General TV show discussion

mrip

Mhmm. I'm convinced that Americans would be better off if The Wire was intelligently integrated into HS curriculum, a la 20th Century US history, Dickens, Catcher in the Rye, Gatsby, humanities, etc.

While at UCLA Law, one of my wife's professors taught a seminar on race, capitalism, and punishment using The Wire as foundation for the course.

David Simon Agrees to Make Sixth Season of ‘The Wire’ If U.S. Agrees to End War on Drugs

Fuck, Mag, don't even get me started on the War on (Some) Drugs. Just watched an episode of Foreign Correspondent that was all about how the War of Drugs has changed the political and social landscape of Acapulco (and the rest of Mexico).

If the War on (Some) Drugs was any other government program it would have been scrapped, due to inefficacy, decades ago...

ive tried watching the first episode of the wire on three different occasions and i just cant seem to get into it

I don't think we can help you. The opening scene of The Wire is without a doubt the best opener ever... no question. If it doesn't pull you in right then, you're fucked.

Homicide: Life on The Street can give you a mild taste as well. I started it awhile back, havent finished it yet. The black/red name thing is from this show. Also just the general attitude of the detectives. It's oretty great imo but consistently grey and uncheerful.

i gave up on dexter a third of the way through s3 :/

I gave up during S3 too but then caught up when S5 was still airing and I don't regret it at all. It's gotten better, less annoying caracters and stupid sidestories, more suspense and main caracter developments.