konsl

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

Unbelievable. Thanks.

--- Original message by Edge_Of_Denim on Feb 28, 2006 06:53 PM

For what its worth, supply is always pretty limited when I see them. So a 36 inseam may exist. At least its better than 5EP and their fixed 32 inseam :P May want to email them or call around and see. The guys at South Willard in Los Angeles seem pretty knowledgeable on Rag & Bone.

Edited by PG2G on Feb 28, 2006 at 07:01 PM

Quote:

minya, I've heard that the leg on R&B runs short, like they don't accomadate better than a 34 leg. Is this true, based on what you've seen? I mean, one of the founders of this line used to be a friggin' model, so I would thnk they'd have a tall guy at least partially in mind, no?

--- Original message by Edge_Of_Denim on Feb 28, 2006 06:44 PM

I've never tried them on (just checked them out/handled them), so unfortunately I don't know.

minya, I agree about the Rolo SOMA store, you put it well. I never was able to quite put my finger on what bugged me about that store but that's a pretty good description.

The Market store did indeed a have a lot of Nice Collective. They also had a Belstaff leather cafe racer jacket that had me drooling (and fit like a glove.) Unfortunately I did not have the $1295 I needed to take it home with me. icon_smile_dead.gif

PG2G, I think you just have a mis-marked pair, I think the letter designations are as you described. That's how they are on the web site, and how they were at Rolo, except that Rolo didn't have the selvage model, which is the one I wanted.

ask a cassowary

I've never really figured out R&B's naming system, just that you kinda have to pick them up and inspect them to know what you've got. The only differences I can really tell ya is that the fits are dependent on the number, and I THINK they get slimmer as they go up. The slimmest I've seen is the RB11 and the loosest is the RB1, but I've not seen the RB12 - they may be slimmer.

Also, I think both the R&B designers - Rufus Wainright and Nathan Bogle - were models.

As for the inseams, there just isn't much of a market for the longer inseams. There are a few people who need the really long ones and a few who need the really short ones, but most people need 30 or 32, so R&B, as a small-run company, is just making the most intelligent business decision.

As for the inseams, there just isn't much of a market for the longer inseams.

Well, I beg to differ. Where does that thinking come from? How can it seem like a good idea to stop manufacturing at 32"? Commercial brands even offer longer inseams. It makes no sense whatsoever. None at all. What, were these two jokers, Wainright and Bogel, 5'8" models? I wonder what cast their thinking in that area? It's odd.

Edited by Edge_Of_Denim on Mar 1, 2006 at 08:23 AM

Edge, seriously man. The average height of males is 5'9". That's a 30" inseam right there. A 32 is good up to 6'0" to 6'1" (I wear a 32" inseam and I'm 6'0" it's perfect, a couple folds at the bottom just how I like it). Guys above 6'0" are seriously rare, though they do exist. Before you get all offensive in your arguments, just look at some facts and look around you.

My point is that yes, you'll sell 28" inseams, and you'll sell 34" and 36" inseams, but if you're low on cash and it's really important that you sell as high percentage of a stock as possible at full retail price, you've got to limit your offerings to keep your company afloat. I'm not necessarily saying that R&B is poor, but they are relatively new and definitely only do small runs, compared to Nudie or APC.

Think logically before you pull out your guns.

Edited by wild_whiskey on Mar 1, 2006 at 03:19 PM

You're 6" and get "a couple folds at the bottom". Fine. The average male height may be 5"9 or so, as you say, but guys my height or better even are not "seriously rare". I do look around me. Sometimes I feel as if I am in the minority, struck by how tall some guys are. Not too often, but it does happen. And, no, I don't hang with basketball players. I think I also said that some of my commercial jeans are 34" and are fine. I desire the extra length in speciality denim due to shrinking issues. I beleive I said that as well. My '47's are a 34" and while I would prefer an extra inch, I can live with it. But washing them... Finally, who exactly did I offend? What would come across as merely an increduloous expression in a face to face conversation, on the net may appear snarky. I'll try to explicate my thoughts more gingerly in the future. Peace.

Yea I went back and re-read it and realized I got too defensive right away.

Your LVC's measure 34", or they are tagged 34?

Quote: I do look around me. Sometimes I feel as if I am in the minority, struck by how tall some guys are. Not too often, but it does happen.

I know what you mean because I feel the same way as well, and at 6', I'm above the average by a good few inches and sometimes I feel short in a crowd of guys taller than me. But I've been keeping better track of it, I'm taller than like 85% of people that I know.

i'm 6'0" or 6'1" and if I wear 32" inseam jeans folded twice i would be wearing capris. A 32" inseam would fit fine, without any folds, if I wore my pants down around my ass....which I sometimes do. I like them scrunched up, though, so a 34 is better. A 36 is the best.

^ That's exactly my point. Actually, today, I'm wearing some black Lucky Brand, 34 leg. I love the fit. Matter of fact, I went back and bought a second pair. This was about three-four years ago, at least. I just wish they were button front. But, whatcha' gonna do? I seldom wash them and they look good as new. They're hard-wearing, yet get the job done when worn with a blazer. It's funny, Lucky Brand shows me nothing these days in the denim department. Anyway, I hope, when they arrive, that I end up loving those black Denime as much. On a computer screen they're killing me, so if I like them half as much out of the box that's a definite score.

I think you'd be looking at mid 200s for non selvege and up to around 300 for the selvege, or it could be more depending on the store. HTC sells the non selvge for $310 I think...

Edited by PG2G on Mar 3, 2006 at 06:58 AM

Rag&Bone update. Apparently theyve been really slow with getting this season's shipped out, but they are starting to arrive in stores now. I know Mauro at the Denim Bar just got them in. He usually has very competitive pricing too and is a good guy to deal with. I recommend going to DB if you're looking for Rag&Bones.

As for the HTC price, that's just ridiculous. $310 for non-selvage? I know a lot of other companies (True Religion comes to mind) charge that much for non-selvage jeans, but I'd expect a more reasonable price point from Rag&Bone. There is a selvage model selling for $275 or so on Active Endeavors right now.

Quote:

Rag&Bone update. Apparently theyve been really slow with getting this season's shipped out, but they are starting to arrive in stores now. I know Mauro at the Denim Bar just got them in. He usually has very competitive pricing too and is a good guy to deal with. I recommend going to DB if you're looking for Rag&Bones.

As for the HTC price, that's just ridiculous. $310 for non-selvage? I know a lot of other companies (True Religion comes to mind) charge that much for non-selvage jeans, but I'd expect a more reasonable price point from Rag&Bone. There is a selvage model selling for $275 or so on Active Endeavors right now.

--- Original message by wild_whiskey on Mar 6, 2006 11:57 AM

It isn't R&B, its the store... afaik. Their markup is pretty crazy. I'm pretty sure the selvege were under $300 at South Willard also. I remember being rather turned off when I saw they were selling worn 5EP for $340, when it was $300 at American Rag.

Quote:

Yes. Definitely slimmer than the 6, and they have buttons for braces on the outside, which is way cool.

--- Original message by wild_whiskey on Mar 6, 2006 05:45 PM

Umm... yeah, braces icon_smile.gif

I think I'll definitely make those my next pair. I wish I wasn't stuck with a $200+ credit at Ron Herman though... was thinking about using it on a pair of SSDS, but the 11s looks so nice. Guess I can try and find something else to use it on.

Quote:
Quote:

Yes. Definitely slimmer than the 6, and they have buttons for braces on the outside, which is way cool.

--- Original message by wild_whiskey on Mar 6, 2006 05:45 PM

Umm... yeah, braces icon_smile.gif

I think I'll definitely make those my next pair. I wish I wasn't stuck with a $200+ credit at Ron Herman though... was thinking about using it on a pair of SSDS, but the 11s looks so nice. Guess I can try and find something else to use it on.

--- Original message by PG2G on Mar 6, 2006 05:54 PM

I hate the word "suspenders."