H&M the new APC?

M4TM

i work at one. while some of the items are well designed for the price paid, they are made poorly and not meant to last more than one season - they literally will fall apart on you. which, mind you, is what some people say about apc, haha.

and h&m denim is AWFUL.

H&M and APC are in different leagues. True, it makes no sense comparing &denim quality with brands like Nudie, APC, and the like, but you have to keep in mind the price difference. I have yet to come across any brand producing jeans in cuts and washes like H&M does for such a low price. I'm not even a big H&M fan (only 2 items in my closet), but Canice's remarks are a bit exaggerated in my opinion.

Reporter: "What do you think about western civilization?"

Gandhi: "I think it would be a good idea."

just an observation. thats all.

i just did a quick search of "H&M", and got 2 pages of hits.

a year ago, i'd guess there would have been less that 5.

i've never set foot into an H&M store, so I can't comment on the quality or the difference between H&M and APC, but I have noticed a lot more mention of it recently.

in fact, the first time i noticed the brand was when they dropped kate moss... heh.

No Shirt. No Shoes. No Dice.

Learn it. Know it. Live it.

H+M is like a cool old navy. So much better than old navy in fact. I think they are really good for staples, like dress shirts (striped shirts, BRO!) and various sweaters. But like it said, it's more on par with Old Navy quality than anything else. If you had a H+M around, I couldn't imagine any one going to Old Navy or Gap because it's almost all the same price points, but the designs are cooler and they have really quick turnaround on new products.

Quote:

i work at one. while some of the items are well designed for the price paid, they are made poorly and not meant to last more than one season - they literally will fall apart on you. which, mind you, is what some people say about apc, haha.

and h&m denim is AWFUL.

--- Original message by canice on Dec 6, 2005 01:20 AM

H&M of about five, six years ago made really good quality products. While I can't say very much about their denim, their corduroy jeans and some wool products were of excellent quality and have certainly lasted me a couple of years. They're collections are primarily skewed towards female clothing, however. I've seen generally falling quality over the last couple of years, probably due to the fact that they're trying too much with too little.

I think H&M is good for the stuff that you know is just a trend and will die fast. By the time they fall apart, you wouldn't regret having bought them. Even staple stuff from them like socks, tanks, will wear easily.

They just opened up an H&M in SF so i just had my first exposure to the store this weekend. Like another poster said their price points are similar to gap and old navy but their offerrings are a lot more stylish being that I noticed a lot of their menswear looked like cheaper versions of designer clothing. I even saw a jacket that resembled a $2,000 dior homme jacket someone was posting about on here earlier priced at $60. I would've picked it up if it was my size. H&M's offerrings also have a better fit, on me at least, than a lot of the American offerings at the same price points. Jackets sized Medium really fit like a size medium and aren't 2x too wide. Their quality doesn't seem too great, esp. the wool jackets i saw, but it's refreshing to be able to buy items that have a more "cotoure" look for less than a bill. Kind of like a forever 21 for guys. Oh yeah, and there's a shitload of hot girls shopping there.

Quote:

They just opened up an H&M in SF so i just had my first exposure to the store this weekend. Like another poster said their price points are similar to gap and old navy but their offerrings are a lot more stylish being that I noticed a lot of their menswear looked like cheaper versions of designer clothing. I even saw a jacket that resembled a $2,000 dior homme jacket someone was posting about on here earlier priced at $60. I would've picked it up if it was my size. H&M's offerrings also have a better fit, on me at least, than a lot of the American offerings at the same price points. Jackets sized Medium really fit like a size medium and aren't 2x too wide. Their quality doesn't seem too great, esp. the wool jackets i saw, but it's refreshing to be able to buy items that have a more "cotoure" look for less than a bill. Kind of like a forever 21 for guys. Oh yeah, and there's a shitload of hot girls shopping there.

--- Original message by crisis on Dec 6, 2005 12:24 PM

Hot girls shopping at H+M SF? Cool i'll be checking that out soon. thanks for the tip!

H&M is the new BAPE.

Orange over-dyed selvedge H&M jeans with "H" and "M" painted on the back pockets.

i can see it now.

-kiya

All the Targets I've ever shopped in smelled really nice.

In other news, I've got a bunch of H&M stuff that's lasted the test of time on me,

so I'm going to vouch a lonely vote against everyone saying their stuff 'literally

falls apart'.

H&M, however, is nowhere near APC. Not even close.

I wouldn't stick H&M into Gap or Old Navy territory either... there was a phenomenal article in NY Times Magazine a while back about H&M's business structure and ethos and whatnot, talking about how they manage to profit by selling at their price point, how they manage to source so much clothing so fast, et cetera. They get new stock every week . Not new stock of whatever was already in stores, but new designs. Every week. That's genius shit right there.

i used to hate h&m but have learned to appreciate it.

especially when AA tee's cost 20 bucks at the store, and they indeed fall apart.

i stand by h&m tees, cus for 6 bucks, u can't go wrong... and they don't unravel.

but i usually just stick to basics like tees, hoodies. some things you should never buy at discount chains...

i have to admit tho... sometimes i'm too lazy to do the wash, and i just stop by h&m

to get a tee and some jeans or whatever. LOL like hell, i'll have clean clothes for under 50 bucks. which is probably why i have at least 10 white and 10 black tees from them.

speaking of .... has anyone been to the topshop that opened in nyc? how is it?

gap and old navy sell basics in fits designed for the typical porky north american consumer. h&m reproduces whatever's most recently been on the catwalks in cheap fabrics and with less than spectacular construction, but their shit always fits well. case in point: an olive military shirt with two chest pockets and epaulets that's cut really slim (a size small that's 17.5 inches from pit-to-pit) in 97% cotton/3% spandex.