ROGUE STATUS...new t-shirt brand, real nice

bornwithit

ROGUE STATUS is a relatively new brand out of LA that is really doing things. I just got a couple tees last week, good lookin out Johan. The pic in the link speaks for itself as far as design but the shirt quality is real nice too. I'm not a fan of conventional artsy design t-shirt companies. ROGUE STATUS has the originality of brands like Just Another Rich Kid, Mighty Healthy, In4mation, and Spoonfed (all brands worth checkin out as well). This post is to see if anyone else has heard about ROGUE. If you haven't, I think the fall line drops in 06, so keep your eyes open for ROGUE STATUS, for real though. I'm not playin. Check the link for a pic of the shirt I just got.

http://static.flickr.com/28/50312979_bc2c842233_o.jpg

Props to SlamXHype for the pic

lord forgive him, he got those dark forces in him

the way i look at it, if you can get quality guaranteed with stock, why not. I know I wouldn't want to be sewing nothin.

and let me know about the other gun print shirts you've seen. I've seen gun print block, but never an all over like ROGUE. I would like to see the other ones, maybe somethin I haven't checked out yet.

i make tshirts and was doing the gun bullshit 2 years ago and we make all of our t's cut and sew. but whatever.

on the blanks vs. cut/sew tip: i think it is fine for companies to use blanks and plastisols but dont charge an arm and a leg for them. and you are right, you are going to get quality, low minimums and pretty good consistancy.

on the contrary peopel should appreciate the value of cut/sew garments. it is like jv vs. varcity. some people are happy to be on the b team.

and another good point is that the boutique industry did kind of forget about bigger guys. i have realized that with some of my friends. they think i am joking when they try on a large or even xl. i think this emo style is almost over anyway

"yawn."^^ the only way you can back that post up is if you have a killer line. fill us in.

we started on american apparel so thats why im not a hater. plus a ton of people love the way those t's fit. i know dov and he is absolutely killing it. i am calling it right now that aa is going to do the same type of thing to the industry nike did to shoes. for us it became important to design a shirt from the bottom up. graphics, garment construction, washes, etc. but it came as we grew.

Quote:

i make tshirts and was doing the gun bullshit 2 years ago and we make all of our t's cut and sew. but whatever.

on the blanks vs. cut/sew tip: i think it is fine for companies to use blanks and plastisols but dont charge an arm and a leg for them. and you are right, you are going to get quality, low minimums and pretty good consistancy.

on the contrary peopel should appreciate the value of cut/sew garments. it is like jv vs. varcity. some people are happy to be on the b team.

and another good point is that the boutique industry did kind of forget about bigger guys. i have realized that with some of my friends. they think i am joking when they try on a large or even xl. i think this emo style is almost over anyway

--- Original message by ok on Nov 11, 2005 02:57 PM

Hey OK, you mentioned plastisols which is textile ink right. How mant different types of ink are there to use, I have heard of discharge ink. A few prints I have done been really thick and plastic like......I think I have found a better screenprinter, need to go have good chat with him.

http://photobucket.com/albums/y278/andewhall/

I'm currentlyusing Next Level Apparel blanks. I dye them in house and use discharge inks for most of my designs. Occasionally I use water based inks. I do everything in house at this point...except cut and sew the blank shirt. I certainly have a "perfect" shirt in mind, and hope to have it manufactured next year.

I also agree that larger guys are left out of the mix in most of these t-shirt lines. I'm a pretty big guy....6'2. 235 and wear a size 52 jacket. I can't even get into a XXL in either American Apparel, or Alternative Apparel.

Andewhall.....You can't use discharge inks on garment dyed shirts. The shirts need to be dyed with a reactive dye that will allow the dye to be "discharged" when you print with it. Feel free to email me if you want more details, or so you can explain what you want done when meeting with your screen printer.

Conceived and executed on the working waterfront of Portland, Maine. [email protected]

most printers use plastisols because they dont dry until they are heat cured. if you use water based inks you have to use an extender in most cases. or what i do is wash the screen after every print so the ink doesnt dry. my guess is that your printer only uses plastisols. but you can tell him to print with a softer hand and not use flashes as much.

Plastisol inks are the standard for most screen printers for a couple reasons. They are easy to work with, and like OK mentioned, they have to be heat cured. The ink actually has to reach approx. 320 degrees before it cures. Prints made with plastisol inks tend to be much brighter than other inks as well. The reason is that you are essentially putting plastic on the garment. The downside to this is that you end up with significant "hand". The other big reason you see plastisol is dark shirts. It is much more difficult to print on black, or other dark colored shirts, with water based inks. Water based inks are translucent and plastisol inks are, to varying degrees, opaque.

OK...When I print with waterbase I flood the screen....then stroke....then flood again, leaving the screen covered with ink. I've found that I have much less trouble with screen drying that way. If you are flashing between colors you will always have trouble with waterbased printing because the platen heats up when you flash. I try and use wet-on-wet technique when using waterbase. Most of my stuff is done with dischage inks, which are also waterbased, but for what ever reason I don't have much trouble with screen blockage/drying with the discharge.

Conceived and executed on the working waterfront of Portland, Maine. [email protected]

Hey thanks Jay and OK. Good info indeed, I need to get schooled up before I go see this new guy to do some more prints. My last screen printer was hopeless, I used to hang out there and watch him print sometimes. He once rushed a batch through the dryer coveryor belt and they were not set properly they actually washed off! I had to ditch him.

So is water ink based no good at all for dark colors? Water based is perfect for light colurs yeah? Maybe for dark shirts using plastisol, It needs to be flashed just once or experimented with I guess to get a softer hand. I am not sure how many times my previous screens were flashed but they were quite thick and plastic like. Even on the light colours the goon did them really thick.

http://photobucket.com/albums/y278/andewhall/

Bronson, that Zoltar shirt is nice, but just like I said. I have seen the whole block print thing done before. It was the all-over print that really caught my eye. And also, ROGUE STATUS isn't just about gun shirts, I dont have pics of the rest of the line, but they are doin nice stuff all around.

By the way, I love how this post turned into a serious debate of cut and sew vs. stock.