Levi's new premium line "Capital E"

mouko

Didn't see this posted. Thought it might be of some interest.

Source:http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/27/fashion/thursdaystyles/27ROW.html

Quote: Still One Leg at a Time

When Levi Strauss & Company introduced a small red tab on the back pocket of its jeans in 1936, the Levi's logo was spelled all in capital letters. In 1971 someone in the company's marketing department decided it would be clever to print the "E" in lower case.

This bit of denim trivia is probably interesting only to true aficionados of jeans, but that would constitute about half the country these days. So Levi's is capitalizing on this history and the demand for expensive jeans by introducing a collection for spring called Capital E, which the company describes as ultrapremium.

"We have had premium jeans since before there was a such a thing as a premium market, but this is a bit of a playground for our designers," said Amy Gemellaro, a spokeswoman for Levi's.

The line, which replaces Levi's past extensions into the premium market, looks not much different from its classic offerings, except that the denim is finer quality and the prices have doubled to $140 to $375. The cuts, however, were modified for the fashion customer, as in skinny jeans long enough to be stacked around the ankles, women's chinos that have been tailored close to the body in white twill and a slim trucker's jean jacket with floral patchwork at the sleeve.

Quote:

They need to make a slim fitting jean with much better indigo than the LVC line. LVC's downfall is that the indigo is shit. Have you seen a good fade on some broken in LVC's?

--- Original message by Serge d Nimes on Oct 31, 2005 07:51 PM

Agree, LVCs dont seem to ever come out as good as most of the japanese brands.

SOME GIRLS ARE BIGGER THAN OTHERS

Quote:
Quote:

They need to make a slim fitting jean with much better indigo than the LVC line. LVC's downfall is that the indigo is shit. Have you seen a good fade on some broken in LVC's?

--- Original message by Serge d Nimes on Oct 31, 2005 07:51 PM

Agree, LVCs dont seem to ever come out as good as most of the japanese brands.

--- Original message by horriblyjollyjinx on Nov 1, 2005 02:51 AM

i have noticed that some of the 'limited edition' numbered pieces from LVC are frequently "made in the USA of imported fabric"...i assume this denim is coming from Japan

LEVI'S KILLED THEIR OWN IMAGE OF A DECENT QUALITY JEAN MAKER THE DAY THEY CEASED PRODUCTION OF THE SELVAGE 501'S, AND MADE ALL THEIR PRODUCTION OUT OF THE CURRENT CHEAPO SHIT DENIM (1983). THEY SURFED ON THE REPUTATION THEY PREVIOUSLY HAD, AND THE MARKET'S GENERAL IGNORANCE. I FIND IT VERY LAUGHABLE THAT TODAY, THEY MARKET "PREMIUM" LINES LIKE LVC, AT THE RIDICULOUS PRICES THEY DO, WHEN ALL THEY'RE DOING IS REOFFERING THE SAME PRODUCT THEY NEVER SHOULD HAVE TAKEN AWAY FROM THEIR CLIENTELE.

IMAGINE COCA COLA ALL OF A SUDDEN ONLY OFFERING BUBBLE-LESS, FLAT, STALE, FISHY-TASTING AND EXPIRED SODAS FOR 12 YEARS, THEN OFFERING A "PREMIUM" LINE, AT TEN TIMES THE ORIGINAL PRICE, BUT WITH NOTHING MORE THAN THE ORIGINAL BUBBLY COKE TASTE. ANYBODY WOULD FIND THAT DISGUSTING AND BOYCOTT THE COMPANY. IN THE LEVI'S CASE, PEOPLE JUST GO AHEAD AND BUY. IN MY CASE, THEY'VE MADE ME A LEE BUYER.

LEVI'S KILLED THEIR OWN IMAGE OF A DECENT QUALITY JEAN MAKER THE DAY THEY CEASED PRODUCTION OF THE SELVAGE 501'S, AND MADE ALL THEIR PRODUCTION OUT OF THE CURRENT CHEAPO SHIT DENIM (1983). THEY SURFED ON THE REPUTATION THEY PREVIOUSLY HAD, AND THE MARKET'S GENERAL IGNORANCE. I FIND IT VERY LAUGHABLE THAT TODAY, THEY MARKET "PREMIUM" LINES LIKE LVC, AT THE RIDICULOUS PRICES THEY DO, WHEN ALL THEY'RE DOING IS REOFFERING THE SAME PRODUCT THEY NEVER SHOULD HAVE TAKEN AWAY FROM THEIR CLIENTELE.

IMAGINE COCA COLA ALL OF A SUDDEN ONLY OFFERING BUBBLE-LESS, FLAT, STALE, FISHY-TASTING AND EXPIRED SODAS FOR 12 YEARS, THEN OFFERING A "PREMIUM" LINE, AT TEN TIMES THE ORIGINAL PRICE, BUT WITH NOTHING MORE THAN THE ORIGINAL BUBBLY COKE TASTE. ANYBODY WOULD FIND THAT DISGUSTING AND BOYCOTT THE COMPANY. IN THE LEVI'S CASE, PEOPLE JUST GO AHEAD AND BUY. IN MY CASE, THEY'VE MADE ME A LEE BUYER.

• 7 months later...
Quote:

http://www.levisstore.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2200633&cp=2068573.2075200.2075206&parentPage=family

What do you guys think of this? The cut looks pretty good and it seems to be raw denim.

--- Original message by taromakino on Jun 10, 2006 02:16 AM

I dig that.

Nice fit / color

I been rappin' for about 17 years..

I don't write my stuff anymore,

I just kick it from my head you know what I'm sayin I can do that.

No disrespect... but that's how I am.

Quote:

http://www.levisstore.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2200633&cp=2068573.2075200.2075206&parentPage=family

What do you guys think of this? The cut looks pretty good and it seems to be raw denim.

--- Original message by taromakino on Jun 10, 2006 02:16 AM

that description says rigid denim and others that say rigid talk about the shrinkage (3-4 inches in length, 1-2 in the waist) so it probably is.