question about Jay Z and color swatches, young jeezy

telluride11

i was listening to jeezys go crazy where he goes "my favorite hue is jay z blue". i think i read in wallpaper (i dont remember) that jay z made up some shade of blue and copyrighted it, like that font guy?

can anyone help me, i know its a long shot but w/e

i started something

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^^ Yeah, no, you might be right about Y'ves Klein, but you clearly do not know the facts about Jay-Z.......... In the recent Rolling Stone article on Jay, he states that he does indeed have his own patented shade of blue (don't ask the legal basis for this, I have no idea) and that he hopes to work with companies like Mercedes, etc. to use it on their products whilst receiving royalties.....strange but interesting.

quote from Rolling Stone article:

"Next summer, Jay will unveil an entirely new way of marketing himself: a color called Jay-Z Blue. "Jay-Z Blue is a liscense for corporations to get Jay-Z in the building," says Steve Stoute, the head of Translation Consultation and Brand Imaging, who is working with Jay on the project. "Cars, laptops, lots of different things. I got deals lined up like you don't understand..."'

...what more can I say?

I'm so self-conscious...

Jay is killin it on the business tip... but Camron already was trademarking his own color like two years ago. Of course it was purple, but the best was the quote with the article something like, " I am in the lab working with a large team of Swedish scientists to come up with a new part of the purple spectrum" WHAT?

sounds like an intelligent move to me

it simply adds a greater identity to everything Jay-Z doesin collaboration with all the brands vying for his collaboration. It makes the callobaoration even more of a two way street for Jay-Z, because as many are trying to follow what he does, or associate themselves with things he assocaites himself with, they wil be drawn to everything he's stamped with his color. You'll have people getting gassed up to buy the ipod, mercedez and blue faced AP watch in Jay-Z's custom color.

It just leads to continued marketability like the Louis Vuitton Monogram, or mercedez patented Silver

DOES WHAT I SAY INTEREST YOU?

I am available for employment,

full time, part time, & consulting, depending on the numbers

I am willing to work for major companies, brands, stores, and magazines

possibly whereever you want me to work, or what gap you need filled is up for discussion, from working directly with clothes to freelance writing

feel free to inquire about anything

contact email: [email protected]

I dunno if its biting persay, because cam'ron did it with no real business effect. i severaly doubt Jay-Z will literally wear one color for 52 weeks straight like cam, Jay's effort is based around developnig a brand and an identifiable brand image, not just looking different for TV

possibly whereever you want me to work, or what gap you need filled is up for discussion, from working directly with clothes to freelance writing

laugh.gif

thats really smart in the way, but if i was a car maker i wouldn't use a jayz blue....especially if i was Mercedes Benz or BMW, that would lower my quality. and plus i won't just sell cars to rappers, i like to sell cars all over the world.

and if i do like the color that much i'll have all my designer to come up with a different blue that looks like it

....after all i go by pantone

Ya'll are funny man

Jay-Z did just do an album with linkin park. He rereleased a prerecorded album with new instramentation with linkin park and wound up selling an additional million copies. By diong next to no new work he collected his portion of the royalties on the album, hard to see selling the same thing twice for large money as anything clownish

Jay-Z is a sucker? I'd love to know how

6MT I dunno if you understand where other brands are already placeing JayZ within the world. Audemars Piguet, who sells watchs costing up to 1 million have already collaborated with Jay-Z. Maybach invited him to the incredibly high profile release ceremonies and promotional polo games for the Maybach's minitial release. you have companies from high and low TRYING to work with so I think the whole "bring down the value of the car company statement" just sounds silly". Companies are using his name to sell wrist watches that rival cars in price and Mercedez can't use him? It just doesn't sound right

Edited by jjs home on Dec 19, 2005 at 01:47 PM

Edited by jjs home on Dec 19, 2005 at 01:54 PM

Quote:

Ya'll are funny man

Jay-Z did just do an album with linkin park. He rereleased a prerecorded album with new instramentation with linkin park and wound up selling an additional million copies. By diong next to no new work he collected his portion of the royalties on the album, hard to see selling the same thing twice for large money as anything clownish

Jay-Z is a sucker? I'd love to know how

6MT I dunno if you understand where other brands are already placeing JayZ within the world. Audemars Piguet, who sells watchs costing up to 1 million have already collaborated with Jay-Z. Maybach invited him to the incredibly high profile release ceremonies and promotional polo games for the Maybach's minitial release. you have companies from high and low TRYING to work with so I think the whole "bring down the value of the car company statement" just sounds silly". Companies are using his name to sell wrist watches that rival cars in price and Mercedez can't use him? It just doesn't sound right

--- Original message by jjs home on Dec 19, 2005 01:46 PM

i understand what u mean, maybach is mercedez benz, and by what i mean is that i dont think mercedez benz would actually pay to use "Jay-z Blue" and i know how a company invite rich folks to private party, i been to those kind of fuction before, the thing with the watch and maybach is only a sales pitch to Jay, i mean if i was another hot shot rapper i wouldn't want anything Jay have, if he could have his own color and signature watch why can't i? and thats a mentality thing. and if say jay does collabo with car manufacture, the amont of Jay-z blue sells probaly won't make up enough sales inorder to call the collaboration profitable, imean it would work only when u use the color to market a lower end of product, since more ppl could affort it, and from a co. side it make more sense, than again, if i was going to buy a a million dollar product, i would like mine to be one of the kind.

and to add another fact to this topic, just because when a product MSRP is one million doesn't mean it worth one million, manufacture could price it how ever they want, its sad to see how the majority of the public worship celebrity and rying so hard to follow their life style, and think what ever is they do is the step must be follow, do hermes berkin bag really worth 8k-10k? u tell me.......do maybach really worth that much? its a extended version of the merc S class, do escalade really cost that much? when the chasis is the same as any other GM suv.....

Quote: understand what u mean, maybach is mercedez benz, and by what i mean is that i dont think mercedez benz would actually pay to use "Jay-z Blue" and i know how a company invite rich folks to private party, i been to those kind of fuction before, the thing with the watch and maybach is only a sales pitch to Jay, i mean if i was another hot shot rapper i wouldn't want anything Jay have, if he could have his own color and signature watch why can't i? and thats a mentality thing. and if say jay does collabo with car manufacture, the amont of Jay-z blue sells probaly won't make up enough sales inorder to call the collaboration profitable, imean it would work only when u use the color to market a lower end of product, since more ppl could affort it, and from a co. side it make more sense, than again, if i was going to buy a a million dollar product, i would like mine to be one of the kind.

and to add another fact to this topic, just because when a product MSRP is one million doesn't mean it worth one million, manufacture could price it how ever they want, its sad to see how the majority of the public worship celebrity and rying so hard to follow their life style, and think what ever is they do is the step must be follow, do hermes berkin bag really worth 8k-10k? u tell me.......do maybach really worth that much? its a extended version of the merc S class, do escalade really cost that much? when the chasis is the same as any other GM suv.....

You broke down the least relevant of my examples. All mt examlpe were meant to show is that Jay-Z's association is clearly proven to drive value UP rather then down. The color itself as a pigment has nothing to do with that, and is not the selling point, its rather the meaning the color will carry. My maybach example is just and example of who IS look for Jay-Z influence and business. I did a 70 page marketing study on the Maybach in which I got to personally interview several mercedez sales associates, and The head of Maybach manhattan, who is the only liscienced Maybach salesman in New York, as well as look at all the extremely private literature associated with with maybach's 1st year release. You say you've ben to similar events, well according to all the published literature, associated with the Maybach, very few even come close to the presentation and exclusivity associated with the maybach's release, so I dunno how great a scope that would give you. They did all types of crazy shit, like flying the first maybach to hit american soil into the private event in a giant bulletproof glass and chrome shipping Hanging from a helicopter, but maybe you have, I dunno.

It is less about the color itself and more about the branding and image association. Nike, Bape, apple, motorola and all these brands that co-brand and collaborate don't do it for the profitiability directly from the products. Its not as if the various collaborative efforts nike has done with their SBs bring in immense direct profits, because they only make about a 1000 or so pairs of supremes, stussy's, inkle's and so on, but rather it is done to keep the base products fresh and relevant. It's a mater of image direction, and the Exact HUE that Jay-Z is developing will simply be the signature so that people can know Jay-Z is associatedwith the product. The Product being sold packaged as "Jay-Z blue" is not just a color, its the equivilent to a jordan or a swoosh. Point blank pop-culture has shown that Jay-Z association can selling anything from 90 dollar sneakers to 90,000 dollar watches, the addition of the color is simply to make that distinction more visual. Its simply a stronger, more identifiable conduit to use to allow the casual noticer that this brand/product/event has Jay-Z's stamp of approval. It may not matter to some of ya'll personally, or even me, but the fact remains that businesses want to get Jay-Z stamp of approval, and now it comes in the form of a patented color. The color and collaborations will not be used to just sell

how does jay-z get respect from unreleated demographics for his music? I would content that there aren't very many people outside of the 13-34 male demographic into his music. I suppose you could talk about socio-economic demographics but aren't many different ones that are big jay-z fans.

The thing about this collab with Maybach that confuses me is that there can't be THAT many jay-zfans that are in the market for a Maybach. I guess as the very worse this will just generate a ton of press and publicity for Maybach, though I don't understand why Maybach isn't worried about diluting the brand. Maybe it'll make enough press for 10 rap labels to each lease one for their rappers to have in the videos.

minya- there is no way to compare two chicks that basically sing other peoples songs and a person that writes all his music as well as plenty of other artists

10-first off 13-34 is a HUGE age demographic, and beyond that I don't understand how you can say various socio-economic demographics don't love his work, because you have males and females from EVERY race and ECOnomic standing buying his CD's

also I don't know where you heard MAYBACH was collaborating with Jay-Z, all I said was that he was an invited guest at their intraductory Galla events. I dunno about a Maybach collaboration, but one of the most respect watch brands has already collaborated with him making a 90,000 dollar watch. I dunno if he could sell 350,000 dollar cars, but he sold 90,000 dollar watches, so he can probably help sell cars that run the same amount or other gods luxary or not. Again it just seems like you are missing what I've said, Its not about just Maybach's or AP watches or shit thats costs 50,000 plus, because thats like the top rung range of what COULD be sold. There's more money in it for him selling millions of hundred dollar items that the masses can afford, then then 200 $50,000 items that few can afford,

Hap- I wasn't talking about countries or anything pertaining to the BS you posted. Dance parties and the music associated Isn't RAP, Jay-Z is a rapper. You can attempt talk about all the junctures of hip hop and blah blah blah, but DJ's, graffiti artists, and breakdancers, really have nothing to do with where rap music has gone, its rappers, from America, from the hood, and thats about it.

It was a good try though

Edited by jjs home on Dec 22, 2005 at 12:33 AM

Yo homie. I'm don't wanna wreck ur game, but the industry is full of ghost writers. Including Jay-z. Plus, "writing" music in hip-hop is so debatable. Much of the success of hip-hop is based on the "beat" and the "producer" and the marketing blitz. Look at Black Eyed Peas. Blueprint, in my opinion, perfectly reflects the skill and calibar of Jay, but his most recent efforts, in my opinion, are more a reflection of how well tuned and oiled the "machine" is.

Jay-z is a fine rapper, i agree. But he's a "business" man; I like to think of him as the Donald Trump of hip-hop: surround yourself with people that make "you" look good, realize that your greatest asset is "yourself" and bling it to hell.

And to whoever said the Jay-z / Linkin' Park collab CD was amazing is utter bullocks. Linkin' Park is just watered down punk/rap/rock crap that radio stations like KISS Top 40 can savely play to angst ridden teens while also appeasing right-wing christian groups and conversative parents. Everyone knows the group is a shame. THey aren't political. They have no message. Just watered music for 13-14 year old to feel rebellious for nothing. Utter crap. Do yourself a favor is get System of the Down. Peace.