matter where you wore it - clothes that look silly on the trail and on the street don't make sense.

Remember this? I just ordered a pair of cords from them. These but in dark brown, and sized for a more relaxed fit.

The fabric is insane, truely shows that cord was once a workwear fabric. Super heavy and stiff, if you can imagine a cord version of the carhartt cotton duck. I belive they should soften up with wear though, and prove to be the perfect winter pants.

I agree 100%! More exposure of European workwear is really needed, and it would be great to have some eu stores like that, that doesnt only go the americana-rockabilly route.

To the point, heres a french brand from the 50s, that still manufacture France. Looks really nice to me, since they provide classic cuts in moleskin and cord. I have yet to get any items though.

http://www.lelaboureur.se/main.php this is a swedish site, not sure if an english or french webstore exist.

02-500_large1.jpg

linnjacka_large1.jpg

I need a hooded rain shell parka thing. I checked a bunch of outerwear places today but al the modern stuff is shit and the people there don't understand when you say you want something attractive. the blue Fjallraven Greenland is the best but unavailable and an old 60/40 is pretty hard to track down. any other suggestions? I only want to spend like 2-250 at the most.

fj_greenlb.JPG

I need a hooded rain shell parka thing. I checked a bunch of outerwear places today but al the modern stuff is shit and the people there don't understand when you say you want something attractive. the blue Fjallraven Greenland is the best but unavailable and an old 60/40 is pretty hard to track down. any other suggestions? I only want to spend like 2-250 at the most.

fj_greenlb.JPG

http://www.albamclothing.com/product.aspx?productid=218

436HillWalkerBurntOrange1.jpg

$287.

Quick one: need a pair of gloves for the winter. Honestly just a pair of navy wool gloves would be fine - the less detailing the better. I have sizing issues (i.e. i'm probably a size small while most gloves are like medium/large one size-fits-all things) so that's the difficult. The navy acrylic blend AA ones fit well since they're supposedly unisex but obviously aren't especially warm. I'd prefer not to spend more then like $30. Any suggestions?