japanese denim novice

sneakeraddict

hi all - newbie here.

Wanting to get some Japanese denims - thinking Edwins or Sugar Canes. 36 waist

Trouble is I'm very tall - so I need an inside leg with a final result of 36" inches (e.g. will not shrink past 36")

Is this possible?

Ideally I dont really want to be 'fanatical' about how I wash them either - I just want to throw them in the washing machine with everything else and not worry about them.

Just after a cool pair of Japanese jeans really in nice heavy denim that will fade nicely. Don't like ball-breaker slim though!!

Any tips on brands / advice etc greatly appreciated.

Cheers

J

i'm your same size, and have not had a problem. 36 is often the highest waist size on the most desirable brands, but you're out of luck if you are closer to a 38. raw, and most high end names, tend to run 38 in length, so you're fine on length too. some are even more. like my dior hommes must be friggin' 42 in length or something, and they are a roomy 36. sugar canes will be perfect for you, although i've had a problem with severly twisted seams (irregulars maybe?). the best thing is to try them on; it is very risky to blindy order them online without having an idea of fit. some 36 will not fit you if you are a heavy 36. like rogan's 36 is somewhere closer to a 35. same with prada/jil sander/helmut lang. i guess that must be because an italian 52 is really a 35.

With 36-inch waist, leg length is not usually a problem, even on Japanese jeans. It's when you get down to 30 or 32 inch waists that some brands tend to make the leg lengths shorter to compensate -- difficult for people who are tall and slim.

I would suggest Samurai. All their jeans, of whatever waist size, come in a true 36-inch length. And there are a variety of styles in different weights, up to 19oz. I don't think throwing them in the washing machine is a particular problem, as long as you turn them inside out, use a cool setting, take it easy on the detergent, and don't put them in the dryer.

Of course, you will have to use an onshore bid-service to obtain them (assuming you don't live in Japan), since they don't export.

For your first pair of quality jeans, you may just want to consider LVC (Levi's Vintage Collection) instead. The Cone Mills denim is not to be sneezed at, although some people on this forum have said they have trouble getting decent fades from them. The great advantage is you get to try them on first...

Why's it got to be Japanese denim?

Best to go with something you can try on. Wherever you are find a store with a wide range of differentbrands and give them all a go until you find something you like. I'd go with LVC's - Not Japanese, but readily available with a wide range of different cuts and very good quality, or PRPS if you can find them which are made in Japan and come pre-shrunk. Bear in mind though that you don't want to "just chuck them in the washing machine with everything else" though 'cos 1) everything else will turn up blue and 2) you'll have missed the entire point - you have to have a lot of patience and a bit of imagination if you want them to realise anytyhing close to their potential. If that's too much for you then think again and go buy a distressed pair of denims on the highstreet.

Cheers everyone for your suggestions...

I'm a 'slim' 36 if that makes sense. Just buy it because I dont like to feel any ball-squashing at all (sorry if any ladies are reading). At the same time, I'm fed up of low riders.

(The only reason I asked for Japanese brands was because I've tons of Levis and Carhartt and getting a bit bored of their ubiquitousness)

FAO: giantreptile

Where did you get your Sugar Canes from? and did you get the "pre-worn" styles, or did you buy the unwashed / dry styles and then allow for shrinkage?

Same goes for the bloke who mentioned Samurai?

I took a look at Yahoo Japan auction site, but I cant work out what's what at all! Ebay Japan (bidders.co.jp) is even worse!

Where to find them? I work in London so that's also an option if anyone could recommend a retail store instead of online.

Thanks for everyone's responses

J.E