------ Stone Roses ----

englandmj7

Quote:

Just interested to see how many people have any knowledge of the Stone Roses and/or Ian Brown........I was having this argument with a friend where it was said that the Stone Roses were almost single-handedly responsible for the "street fashion" we know today.....I am not talking about Supreme and Stussy garbage, but those dudes were wearing baggy printed t-shirts, slim jeans, Superstars, and M-65s when you were shitting diapers and they don't get any respect, in fact most people don't even know who the fuck they are........its sad.........

Opinions anyone? Anyone agree/disagree..........

--- Original message by englandmj7 on Dec 1, 2005 12:31 AM

No Bones about it, The Stone Roses are the business. Dunno if they wore tight Jeans though man, "It's gotta be a loose fit" as The Mondays say, they pretty much wore loose leg Jeans. There are alot of good books/docos/films on the summer of love, the second one that is.....circa 89'.

The first album is unbeatable in terms of sound, attitude, scene at the time, everything. Second coming is still an ace album in my books too. Ian Brown has gone on to produce 4, or is it 5 wicked solo albums. Don't know what happened to the Sea Horses? Mani is with Primal Scream.....Reni, Don't know

I hope to see The King Monkey perform in Sydney Jan 5th!!! Rock on57412.jpg

As for the "Street Fashion" link, I don't think you can hook it to any single person or band....But Stussy and FJ were starters imo

http://photobucket.com/albums/y278/andewhall/

On a personal level, the Stone Roses and the Madchester scene in '89 / 90 was what set me off on my sartorial path. That and the tradition of spending a fortune on clothes just to go bruising it up at the football of a Saturday afternoon. Many a fine garment ruined there.

Times have changed and styles have moved on, but I still have similar tastes to Ian Brown.

i think without a doubt, not only did Ian Brown and the Roses make a HUGE impact to music, but certainly with fashion also. Perhaps not John or Mani, but Reni (i don't think anyone in fashion, music etc caused an increase in Fisherman Hats being worn like Reni did) and Ian were certainly style icons during their peek. Their contribution to the fashion industry was perhaps not directly linked to "street fashion", but there were certain elements to their style that seem relevant today. The whole "baggy" trend though not invented by the two, were definetly front to the spotlight given their success.

in the end, Ian continues to stand out as a leader, not follower of fashion, and any individual that can continually do so as he does, in my opinion deserves his/her just due...

just my thoughts...

Reni's hats aside, I can't really see an arguement for the Roses being fashion icons. They basically wore the same hoolie-turned-raver uniform that everyone else in Manchester (and quickly the rest of the UK) seemed to be wearing in the late 80s and early 90s: Joe Bloggs tees and baggy flared jeans, Kickers, Kangol, tie-dye hoodies. They were one of the groups that made the look popular, but they certainly didn't come up with it.

Second album was shite too.

Edited by Yakboy Equals Nurturer on Dec 2, 2005 at 08:49 AM