Kitchen Stuff! - Plate, Cookware, Gadgets

moondog

So I have gotten really into buying kitchen junk as of lately. I'm looking currently for my third plate set. Im looking for some "zanny shapes in white" dinning ware.

I got my self a dehydrator and have been really into making my own nachos. red bell pepper and carrot have been my co workers favorite so far. I should have bought one of these sooner.

I want to buy an ice cream maker, but i dont know if its worth it. Let me know if you have one and if you use it and what not.

p.s - iron chef is the greatest show

pps - not the america one, fuck bobby flay.

not wanting to turn this into a debate on the merits of Iron Chef US, but the American version is infinitely better.

Dolly has an ice cream maker and we busted it out at the cottage this year to make Tequila Lime Sorbet. Definitely cool to have around, but a big space-taker if you're lacking room.

Also, I want this entire line.

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/shop/cookware/cookware-le-creuset/index.cfm?cm%5Ftype=gnav

Dolly has an ice cream maker and we busted it out at the cottage this year to make Tequila Lime Sorbet. Definitely cool to have around, but a big space-taker if you're lacking room.

we ? hmmph.

i want an emile henry plum tagine for my next kitchen purchase:

emile-henry-tagine2.jpg

also, one time cinderella's brother saw ludacris in a gadget store in atlanta, and he was apparently freaking out over this egg timer that doesn't tip over in boiling water.

Recent purchase:

389871.jpg

Snobbish foams here I come.

No I actually bought it to try out a recipe for the 30-second sponge cake Albert Adria made for no reservations

Nice. Is it from Kayser ?

Corter: I'd get a Zwilling joint. Even their cheaper knives are solid.

I can cook everything with my four star utility knife. You only need one good knife. I'd invest in one utility knife with a comfortable handle and just enough weight to provide balance and strength. Everything else is pure marketing.

Subscribed....this thread could end up being very entertaining and informative.

If you have lots of money to blow I suggest getting a Le Creuset pan. It will definitely last you a long time.

Good one but I'd suggest STAUB over LE CREUSET. The quality is about the same but they look better imo. STAUB design is on point. They even have a black pot featured in the current issue of huge

So I have gotten really into buying kitchen junk as of lately. I'm looking currently for my third plate set. Im looking for some "zanny shapes in white" dinning ware.

I got my self a dehydrator and have been really into making my own nachos. red bell pepper and carrot have been my co workers favorite so far. I should have bought one of these sooner.

I want to buy an ice cream maker, but i dont know if its worth it. Let me know if you have one and if you use it and what not.

p.s - iron chef is the greatest show

pps - not the america one, fuck bobby flay.

Def subscribing to this one. I'm a major foodie.

Krups is pretty much regarded as the best ice cream maker..makers out there. I used to have one several years ago and they were amazing..I don't remember the model though, but I'm gonna try to get another one this summer.

• 3 weeks later...

This thread is awesome. Here are a few of my more prized kitchen possessions:

This is an infrared and probe thermometer, the kind where you pull a trigger and it reads the temp of whatever you're pointing it at, complete with novelty laser pointer to see where you're aiming. My scale is also pictured.

DSC03943.jpg

Shitty pic, but there's my magnificent stand mixer

DSC03944.jpg

Very old and well seasoned cast iron skillet and dutch oven

DSC03945.jpg

My sexy Japanese Shun chef's knife

DSC03946.jpg

• 1 month later...

I've read about the KA mixer motors leaking oil in operation. People getting oil in their batters and shit. I'm kind of sitting on the fence with this one. The only reason really I'd want a standmixer is to knead bread hands-free (hook attachment), but a handmixer is all I need for now.

pro: They're really cheap on sale though!

Some workhorses in my kitchen:

146397.jpg

3.5 qt tough

41EV2EBFSQL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

KA 5-ply stainless steel clad

Columbian%20Home%20Graniteware%20Covered%20Roaster18-22%20Lbs19x135x8.jpg

enamel roaster gets a lot of use

I really want a Wusthof santoku or chef. WAANT.

• 1 year later...

i just bought a 7" shun ken onion santoku. having only used a Henkel chef before, it takes some getting used to. the handle forces you to hold it slightly ahead of the bolster, which is bothersome for me right now because i have a fractured finger, but i think will be quite alright when all's well. its got some weight to it (the bolster is pretty dense), but it's balanced perfectly, it's a good rocker.

Photo4.jpg

(posted earlier in recent purchases)

i keep looking for excuses to chop things. only real complaint is the backside of the knife has that groove in it, which makes using the back to scrape off your cutting board almost impossible (and who wants to drag their blade?). pretty simple to solve, but kindof a pain.

haha yeah, your purchase made me realize how bad my current knife sucks. i went to try out the wusthof vs shun, and both felt nice in my hand, shun a bit heavier imo. didn't get to try the ken onion, looks interesting though... will have to go back to try.

any particular reason why you chose shun over the rest? better construction? i know absolutely nothing about knives, just that full tang is good... lol

the woman who helped me out told me a lot about folded steel and how it should hold its edge better than most other blades on the market (i.e. german knives), and how the hollow ground blade should make it glide through whatever you're cutting more easily.

however, i mostly just liked the feel of the handle, and by extension the feel of the knife in my hand, and was told that this is the primary concern when buying a knife - essentially, all knives that cost upwards of $150 are going to cut well and last forever with care. the weight was a selling point too, after holding it a lot of the others just felt insubstantial.

(the issue with the broken finger cramping up became apparent after repetitive use.)

• 8 months later...

resurrect.

from what i gather a santoku is supposed to be like a jack of all trades type knife (apparently made popular in the US by rachel ray). it actually means 3 virtues. san meaning 3 (like 3rensho right??) chop/cut/slice or meat/poultry/fish. so you can use it for a lot of different things but it wont be good at one thing as specific knives are for each purpose.

i think people still prefer a standard gyuto (japanese chef knife) over the santoku if you were to have one knife. but then again its all preference.

japan > all else when it comes to knives (samurai concept)

i just "learned" this stuff from reading shit on the internet.

i would buy a shun over german brands and such but i dont have $$. but comparing shuns to REAL japanese knives that are hand made from descendants of sword makers (hatori hanzo concept), theyre peasant status.

but we're just cutting food here.. probably on a shitty cutting board.. to make food that tastes just ok.

i just bought a MAC santoku from amazon. i will probably eventually buy a nakiri and a gyuto when i know what the fuck im talking about.

that is all i have to say.