fancy pens

seenmy

They're no worse than any other luxury item...at least pens don't really go out of style.

I agree that they are classic, but....I feel like there's a level of "appropriateness" that has to come with fine pens, as with many other luxury items such as watches, etc.

When you think of the "classic" image of a montblanc user I'm sure you don't think of a college student such as myself taking notes in class on looseleaf paper.

Maybe i'm attaching too much peripheral bullshit to the items themselves (especially given that the general mentality on this board is buy whatever the fuck you want) but that's how i perceive it.

edit: don't want to make it sound like I think you or the op shouldn't own one, just saying in general.

with pens, even more so than watches, there's a fine line between pretentious douche and appropriately classic. i wouldn't get one as a college student for taking notes. one of my buddies i lived with in undergrad got a montblanc and the next time we had a party, some drunk slut stole it from his room. point is, there's a time and a place. the problem is that even when you get older, using a luxury item like that is a bit of a balancing act. you have to be aware of who you'll be around and (if you have to impress them) what they'll think. can't use it in front of some judges b/c they'll think "douchebag kid lawyer making too much money." can't use it in front of some clients b/c they'll think "paying this firm way too much." i've collected a couple montblancs from graduation gifts, etc. i've used them twice - once to sign my kethuba and once during my first swearing in ceremony. usually just stick to lamy studio or lamy 2000 - they don't scream $300 but still feel good and write well.

^^ I see what you both mean. Montblanc is definitely the most pretentious brand of pen around...I don't use my fountain pens for anything other than christmas cards and things like that. I use the simple cheap(ish) MB for everyday. You'd have to really look at it to even know how makes it. Writing with a fountain pen at an inappropriate time can scream "douche".

go with a lamy. they are designy, affordable and fun (for lack of a better word). in my opinion the best lamy is the classic safari line (come in all different styles) and colors which you probably already knew. they flow great to.

as for mont blanc being 'douche bag'... i guess? the classic style all black mont blanc pen with a tiny gold ban and emblem in my opinion isin't that loud. but like others said there is a time and place. since you are rollin' deep with cartier it seems like the obvious choice to match.

your cartier note pad, i assume its some agenda style book with paper. whats the paper like in that thing?

lamy.jpg

go with a lamy. they are designy, affordable and fun (for lack of a better word). in my opinion the best lamy is the classic safari line (come in all different styles) and colors which you probably already knew. they flow great to.

as for mont blanc being 'douche bag'... i guess? the classic style all black mont blanc pen with a tiny gold ban and emblem in my opinion isin't that loud. but like others said there is a time and place. since you are rollin' deep with cartier it seems like the obvious choice to match.

your cartier note pad, i assume its some agenda style book with paper. whats the paper like in that thing?

lamy.jpg

I love my Lamy! I have a red safari .. love it to death. Thinking of picking up one of those retractable ballpoints for days i don't feel like treating pens carefully (though I think the Safari is bulletproof)

Sheaffer Legacy II's..if you can't find those then just get the Sheaffer Heritage Legacy... modern version of the Legacy II but the nib is not as smooth I feel.

Mont Blanc 145 Chopin... or get the 146 LeGrand if you want to be more flashy.

Pelikano M600 or M800... some feel that they are overhyped thou.

Lamy Safari is a great pen for that price but I don't think it matches what you are looking for...

Wait till you get started on fancy ink... ;)

http://swisherpens.com/

http://www.pengallery.com/